IGNORED

Police Motorcycle Enforcement Manual

Steve W.

I must have missed out on this training. Quick scan of the manual sounds too basic. This is stuff officers already should know. When chosen as a motor for your agency, you should already have 10-15 years experience as a LEO and should already be a proficient, advanced motorcycle rider.

Two weeks of pre-training, two weeks at a motor school and two weeks riding with a training officer is all you need for initial training. Never had any classroom stuff.

Thank you for posting this. It's very informative about accident statistics and the requirements of police officers to conduct high quality post-crash investigations so appropriate charges can be lodged against offenders. It appeared from the write-up that too often lack of knowledge by police officers of motorcycle involved crashes results in poor post-crash analysis and the under-charging of drivers who hit/kill motorcyclists.

My personal take away after reading the statistics quoted in this document is that front end conspicuity is paramount in helping avoind an accident...especially from a left turning car. Headlight modulator or fork mounted lighting, turned on all the time, are ways to increase visibility to oncomming traffic. With only 7% of accidents reported as being rear-enders front end conspicuity has gotten my attention more than I had realized in the past.

Thanks again for posting this.

Danny caddyshack Noonan
Two weeks of pre-training, two weeks at a motor school

That there was the most fun four weeks of my career. Ummmm, that there was the most learning and hardest working four weeks of my career.

Two weeks of pre-training, two weeks at a motor school

That there was the most fun four weeks of my career. Ummmm, that there was the most learning and hardest working four weeks of my career.

Ha ha. Ditto.

It appeared from the write-up that too often lack of knowledge by police officers of motorcycle involved crashes results in poor post-crash analysis and the under-charging of drivers who hit/kill motorcyclists.

Thanks again for posting this.

Rest assured motor officers (only speaking for Ca) are sent to specialized accident reconstruction courses after passing motor school. Motors are the experts for major and fatal collision investigation by most agencies.

CoarsegoldKid
• In 2008, 35 percent of all motorcycle riders involved in fatal crashes were speeding.5

To bad we don't know how fast speeding was determined to be. Maybe not important but would think as speed increases so does the risk. 1-5-10-20-50 mph over? OR where. What type of roadway. Mountain-residential-freeway-Nevada Desert? I know too much data to collect.

Speeding does not necessarily mean over the posted speed limit. Many collisions are classified as "speed too fast for conditions". Losing control and hitting a fixed object next to the road is one example.

Slamming into the rear of a stopped vehicle is another example of speed too fast for conditions. When traffic is stopped on a roadway, the speed limit is zero.

According to the manual NTSHA or whatever it's called lists speeding only when a citation is given for the accident.

Will need to clarify what "citation" means. I've investigated thousands of collisions and the number of citations issued after a collision is probably less than 5. (excluding citations issued for DUI) Why? Unless I witnessed the event, I cannot prove the violation traffic court. Physical evidence and witnesses can prove the charges but the appearance of witnesses in traffic court isn't reliable. More trouble than it's worth especially since the driver already has a point violation for causing the collision. Issuing a citation is considered double prosecution since it adds a second point violation to the driving record.

If "citation" means the driver was listed as the primary cause of the collision on a traffic collision report, then yes I've issued thousands of citations after a collision.

As mentioned, speeding is the #1 cause of collisions. But it does not necessarily mean speed over the posted limit.

Archived