IGNORED

Fuel Strip

na1g

OK, I've been lurking in the shadows of this forum for a while as I dither over purchasing a new R1200RT. So I'm the new kid (67!) on the block. Coming from an FJR1300.

I think I can get past the final drive issue - the problem may not be solved but it seems to be reduced. Which leaves the fuel level system as my main concern with the RT. I can't be running out of gas in the middle of Newfoundland or New Mexico. If I carry a spare strip to replace a defective one, will it work at all without a dealer calibrating it?

I need a little push to make me buy!

pete

If I carry a spare strip to replace a defective one, will it work at all without a dealer calibrating it?

Welcome, Pete!

I cannot answer your question (I think the answer is no), but a broken strip is not going to strand you on its own. It would be a lot easier to just set your trip meter each time you fill up and if the gauge seems funky, then just start looking for fuel at about 250 miles.

Jay

Afternoon Pete

You can carry a spare (fuel strip) and even install it yourself but as of now you will need a dealer computer to calibrate the darn thing.. Maybe in the future the GS-911 will do a calibration but as of now no.

When you get the bike just ride it normally then see how far you can go an a tank-full then (ALWAYS) use one of the two available trip sets to watch your miles traveled. My RT runs between 250 and 325 miles per tank-full so if I use 250 as the bottom I am always safe on not running out of fuel.

You know.. the *really really* sad thing about this is that I do the exact same thing. I reset my trip meter and keep an eye on it.

What's sad about it? That you have a $15-20K motorcycle and you can't even trust the fuel gauge. I've had my strip replaced once and I *should* be able to trust it. But if I really do, then why bother with the trip meter? Because deep down inside, I don't *completely* trust it.

As much as I love my RT (and I do.. it's a great bike), this stuff tends to grind you down after a while. I carry a spare ring antenna on trips, I'm now thinking of carrying a fuel pump bypass cable after reading about that.

I'm not sure the next bike will be a BMW...

I don't think it's sad you have to still reset your trip meter, it's smart to do so. Electronic stuff stops working, the trip meter is the double check. My F650 doesn't monitor fuel per se, but it has a "reserve light", which goes on when there's supposedly 1 gal left. Do I wait for the light, no way! Some day the light's gonna go out, I'm gonna get gas when the miles are there.

I do the same thing in the car, always reset my trip meter.

When the fuel strip went out on my 2010 R1200R, there was warning--I filled up with about 1/4 tank and the gauge never moved. I normally rely on the fuel gauge on my GPS so didn't even bother to get the fuel strip replaced until about a week later when the fuel reserve light came on and stayed on. That was annoying.

I don't think it's sad you have to still reset your trip meter, it's smart to do so. Electronic stuff stops working, the trip meter is the double check. My F650 doesn't monitor fuel per se, but it has a "reserve light", which goes on when there's supposedly 1 gal left. Do I wait for the light, no way! Some day the light's gonna go out, I'm gonna get gas when the miles are there.

Nancy,

I do it in my car as well (slightly OCD). The part that is sad is that I have NEVER had a gas gauge go out on anything but the RT.

It's a pretty common function on most vehicles and it's probably one of the more reliable things on a vehicle. Very basic function that BMW can't seem to get right...

And yes, it's a good double check, but I should be able to rely on the gauge...

As much as I love my RT (and I do.. it's a great bike), this stuff tends to grind you down after a while....

I'm sure it can, but many owners have no problems with these items. My '05 RT with 70K miles still has the original working fuel strip, FD, antenna ring, engine seals, etc,...even the battery! It has been a model of reliability.

Jay

My C14 has a functional, accurate and reliable fuel gauge in it and I STILL primarily go off the trip meter.

The only time I have ever run any vehicle out of gas was the one time I forgot to display my trip odometer, and the fuel gauge failed at a quarter tank. Funny thing is I actually set my trip odometer, but the bike had an annoying habit of randomly starting up displaying the odometer, vs. the last set position of the trip odometer.

As much as I love my RT (and I do.. it's a great bike), this stuff tends to grind you down after a while....

I'm sure it can, but many owners have no problems with these items. My '05 RT with 70K miles still has the original working fuel strip, FD, antenna ring, engine seals, etc,...even the battery! It has been a model of reliability.

Jay

I think you are the one of the few.

Me, not so much.

Don_Eilenberger
2010 and BMW still can't get it right. WTF!

PSSTTTT....

It's actually 2011. Rumor has it BMW has a new vendor for the strips. Dunno for sure, haven't seen a new one.

Allow me to ask for advice. The strip on my still-under-warranty '08 misreports the fuel level. The dealer said it is within spec. And I believe them.

They have proposed changing the strip *and* the computer. That makes me uncomfortable.

What would you do?

Thanks.

Bob

Allow me to ask for advice.

What would you do?

Thanks.

Bob

I'd leave well enough alone. My fuel warning light goes off when I only need 5.3 gallons or so. When I get to zero miles left I have close to a gallon left. Go figure (and yes I've had my fuel gauge replaced for work stoppage).

I still believe in glass thermometers over the electronic ones.

Allow me to ask for advice. The strip on my still-under-warranty '08 misreports the fuel level. The dealer said it is within spec. And I believe them.

They have proposed changing the strip *and* the computer. That makes me uncomfortable.

What would you do?

Thanks.

Bob

Afternoon Bob

I would suggest you do just as I am currently doing with my erratic 1200RT fuel strip.

Just use the trip set as a fuel gauge- UNTIL- you are just about to run out of factory warranty. Then have it replaced.

That will gain you two things-

First, it will get you a new 2 year warranty on the replaced fuel strip (2 years from installed date on dealer replaced parts).

Second, there is a better chance that BMW will have a better & more robust fuel strip by then. The longer you wait the better chance of BMW figuring this thing out.

OK- now the down side to waiting. With ALL the fuel strip failures costing BMW a fortune in warranty repair, and given BMW’s long history of trying to wiggle out of known BMW failure issues there is always the chance that BMW will try to blame the strip failures on the user, or the fuel used, or the spin of the earth, and start denying warranty claims.

I'm completely on board with letting the dealer change the strip. I suspect that a computer change could introduce new problems. That's what concerns me.

Bob

scott r1200rt

My dealer told me they have a fix for the fuel strip. Bmw also has a new vendor for there shocks, which is good, mine died at 1200 miles.

My dealer told me they have a fix for the fuel strip. ---

Evening Scott

BMW dealers have been saying that for 2 years now. They have to tell their customers something other than “yep! It’s going to fail again soon”.

I’ll believe it when I see the repeated fuel strip failures stop in their tracks.

I looked at the latest BMW fuel strip about a week ago and by looking and comparing I could detect no difference from the older ones. We’ll see as time passes if there really is a new/improved strip.

BMW (dealers) said the same thing about 1100/1150 final drive failures. New parts are updated/improved/no more failures. We now know that was just “dealer speak” as they just kept failing and failing.

Jay

Hmmm.... interesting. I also have an 05 with the original fuel strip, final drive, and so on.

i did replace the fuel pup controller, because of an intermittent no start issue.

So may be BMW should go back to the vendor that made the strips back in 2005.

Nancy,

I do it in my car as well (slightly OCD). The part that is sad is that I have NEVER had a gas gauge go out on anything but the RT.

It's a pretty common function on most vehicles and it's probably one of the more reliable things on a vehicle. Very basic function that BMW can't seem to get right...

And yes, it's a good double check, but I should be able to rely on the gauge...

My 2004 sequoia gas gauge started acting goofy. I took it to the dealer. It was working when I arrived at the dealer and he said he can't fix what's not broke. He had not heard any problems on gas gauges. When it ran out of warranty it quit completely. Then I discovered(on the internet0 it was a common problem and others got the same runaround.

This was a $40,000 plus vehicle. It was a $300 repair.

BMW s not the only one.

RedMac

There is an entirely different way of thinking about those issues. I suspect you worry because you may think there are a whole lot of similar issues you don't know about. The good new is that there aren't others! The basic guts of the motor are as reliable as you can get. The few things you note (eg fpc, fuel strip, EWS ring) are all either no issue or fast roadside repairs if you're preapared. Only an FD failure is a fair possibility as a serious issue and even many of those can be prevented from being stranding issues by doing doing periodic wheel/seal inspections, making sure the fd has the proper lube amount, etc.

How many machines have you owned where you know essentially all of its weaknesses and they're so easily dealt with? Especially other motorycles?

I just carry the right spares and run mine- no worries!

It's the Internet. For every 1 fuel strip that fails there are 1000 that don't. Same with the rest of the stuff. I'm just pulling figures out of the air, but you get the idea.

I have no more inside information than you do, because I don't think BMW is sharing, but I'm guessing that your fuel strip failure rate estimate is low by a factor of a few hundred.

I've got an '09 RT with 21k miles that is on its second fuel strip, second final drive, and the shocks have given up the ghost. I share the frustration of others regarding these failures on a $20k bike, but given that the risk of these failures is well-documented, I figure there are really only two good choices, accept the risk and prepare for the possibility of failure, or sell the bike and get something else. I'm keeping mine, because hiccups notwithstanding, it's my favorite of the bikes I've owned. I could see why somebody else might choose to sell.

The fuel strip failure was a near non-event for me, because, like others here, I'm in the habit of religiously resetting the tripmeter at every fillup and watching tank mileage, regardless of vehicle. Tracking miles per tank can alert you to other problems besides the gauge going south, a fuel system failure, for example. Of course, in the unlikely event that you get such a problem and a fuel gauge failure on the same tank, you may be walking, but I've never trusted a fuel gauge since I ran a car out of gas in my teens when the fuel gauge still registered 1/4 tank.

It's the Internet. For every 1 fuel strip that fails there are 1000 that don't. Same with the rest of the stuff. I'm just pulling figures out of the air, but you get the idea.

That 1 failure in 1000 is probably not even close. My 09 has failed 5 fuel strips and is needing a 6th before warranty ends, my GS has failed 2, my friends RT has failed 3 and my brothers GS is on it’s 3rd, then you have Boxtop’s 2. That cover 16,000 BMW’s sold right there @ 1/1000 FR.

RedMac

There is an entirely different way of thinking about those issues. I suspect you worry because you may think there are a whole lot of similar issues you don't know about. The good new is that there aren't others! The basic guts of the motor are as reliable as you can get. The few things you note (eg fpc, fuel strip, EWS ring) are all either no issue or fast roadside repairs if you're preapared. Only an FD failure is a fair possibility as a serious issue and even many of those can be prevented from being stranding issues by doing doing periodic wheel/seal inspections, making sure the fd has the proper lube amount, etc.

How many machines have you owned where you know essentially all of its weaknesses and they're so easily dealt with? Especially other motorycles?

I just carry the right spares and run mine- no worries!

Interestingly enough, prior to owning the RT I NEVER carried "spare parts". Multiple Honda's, never stranded. K1200RS, never a glitch. Unfortunately for me, I didn't have a final drive sitting in my side case when that failed. The RT is the only bike I have ever owned that has left me stranded.

And in this case, the final drive did not fail due to being improperly lubed/maintained (I'm a maint.fanatic), mine failed at the interference fit between the drive output and the hub. Given that I was 2K miles from home and had checked the bike before leaving... Luckily for me I was stranded for 3 days at a dealer.

Again.. I should NOT HAVE to carry a bevy of spare parts to get me through in case a crucial part fails. Fuel strip.. sure I can live without that. EWS ring.. nope.. gotta have that or the bike won't start - KNOWN ISSUE. Fuel Pump Controller bypass cable... nope.. gotta have that because the bike won't run if that fails - AGAIN A KNOWN ISSUE.

My complaint is that these KNOWN ISSUES aren't addressed by BMW NA. They just fix em under warranty and ignore them.

That all being said, I do have a love/hate relationship with the RT. I love this bike. It handles like a dream. One of the most comfortable bikes I've every ridden. I love the look, I love the motor. I love the features the bike has even. No factory cruise on a ST1300.

But I hate have to think about carrying spare parts and bits with me in case one of the KNOWN issues rears it's head (can't really carry a FD anyway, though I suppose I could. I know one of the IBA riders did during the last rally).

*sigh*. Love - hate.. two sides of same coin. I'm not quite ready for a new bike yet, but the thought is on my horizon. I love the thought of having a no worry bike. I hate the thought it may end up not being a BMW.

I am on fuel strip #5 on my RT and #2 on my GS (12,500 miles on RT & 4500 miles on GS)

Jack

RedMac,

You'll get no argument from me that BMW is unresponsive to their own engineering stupidity even after they learn about it. Their "fixes" tend to be cheap band aids rather than a fundamental change that forever eliminates the possibility of such failure. Certainly in this day, there are no secrets to building highly reliable devices- all it takes is sufficient diligence in design and manufacture. And they continue to add more and more electronic crap that is outsourced while operating a company that clearly has no adequate oversight on quality of outsourced stuff. (Its a structural thing built into the way many euro companies operate- I've seen in some others I've worked with). They're very good at motors and metallurgy but only average on assembly and in the toilet on electronics.

German automotive industry quality peaked in the mid 90s when everyone was responding to problems clearly called out in an industry- sponsored study published in "The Machine That Changed the World" . And its gone downhill since and probably will continue to do so relative to other parts of the world mostly due to model proliferation and outsourcing. Koreans are already building more reliable if less sexy stuff and we're maybe a decade out from when Chinese stuff will be as good.

Yeah I never got stranded by my Honda either and I have already had to do one roadside fix on my 08 RT (the fpc bypass). Still, the bike needs less attention per mile run than most others I've owned and I know the basic guts can go a long distance without a rebuild. And barring an FD failure I'm not likely to get stuck- sorry you did.

On those fuel strip failures- those numbers also have to in the thousands, like the fpc. Way too many people have had multiple failures so there's probably more to it than strip quality alone. I'm better stupid electronics reading the strip are a good part of the problem but have no proof, an of course the factory will never say.

I distrust some stuff said to be on the new 6 cylinder- as an example the drive by wire that lacks any cable safety in the system - at least until its got 5 years of sales with no identified goofs. Its got theoretical advantages but I just don't trust their engineers and design culture enough to be a guinea pig for it. The RT is still at its guts pretty traditional aside from its electronics.

For what its worth, I have 89000+ smiles on my '07. The fuel gauge has been right on since I purchased, no problems. Like others, I reset both trip meters every time I fill up, along with resetting BC mpg and avg. speed. I have a daily commute and know when the mpg drops below its norm its time to think about a simple tune up. Having said that, I still plan trips, other than my daily commute, to ensure I have fuel stops within a 250-300 mile waypoint. IMO, to blindly rely on an electronic fuel gauge is not wise; true, if the cpu / power goes out you better be quick on the clutch to keep from getting hit from behind, but no current street bike is without the electronic leash so take your pick and enjoy the ride. As far as my personal experience, I ride with or know of others who have over 300,000 miles on their R-bikes with only basic maintenance requirements needed. I just had the FD replaced; not due to an acute failure but noticed increased vibration in slow speed turns, and the extended warranty covered the crown bearing replacement so why not. Other than that, the basic bike has been solid, no issues at all. Of course, YMMV.

The reality of these Internet-based forums is they enable quick and constant saturation for product complaints. This is not to say the complaints are not legitimate; these forums provide a great method to share experiences, bad and good, and learn from others; but one should do not judge a book by its Internet cover. Take one on a real test drive and see for yourself. The RT is a great bike that statistically speaking is one of the most reliable bikes on the market. Every M/C manufacturer has its share of generic and specific product issues that are very easy to find on the net; again, all are probably real issues with real POd people behind them. While I could state I was lucky to get my RT with its lack of problem, a more accurate statement is that a very small few are unlucky to get an RT with recurring problems.

Can I ask what you guys mean by strip failure?

I've got a 40k RT with original fpc, strip, and final drive.

The fuel light comes on with 50 or so miles Shown remaining,

but I do know that once the range indicates ---- I still have 4 or 5

litres remaining, which I treat as reserve. Never caused me a problem

or meant I've had to fill up at half a tankful, unless riding into areas

with more remote petrol stations,when I've done so by choice.

Is this what you call a fault, pr something more terminal??

Afternoon WestyLancs

On the 1200 hexheads the fuel gauge uses a fuel strip (like a heated resistor strip) instead of a float and variable resistance device to tell the fuel and remaining level in the fuel tank.

The fuel strip used by BMW has had it’s share of failures and return failures.

That failure can show up in many ways:

Like-- Reads full all the time

Or—reads empty all the time

Or—low the fuel light remians on all the time

Or-- incorrect fuel level reading

Or-- just plain unpredictable

In your case if you still have the original fuel strip the reserve light remaining fuel level could have been set (or adjusted) using the dealer computer and adding fuel during the calibration process.

The replacement fuel strips have a simplified installation process that only incorporates a dry (outside the tank) simple calibration process.

Remember the "good ole days" when no motorcycle had a gas guage and you just set you odometer to zero and went from there? But of course the bikes didn't cost $20k. I still prefer the old fail-safe method myself. It has yet to fail me!

Remember the "good ole days" when no motorcycle had a gas guage and you just set you odometer to zero and went from there? But of course the bikes didn't cost $20k. I still prefer the old fail-safe method myself. It has yet to fail me!

Morning rinkydink

Yep, those were the good old days. If you remember the “no gauge” systems also had a reserve setting on the petcock (usually about ½ gallon reserve)

Since the advent of electronic fuel injection using high pressure high flow pumps and FUEL RETURN to the tank the petcock is not only gone but there is no reserve offered.

Pretty difficult to put the reserve petcock on the fuel injection systems due to possible pump damage and other complications.

Jack Herbst
Afternoon WestyLancs

On the 1200 hexheads the fuel gauge uses a fuel strip (like a heated resistor strip) instead of a float and variable resistance device to tell the fuel and remaining level in the fuel tank.

The fuel strip used by BMW has had it’s share of failures and return failures.

That failure can show up in many ways:

Like-- Reads full all the time

Or—reads empty all the time

Or—low the fuel light remians on all the time

Or-- incorrect fuel level reading

Or-- just plain unpredictable

In your case if you still have the original fuel strip the reserve light remaining fuel level could have been set (or adjusted) using the dealer computer and adding fuel during the calibration process.

The replacement fuel strips have a simplified installation process that only incorporates a dry (outside the tank) simple calibration process.

I am presently on fuel strip number 5. 2008 R1200RT.

Jack

My low-mileage '05 RT's fuel strip stopped working over 2 years ago. It really aggravates me that BMW will not stand behind their product since this is a well-documented failure (at least in the US). I am not going to spend ~$400 of my money for an item that BMW should have been been honest about and issued a "good will" recall.

I have been advised by my dealer that this problem with premature fuel strip failure is far more prevalent in the US because of the use of ethanol in our fuel.

You know.. I don't disagree with *any* of the posters here. Yes, I set my mileage trip meter when I fill up and I keep an eye on that. But why do I do that? Well... partly because when I started riding, bikes didn't have em. That WAS how you figured out when to fill up.

But my whole point is, I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO!!!!. I mean, at some point in time, cars did not have fuel gauges and people had to pay attention to how far they had driven and fill up accordingly. But now, how many of you don't trust the fuel gauge in your car and determine when to fill up by the mileage on the trip meter??? I would bet it's darn few. I know I don't.

And what would you then say if the odometer was just as unreliable? I should start guessing? Come on, it HAS a fuel gauge. It should work, it should be trustworthy.

This bike DOES have a fuel gauge. It SHOULD be reliable and it SHOULD work. I SHOULD NOT have to decide when to fill up by the mileage because I don't trust the gauge. What's the point of having the gauge then???

I've lost one at this point and there are so many out there that have lost more than one. It actually may in fact point to fuel issues, since some folks have lost like 4-5 of the darn things.

And just out of curiosity, how many out there have lost fuel gauges in other bikes? I've never heard of this issue on the K1200RS (my old bike) from anyone. Or the R1150RT...

That is a very good point RedMac.

MY honda shadow SS750 did not have a fuel gauge, only a warming light ( but had a reserve fuel switch). I hated it! I hated resetting and watching the trip meter constantly. It also only had a small gas tank 3 gallon may be about 150 miles range. It was horrible.

After I sold it a said I will never buy an other bike without a fuel gauge.

Now, if my fuel trip dies on the RT and if it cost $400 I will have to revert back to watching the trip meter, until I sell the darn thing in a hurry.

The strange thing was that when the fuel strip on my R12R went out at about 10K miles and said something about expecting it since it was such a widespread problem, my service manager acted like he didn't know what I was talking about.

When mine died, it just read empty. I ignored it since is use the fuel range feature on my GPS anyway, but I had the strip replaced when, about a week later, the low fuel light came on. That was just too annoying.

Now, if my fuel trip dies on the RT and if it cost $400 I will have to revert back to watching the trip meter, until I sell the darn thing in a hurry...

You'd sell a 6 year old bike just because a non-critical component stopped working? :S

Jay

Don_Eilenberger
I have been advised by my dealer that this problem with premature fuel strip failure is far more prevalent in the US because of the use of ethanol in our fuel.
Usual dealer drivel. He's wrong. They fail just as often in the UK, Australia, etc.. all places without corn laced fuel. The problem is a QC problem, not a fuel problem.

So if BMW had the same number (not even percent, just total number) of fuel gauge failures on, say, a 535i automobile, do ya think they'd fix it? Sure thing - they'd be on it like white on rice. So why ignore the motorcycles? Not cool, BMW.

pete

Usual dealer drivel. He's wrong. They fail just as often in the UK, Australia, etc.. all places without corn laced fuel. The problem is a QC problem, not a fuel problem.

All UK fuel is 5% ethanol minimum.

Ansy

Even if it is due to ethanol and because BMW sells bikes here (no matter where here is) and they know here might have ethanol it should be designed to cope with it. Their bad and should not be used as a way out.

I guess I'm now part of the bad fuel strip club. My '09 R1200RT made it to@ 10K before the first failed and never made it through a full tank of fuel before the 2nd died. I really like my RT, but this is rediculous! Anyways, the dealer made it right, so we'll see how long the 3rd goes. Dealer said I've got 2 years on the repair and because it is a known issue even if the strip fails outside warranty they'll take car of it. This particular dealer stated they've replaced dozens and dozens and just can't believe BMW continues to ignore this issue except that the '11 models were totally changed to a different system.

Document and complain to BMW and hope the 3rd strip is the last.

COG

Steve Kolenda
'11 models were totally changed to a different system.

I have a 2011 and the parts fiche shows the exact same part number for the fuel strip as prior years.

I'm on my 5th strip on my '08 R1200RT. It is my understanding that BMW starts the clock over on these with each new install. Anyone got words on this?

Don_Eilenberger
I'm on my 5th strip on my '08 R1200RT. It is my understanding that BMW starts the clock over on these with each new install. Anyone got words on this?
ANY BMW replacement part comes with a 2 year warranty in the US. If they installed it - labor is included.
Don_Eilenberger
All UK fuel is 5% ethanol minimum.

Ansy

Ansy - interesting. AFAIK - Australia hasn't gone to laced fuel (and there are significant failure reports from OZ..)

Archived