IGNORED

Ford Transit Connect van

rob1100r

Has anyone driven (or own) one of these? I sat in one that was unlocked at a dealership, it looks bigger online than in person, but it would be ample for me, and 20+ MPG city is attractive, esp. for a utility type vehicle. The 2.0 I4 is said to be a bit underpowered for it, but they have been proven to be reliable. I see more and more of them, and they were a hit in Europe for courriers, etc. before introduced in the U.S. Production in U.S. starts next year, currently assembled in Turkey. Does anyone know if they manufacture the powertrain elsewhere?

I too am curious, but I read once in a motorcycle mag that they are not user friendly for hauling most motorcycles. If you plan to haul a MC then take some measurements before you consider a purchase.

Johnny J

It has a clamimed 1600 lb capacity, but I won't be hauling a trailer with it...Doubt you could fit much of a bike on the inside, if thats what you meant :)

I see them used by florists and dry cleaning businesses. More of a commercial than personal vehicle. Not as much room inside as I thought. What are you going to use it for? Since they are made in Turkey, I am guessing the driveline does not originate in the US.

It would be nice if they came in a small diesel.

Doubt you could fit much of a bike on the inside, if thats what you meant :)

Yea... That's what I meant. I was originally thinking track-day bike or smallish dual sport, but you would have to get really creative. I eventually decided there were better options.

Johnny J

I see them used by florists and dry cleaning businesses. More of a commercial than personal vehicle. Not as much room inside as I thought. What are you going to use it for? Since they are made in Turkey, I am guessing the driveline does not originate in the US.

It would be nice if they came in a small diesel.

I'd be using it for my daily driver. Work is close to home, and I don't need much of a family vehicle, the other half has a RAV4. Just thinking of getting rid of the pickup, I think this would make a great replacement- I don't get firewood or use the truck for stuff like that anyway.

And yes, a diesel would be a nice option! It would be great if driveline was Japanese, but I doubt it.

I own a cargo variant that I use for business purposes supporting small business computer systems.

The vehicle is great for what it is intended to do.

As a general work vehicle, lots of power isn't necessarily desirable. I would describe the power as adequate.

We have one climb (Kingsbury Grade) between Minden and Lake Tahoe with a 45MPH speed limit on the climb (4700' to 7100' in 8 miles. About 6% average grade). Because of the widespread gearing (4 speed auto), to have any throttle response at all, the trip is normally made in 2nd gear all the way up.

Vehicle is extremely easy to work on and low cost too.

Average mixed town and highway mileage is 26-27 MPG. Highway mileage is in excess of 30 MPG on level ground at 65MPH.

Biggest gotchas for me:

Vehicle is front wheel drive with no chains permitted due to inadequate clearances to suspension on inside of tire. I have acquired a set of Thule K-Summit chains (similar to spyke spyders) but have not needed as of yet.

Not rated for towing. Parts are available any way, and I have towed my RT on a R.A.D. Diamondback trailer (combined weight less than 1100 Lbs.) with no problems, averaging 24 MPG. I did get a cushioned ball mount to minimize drive train shock (very effective!).

I read interior cargo dimensions as 6' long x 4' between wheel wells x 53.7" cargo height but 52" at rear cargo door. Cargo tie downs standard. Not sure if that's adequate room for the OP's machine. There is an electric model available in NA but I suspect only as a fleet purchase. There is also a diesel model in the UK so maybe there's hope for NA as well. Cute little beast. Would make a neat mini camper with the moto on a trailer.

Commercial vehicle is fine but as a daily driver? Could get old quickly especially on a long trip. Good as a pickup truck replacement since the contents would be secure from thieves and weather. Noisy, utilitarian, underpowered, basic, unrefined are some of my thoughts. Better measure your garage to see if it will fit.

It was a 2010 Motor Trend Truck of the Year contender.

http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/truck/112_1002_2010_motor_trend_truck_of_the_year_contenders/2010_ford_transit_connect_specs.html

Commercial vehicle is fine but as a daily driver? Could get old quickly especially on a long trip. Good as a pickup truck replacement since the contents would be secure from thieves and weather. Noisy, utilitarian, underpowered, basic, unrefined are some of my thoughts. Better measure your garage to see if it will fit.

It was a 2010 Motor Trend Truck of the Year contender.

http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/truck/112_1002_2010_motor_trend_truck_of_the_year_contenders/2010_ford_transit_connect_specs.html

All of the above :grin: but the garage is for the bike and other 'stuff'. As long as it has factory air, AM/FM, and a cig lighter port for the GPS, I'm good! The other halfs vehicle is a bit more refined.

SageRider, thanks for the writeup, any other comments welcomed...!

We have them as fleet vehicles. Those that have them like some of the features - great visibility to the front and sides. Nice above-head storage. Good electronics package. Good for around town. Easy parking. Good for small payloads on flat ground in urban areas.

On the down side - if you are tall (I'm 6'5") it's not too good. My knees touch the dashboard. The power plant is awful. Up hills requires flooring the gas pedal to keep it at 60 MPH, and that's with a relatively small payload ('cept for me, o'course). If this thing were ever fully loaded, I'd need to put an orange triangle on the back of it.

After having it a week, I traded it back in for a Dodge Dakota with 95,000 miles on it at work.

Upflying's comments are right on the mark.

Power is adequate unless one must constantly drive hills or mountains (as Shaman97). Only about 10% of my miles include going up to Lake Tahoe, so I can live with it the rest of the time.

As a passenger vehicle, I would make another choice.

As a motorcycle hauler, I would make another choice.

As a (relatively) low tech simple utility vehicle hauling payloads of 1600 Lbs or less, it is quite useful.

BTW, to my knowledge, the entire package is currently built in Turkey. The motor is the same as in the Ford Focus.

You might want to check out:

http://fordtransitconnectforum.com

quote:

As a (relatively) low tech simple utility vehicle hauling payloads of 1600 Lbs or less, it is quite useful.

I think it is right up my alley. I would miss my 05 Frontier, as far as a pickup goes it really is enjoyable to drive...If I want 'fun' I'll take the bike out :thumbsup: I have a Ford dealership opening up next to my work real soon, it will make it too easy to take a test drive....

Archived