IGNORED

C5,6,7

kmac

So on wednesday I had my surgery. Back in June of 2010 I had a fall on a ladder twist on me on the jobsite and I landed on the leg of the ladder on my right rib cage. I broke 2 ribs which were quite painful. Within a few days I began to notice some bad neck pain and a shooting pain down my shoulder ending with tingling in forearm and numbness in my left fingers.

After 6 months of pain and therapy having very little effect, a decision was made go under the knife and have a double discectomy. The C-spine discs between C5/6 and C6/7 were both bulging out and pinching off the nerves and causing my pain.

So wednesday at 6am I walked into the hospital and was put under anesthesia at 8am. The surgery took over 5hrs and the completely cut out the disc and filled the newly created gap where the disc WAS with cadaver bone. They then put Ti plates on each side of the spine and put Ti screws thru the plates into the C5, C6, and C7 vertibrae.

Overall the surgery was successful so far. I do have some SERIOUS weakness in my left arm especially in the tricep. And I have some major tingling in my index finger. During the surgery they have to stimulate the nerves to make sure they have not pinched or cut one accidentally, In that process, they are not sure how, but they caused my JAW to slam shut and I bit a hunk of my tongue almost off. That required 10 sutchers to repair my tongue.

I am in a large C-spine plastic neck collar which puts alot of pressure on my throat making it hard to swallow and is very uncomfortable. But the good news is I GET to wear for 6 WEEKS....yipee.

I woke up quite coherent from the surgery and did well in the room all night so the doctor said I could go home on thursday as long as I pee'd before I left. I know from past experience that I have a problem with urinary retention when I am on narcotics, so after a 9pm cathater and a 3am cathater insurtion :P to drain the main vein, I decided to stop taking any demoral from my pain pump and tough it out, au natural. I pee'd 550ccs at 10am on thursday, called for my discharge papers and was on my way home by 2pm.

All in all I am doing well, I'm up and around, eating and drinking, and doing everything I should be doing. LONG recovery ahead. Since I cant ride for quite some time, to lessen my temptation and do something nice for a friend, I dropped my BMW off a buddies place on tuesday. He has had to sell his Harley and Triumph because of financial troubles, like many people these days, and has not been able to ride for over a year. I took it over and told him to enjoy it while I recover. I checked in with him and his son on friday and they had taken turns riding it to and from work the last few days and so far are both enjoying it alot. I am stoked about that. If I can't enjoy it, at least someone is.

Just wanted to check in and say hi :wave:...hope all are good.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

KMAC

Hope your recovery is good. I woke up from mine pain free....with all of my tongue.

I can so relate to the pain prior though. It is really hard to describe to someone else since it doesn't really feel like a cut or wound.

The most dangerous part of mine was when I got home. I was alone, had a piece of toast and choked on it due to the throat still being compressed to make room for the tools. Had to think fast on that one.

Best wishes. Take it slow. They'll be doing x-rays for a year or two.

Too bad about the Ti plates, they don't set off airport screeners. So, darn, no cavity searches. :rofl:

Kelly,

I had the same disks bulge but did not have to have the surgery, this was in 2003. Most pain I was ever in in my life.

Glad to hear the surgery went well, best of luck on the recovery.

Classy move loaning the RT to your buddy while you are out of commission, good on ya.

Kelly,

Glad to hear the surgery went well, best of luck on the recovery.

Classy move loaning the RT to your buddy while you are out of commission, good on ya.

+1 Best wishes

CoarsegoldKid

Speedy recover amigo.

My son has Ti plates and screws holding his lumbar spine together. One of screws broke last week. Be careful looking over your shoulder for traffic.

Nice n Easy Rider

Heal quickly. :thumbsup:

Hopefully your friends will return your generosity regarding the sharing of your bike with some handling of chores around your house while you're healing. At least any requiring the use of a ladder. :(

Best wishes on your recovery and healing. Had similar surgery 17 years ago and doing fine. I guess you will have to visit the "physical terrorist" :eek: , do what they tell you and all will be fine. :thumbsup:

I had three vertabrae's done about four years ago then November '09 an additional one on the bottom added. I've got the previous ti cage on a necklace to remind me not to do certain things. I've had constant pain since the second surgery, I think I waited too long and have nerve damage.

Now I've got to find a light weight helmet as my Shoei is too heavy for my neck. Or give up a 40 year hobby and get that 911 I've been lusting after....

Thanks all for the kind words and support.

I have some of the greatest friends in the world. It is without question a real blessing to have great friends and loaning the bike out was a no brainer for me. I know for sure they would do anything for me.

Thanks again guys.

Archived