IGNORED

History teachers might consider diverting from prepared lesson plans

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta

History's made every day, but the events of this last month and next few weeks could shape the globe's prospects for the next century...and economic conditions dramatically in the short term. What? No oil?

As events in Libya overnight spiralled out of control, with dozens if not hundreds killed, the parliament buildng in Tripoli on fire, and output at one of the country's oil fields reported to have been stopped by a workers' strike, BP has said it will soon begin evacuating some of its personnel from the 9th largest producer of oil. And just to complete the total chaos, Iran warships are now going to pass the Suez

Gas went up .05 a gallon in the past week. Expect Summer to get expensive for driving. Getting within a few cents of $4 for premium around here.

John Ranalletta

The cost of gasoline, while of vital concern is does not have as great an effect on global unrest as the price of food. This graph represents the price of corn on global markets.

It also suggests (to me) that subsidizing the turning of corn into fuel at a net btu loss is tantamont to starving poorer people like Mexicans for whom maize is a staple food. That's not being political as both parties are represented in corn states.

5462.jpg.6135830fe9aab278f6817b779cef8c63.jpg

Gas went up .05 a gallon in the past week. Expect Summer to get expensive for driving. Getting within a few cents of $4 for premium around here.
Gas has gone up 37c a gallon since I last bought any (Jan 17th). Sadly I have a 900 mile weekend coming up at 12mpg.

Totally agree on using food as a gasoline substitute, stupid idea.

John Ranalletta

Bahrain F1 race, a royals' party for the rich has been canceled. Watch for other races:

(Compliments of Batracer's Pieczar)

Bahrain%20F1.jpg

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I'm ready!

1188683834_NcmoY-M.jpg

Sadly I have a 900 mile weekend coming up at 12mpg.

12mpg? Dude! It's time to get your bike looked at! :smile:

At 48mpg, I'm really not that worried about the price per gallon. It's just an excuse to ride more. As for corn to ethanol, it's right up there with farm subsidies in my book.

Archived