IGNORED

Junk email

Paul Mihalka

The last few days my junk email volume maybe tripled. I'm getting close to a 100 mails a day, some times three-four times the same message. it goes to my junk file, but still I look at the sender/subject before I delete it. Any idea how that happened and is there anything I can do about it? I know I could change my email address but I don't really want to do that. My mail is with msn.com.

A little time consuming, but most junk emails come with an 'Unsubscribe' link at the bottom; if you follow those links and unsubscribe, you will prevent them from coming again (for a little while anyway).

John Ranalletta

IMO, unsubscribing to spam just confirms a good email address to the spammer.

Instead, get a gmail account and route all your mail through it. There may be other good solutions, but gmail catches 99.97% of spam sent to my 3 email addresses.

I agree... unsubscribing to a junk email simply confirms that they have reached a valid address.

My rule... never interact with junk mail/unsolicited mail in any way, except to delete it. I also have my email reader set to not automatically load remote images in messages. Spammers will embed an image file within a message. You open the message, your mail reader goes online to fetch the image from the spammer's server, and bingo! They know you have opened the message! I have this disabled on my computer, laptop, and smartphone. I only get about 10 spam emails per month. I call that a success.

Gmail's spam filter is very effective. I use my Gmail address for all non-personal email.

IMO, unsubscribing to spam just confirms a good email address to the spammer.

Instead, get a gmail account and route all your mail through it. There may be other good solutions, but gmail catches 99.97% of spam sent to my 3 email addresses.

Sounds great. If I get a gmail account and somebody mails to my current address mihalka at msn dot com, does it go through a gmail filter and do I get it on the same list as the gmail messages? I'm trying to avoid to have to look at two streams.

DId you register for a new service, provide your email address at a bike show, or elsewhere? They then pass it along.
That's always possible. That is what I thought happened.

If I get a gmail account and somebody mails to my current address mihalka at msn dot com, does it go through a gmail filter...

No.

... do I get it on the same list as the gmail messages? I'm trying to avoid to have to look at two streams.

When you set up your Gmail account, use the settings panel to forward any incoming mail to your other (msn) email account. All incoming Gmail will show up in your existing in box. The catch... this will do nothing about the spammers that already have your existing email, but from now on you won't have to give out this address when registering for web sites and signing up for mailing lists, etc.

Paul, pbbeck's right, but a simpler solution might be to just switch entirely over to gmail. I've changed my email address about six times over the years. I don't think I've ever had a problem with correspondents not changing my address. In fact, I changed it about a year ago. I use gmail, and have the same success with spam as others mention.

John Ranalletta

Paul, this may be more complication than you want, but you could go to GoDaddy.com and register "mihalka.net" and get your own mailbox, e.g. paul@mihalka.net.

Once that's set up, set up a gmail account and route all your mihalka.net mail thru the gmail account. Of course, with a new email address, you probably wouldn't get much spam if you're careful.

I have mylastname.com and my kids and their families have a mailbox on the "family" domain.

Any chance your virus protection software has a spam filter setting that has changed recently? Or maybe a spam filter setting on your email provider?

----

Paul, this may be more complication than you want, but you could go to GoDaddy.com and register "mihalka.net" and get your own mailbox, e.g. paul@mihalka.net.

Once that's set up, set up a gmail account and route all your mihalka.net mail thru the gmail account. Of course, with a new email address, you probably wouldn't get much spam if you're careful.

I have mylastname.com and my kids and their families have a mailbox on the "family" domain.

I did the same thing years ago. Both my kids and some of their spouses/relatives use it. You never have to change your email address again (as long as you pay for the domain name which is a few dollars a year) and you can set it up to forward the mail to where ever you want. You can also pay someone to host the domain (a few dollars a month) and set up a family web site if you want, but that is a separate exercise.

Incidentally, GoDaddy's prices for hosting email ($15/mo) and a web site + email ($60/mo) seem outrageous. And GoDaddy charges extra for additional email addresses. I pay $6.75/month for a web site and email. I can have as many addresses as I want. And there is nothing unique about the domain host I use. I think it is easy to find them at that price, although I haven't comparison shopped for awhile. Maybe I am missing something about GoDaddy's pricing. I hadn't ever looked at it before. But it seems way out of line. I think he specializes in selling domain names.

Incidentally, GoDaddy's prices for hosting email ($15/mo) and a web site + email ($60/mo) seem outrageous. And GoDaddy charges extra for additional email addresses. I pay $6.75/month for a web site and email. I can have as many addresses as I want. And there is nothing unique about the domain host I use. I think it is easy to find them at that price, although I haven't comparison shopped for awhile. Maybe I am missing something about GoDaddy's pricing. I hadn't ever looked at it before. But it seems way out of line. I think he specializes in selling domain names.

It seems to me you're missing something. Their plans seem to start at $4.99/mo.

That said, while my personal interactions with GoDaddy support (only related to TLS/SSL certificates) have been reasonably decent, I've read way too many stories of them cutting off sites for lots of questionable reasons.

In the end, there's no reason to throw everything at one provider. I let Google handle my mail, calendar, and Jabber, while pair.com hosts the handful of websites I run. GoDaddy's the registrar on a couple of my domain names, while pairNic has the others.

It seems to me you're missing something. Their plans seem to start at $4.99/mo.

Aha...

I am in Mexico and the prices I saw were in pesos, but I didn't notice that and assumed it was dollars. Thanks for clarifying. I also don't care much for the sexist approach to advertising used by the GoDaddy web site.

In terms of filtering out spam: gmail is the best, hotmail/msn is the worse, and yahoo is somewhere in between. I avoid hotmail/msn like the plague, and tend to use my gmail accounts only with a couple of yahoo email exceptions.

I also don't care much for the sexist approach to advertising used by the GoDaddy web site.

Fair enough, but, not surprisingly, it has made them a lot of money.

Archived