IGNORED

Going under the Laser in 12 hours

OoPEZoO

I have been considering laser eye surgery for YEARS upon YEARS upon YEARS. First came buying the house, then buying a ring, then supporting my fiance through nursing school, then replacing a vehicle, then the wedding, honeymoon, new windows and doors........the list goes on and on. This year was supposed to be a new motorcycle, but I can't bring myself to sell my RT. That and I'm REALLY tired of these stupid glasses and don't want to go back to contacts.

So after about a year of researching and then two visits to the eye surgeon, I'm finally going under the laser tomorrow morning. I had initially gone in with the intent of LASIK, but after the original exam and a follow up, the Doctor and I both agreed that I should get PRK versus LASIK. I apparently have some pretty funky shaped corneas with some asymmetrical surface contours that can only be properly addressed with PRK. That, and my pretty active lifestyle that involves the potential for violent trauma to the eyes when you do something wrong (like dumping a bike or wiping out when snowboarding). I'm not looking forward to the longer recovery time, but I think its definitely the right decision. Looks like I will be off of work for about a week. The Doc then said my eyesight should improve approximately one line of letters on the eye chart every week until I hit the 20/20 mark. If I'm lucky, I might even get a few lines below that. Who knows, but it should beat not being able to read the 3" numbers on the alarm clock that is only 2ft from my head in the morning.

My current prescription is -3.0 in both eyes with astigmatism. I can't see squat without my glasses. I'll check back in when I can. Its my understanding that I should avoid the computer like the plague for the first few days. Wish me luck :thumbsup:

Whew! You've been a busy boy.

Now the RT will look even better and you won't want to get a new bike. :grin:

Hope everything goes well and looking forward to you checking back in when you get the keyboard back.

Good fortune.

I had it done 7 years ago. My wife had it done 2 weeks ago. Best health related $$ we ever spent.

Ask for a good dose of Valium so you sleep after the procedure. It'll help keep your hands away from your eyes and let you rest.

ShovelStrokeEd

Over 10 years for me, Lasik, not PRK. I was playing pool the next day. I need a touch up now as presbyopia is taking its toll. I'll do it again in a heartbeat.

I too have got to do something...my job requires good eyesight and mine has surely gone south...good luck and keep us posted, one rubber chicken at a time.

I was one of the first to have LASIK in NJ, so I was told, almost 15 years ago. My sight was -6.5 with astigmatism so I too couldn't see anything. I always hated my glasses! The story that motivated me to surgery is sort of funny.

The final straw came on a vacation in Israel, when my cousins took me swimming. Without my glasses, I couldn't see anything, and was soon washed away from them by the waves. I couldn't see where shore was, to swim towards. I "guessed" at it, and as you can imagine, didn't make it very far before fatigue and panic set in. Somehow, I made it though, and collpased in exhaustion. I came to, and began to slowly crawl on the beach, looking for my cousins. As anyone who has been to an Israeli beach knows, it was only a few feet of this crawling before I hit the young bikini-clad sunbathers, and soon I was literally crawling over them - because I couldn't see that I was on top of them until I was. Soon, angry grumbling from pissed off boyfriends was clearly audible. I stammered in broken Hebrew, but it wasn't helping much judging by their tone. Once again fatigue and panic set in!

Luckily my cousins found me before the boyfriends got too riled up, explained the situation, and led me away. I swore at that moment that no matter what the risks, the dependency glasses had to go. I had never been to surgery in my life and was quite nervous, especially since (at the time) there were only 2 reputable doctors in the state, and only a few test subjects, not the years and thousands (if not millions) we have today. Long story short, it's the best thing I've ever done. Just find a good doctor and talk to his patients. Don't believe any "hype" in commercials, etc. I love my eyes, and love not wearing glasses. Good luck with your surgery and let us know how it goes.

-MKL

Good luck! You should be very happy with it.

My wife had Laser surgery in 2001. Also couldn't see anything without her glasses. On the drive home she was like a little kid asking me every 10 seconds..."can you see that sign?, can you see that tree?" It was like she was seeing for the first time.

She said the best moment was the first morning she woke up and could see as soon as she opened her eyes.

Best of luck Keith!

Personally, I have been wearing glasses for 44 years now, -8.5 prescription, asymetric astigmatism. Tried contacts serveral times really hoping not to have to wear glasses, but it never worked out. Once I got to high refractive index lenses, and much smaller frames, it really hasn't been an issue.

I know there are situations where it might be helpful, but I am comfortable with the way things are.

I do know folks who have gone through the process and are very pleased, so I hope that's your result as well.

I was one of the first to have LASIK in NJ, so I was told, almost 15 years ago. My sight was -6.5 with astigmatism so I too couldn't see anything. I always hated my glasses! The story that motivated me to surgery is sort of funny.

The final straw came on a vacation in Israel, when my cousins took me swimming. Without my glasses, I couldn't see anything, and was soon washed away from them by the waves. I couldn't see where shore was, to swim towards. I "guessed" at it, and as you can imagine, didn't make it very far before fatigue and panic set in. Somehow, I made it though, and collpased in exhaustion. I came to, and began to slowly crawl on the beach, looking for my cousins. As anyone who has been to an Israeli beach knows, it was only a few feet of this crawling before I hit the young bikini-clad sunbathers, and soon I was literally crawling over them - because I couldn't see that I was on top of them until I was. Soon, angry grumbling from pissed off boyfriends was clearly audible. I stammered in broken Hebrew, but it wasn't helping much judging by their tone. Once again fatigue and panic set in!

Luckily my cousins found me before the boyfriends got too riled up, explained the situation, and led me away. I swore at that moment that no matter what the risks, the dependency glasses had to go. I had never been to surgery in my life and was quite nervous, especially since (at the time) there were only 2 reputable doctors in the state, and only a few test subjects, not the years and thousands (if not millions) we have today. Long story short, it's the best thing I've ever done. Just find a good doctor and talk to his patients. Don't believe any "hype" in commercials, etc. I love my eyes, and love not wearing glasses. Good luck with your surgery and let us know how it goes.

-MKL

My final straw was being on my honeymoon and not being able to enjoy snorkeling with my new wife because I couldn't see anything farther than 2 ft in front of my face. Then a snowboarding trip back in January was the nail in the coffin for getting it done. I was having a hell of a time with my glasses fogging up, and my buddy (who just had LASIK 6 months ago) was doing great.

Thanks everyone. About to head out the door.

Wishing you the best possible outcome. (That would probably be about 20/15!)

I go under the knife for cataract surgery a week from tuesday. Left eye first, right 3 weeks later. I am anxious to get on with it, since my vision has deteriorated so much the last few months.

At first, I had a hard time with the concept of someone slicing into my eyeballs.......But since I can't rely on them anymore, the idea bothers me less and less.

The weird thing about my situation is that I have the rare type of cataracts.......Anterior subcapsular variety. They are not age or sun related, (Many possible causes, but no smoking gun). The odd part is my wife was diagnosed with one as well, within a month of mine. And no, we do not take any of the same meds. My theory is that it is something in the water :dopeslap:

It's been a little over 11 years for the TEE. I tried contacts for a while, but just gave up on them. Vision was 20/400 with astigmatism and without glasses most objects past several feet resembled cotton balls.

I was already seeing better ten minutes after the procedure, and had 20/15 vision within about a week. Scary thing was that the Canadian outfit that did the procedure went out of business, so when I showed up for my second from final follow-up appointment, I arrived at an empty building with no note on the door even. Some people showed up to have the procedure, and some on their first follow up appointment. One guy had one eye done and showed up to have his second eye done that day. I understand a bunch of people lost their money.

But it worked out very well. Corrected vision was much better than it was with either glasses or contacts. Money well spent.

Back from the surgery, and took a good nap. This screen is killing my eyes. Everything seemed to go well and the Doc said he was really pleased with how everything looked afterward. I'm already at about 20/50 (I was about 20/150), but that will fluctuate greatly over the next few days.

Great news, but:

"Its my understanding that I should avoid the computer like the plague for the first few days"

GET THE HELL AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER!

Had my follow up this morning and the Doc said everything looks great and my eye sight is well ahead of where he thought it would be. I didn't ask what my eyesight was at, but I read 4 lines below where he thought I should be able to at this point. He said I can use the computer as much as I feel comfortable, which seems to be about 20 min at a time before my eyes start to strain. He said my eye sight will most likely get worse over the next two days as the cells on the top layer of my eye regenerate. I go back on March 1rst to have the protective contacts removed (or possibly a few days earlier if they start to bother me).

While I know I shouldn't drive right now due to my eyes being too sensitive, I am thrilled that my eyesight is good enough to do it. It is very encouraging. I could easily read road signs and license plates on the way home. Most of what I had read said it would be a week or more before I would be able to see well enough to drive. Even stopped at BestBuy to pick up a new set of headphones so I could sit down and listen to some audio books while I rest up.

Looks like the dog is begging for a nap, so I think I'm going to take her up on it.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Keith,

glad you're doing ok with the PRK. I did some design/product support work on one of the excimer LASIK machines in 99 and 2000 while still in still in school. Was going to get mine shot but, decided against it due to the technology at that time and my correction. 3'ish astig and large diameter to shoot.

Did it in 2004 and couldn't be happier. I was reading the large freeway signs at better than a half mile the next day.

One note: Talking with Dr.s when I would go watch surgeries one mentioned that one needs to be very careful until the epitheleal layer heals. PRK patients also need to be careful of some visual perception issues. Keep the driving to a bare minimum if at all. R&R!

One note: Talking with Dr.s when I would go watch surgeries one mentioned that one needs to be very careful until the epitheleal layer heals. PRK patients also need to be careful of some visual perception issues. Keep the driving to a bare minimum if at all. R&R!

Thanks for the heads up, and I agree. I won't be driving anytime soon. I have the OK to be off work till Wednesday, have my laptop with me to work from home, and I also have a ride for the rest of the week if I decide to go in. I have an absolutely hellish commute of ~56 miles each way. I'm not about to push it.

Had a pretty good day yesterday. I tried to watch some TV last night with mixed results. As the day went on, mu vision got worse (which I expected). In the morning it was good enough that I actually considered that I might be able to pull off getting to work on Tuesday. Whoa, I jumped the gun. They told me that the 3rd day would be the worst. They weren't kidding. I don't have any pain at all, but I can't see crap. I'm seeing double and triple ghosting images of everything past about 16". Danielle is working 12hr shifts all weekend so I have been kind of stir crazy. My Mom agreed to pick me up so I could go shopping for some new polarized sunglasses and get me some lunch. Boy, that was an adventure. I can walk around just fine, but forget about asking me to read anything or seeing any detail. This is the weirdest thing in the world to get used to. I know my eyesight is good, but it feels like I'm looking through multiple layers of glass that slightly distort everything. Not funhouse mirror style, but more like trying to watch a 3D movie with out the 3D glasses on. Very strange.

I've been told day 3 is the worst and things should be a marked improvement every day after this. Guess tomorrow will tell. Hopefully this isn't too scatter brained. I'm just kind of throwing things out there, and I can't go back to proofread anything unless I get about 4" from the screen.

And now we're going to get 4-8" of snow overnight. Be smart and don't even think about getting on I-83 and coming down to work!

You know how the Maryland drivers are when the white stuff flies.

Bit of an update. Back to work today. I did the smart thing and got a ride.......that was a good choice. I did drive around a good bit yesterday running some errands, but that was in bright sunlight during mild traffic. I definitely am not ready for predawn rush hour quite yet. Hopefully I will be ready to tackle that on Monday.

Any discomfort I had was completely gone yesterday, and I felt really good. That goes for today as well. Anything goofy I feel now is directly related to the temporary contacts the surgeon inserted after the procedure. They are supposed to be in till my follow up visit on Tuesday, but I might call them tomorrow and see if I can take them out myself. They usually require 5-7 days for the contacts, but waiting till Tuesday would make it 11 days. Wearing the same contacts for a week straight has the same effect it would any other time......they feel like old dirty contacts, its obnoxious and I want them out.

My eyesight certainly isn't 20/20 yet, but its not terrible bad (maybe 20/40 or 20/50). I can read the computer screen without straining my eyes, and I watched some TV last night without any problems. I could also read street signs and such, but usually not until we were right on top of them. Either way, it is encouraging and I'm looking forward to the forward progress. Very happy with the results so far.

Over 10 years for me, Lasik, not PRK. I was playing pool the next day. I need a touch up now as presbyopia is taking its toll. I'll do it again in a heartbeat.

+1

Keith, I hope it all works out as well for you as it did for me. I cried when I realized I could look up in the rain and see leaves. No more ducking my head to keep the lenses clean, no more futzing with contacts, no more no more. Best $1500 I've ever spent!

+1

Did Lasik three years ago and it's been fantastic. I've been through a pile of $10 sunglasses. Just throw them away and get a new pair whenever I like. :-D

+1

Did Lasik three years ago and it's been fantastic. I've been through a pile of $10 sunglasses. Just throw them away and get a new pair whenever I like. :-D

I went the other way and treated myself to a nice uber expensive pair of polarized Oakley Flack Jackets and a pair of Polarized Oakley Splice snowboarding goggles. :grin:

Did laser in '99. I went water skiing within 48 hours of surgery. I've never a moments problem. I had worn glasses for 35 years, and am now 20/15 in both eyes.

I used the same doctor Tiger Woods did, but apparently I did not get the Wandering Eye option.

Party on!

Its been 12 days since I had my surgery. Some things are good, some things are irritating.

I had my follow up yesterday with the Doctor. He said everything is healing perfectly, my eye sight looks great (for 11 days of recovery), and I can expect things to continue to slowly get better as time goes on. I go back again in 4 weeks.

The good is that I have been driving myself to work all this week. My only real problems with this is that the headlights bother me in the morning. On coming traffic is OK, but headlights behind me are bothersome. Flipping the switch on the rearview mirror make it bareable. The afternoon commutes have been fine. Things are still a little fuzzy, but overall very good. I can watch TV pretty well, just don't ask me to read the subtitles.

The irritating......I'm still having trouble on the computer. Which is a bit of a problem, but is managable. THe problem is that after straining all day to read the PC, my eyes are really tired by the evening. I had some pretty good headaches the first few days, but that seems to be getting better. A little nap in the afternoon before dinner has really helped with this.

The weirdest thing (which is normal) is how my vision fluctuates throughout the day, and from one day to the next. One day my right is better, the next its my left. Yesterday My eyesight started off "OK" in the morning, but felt really good in the afternoon. This morning it was pretty poor, but it seems to be getting better. Every once in a while, right after I put drops in, I will get this quick 1/2 second of complete clarity and its awesome crisp clear vision. Then i blink and its back to my world of slight distorted fuzzyness. I wish I could explain what I'm seeing. I guess thats the strange thing. My vision isn't bad, its just a little off.

I'm down to no meds besides 1 kind of eye drops twice a day (once a day after this friday), and rewetting drops as often as I feel I need them. I have just got into the habit of using them about once an hour. The messed up thing is that the prescription eyedrops are actually a steroid that prevents or slows the healing process. The reason for these is so the eye can heal slowly without generating any scar tissue. It makes sense, but its frustrating to put in drops that are actively slowing down the healing process. I'm not known for my patience, and this is a true test.

That being said, I'm still thrilled about the potential results and would do it again in a second. Like I said, every once in a while I get that moment of clarity and it is amazing crisp clear vision. I just hope that is what the final results look like. Still 8 weeks out from the BRR, so i have lots of recovery time left.

Thanks for the update, Keith. PRK post surgery sure seems more involved than the Lasik, but it sounds like you are on target per your doctor. These days will move by fast and you'll find yourself reaching for glasses...of beer :D

Wishing you the best possible outcome. (That would probably be about 20/15!)

I go under the knife for cataract surgery a week from tuesday. Left eye first, right 3 weeks later. I am anxious to get on with it, since my vision has deteriorated so much the last few months.

At first, I had a hard time with the concept of someone slicing into my eyeballs.......But since I can't rely on them anymore, the idea bothers me less and less.

The weird thing about my situation is that I have the rare type of cataracts.......Anterior subcapsular variety. They are not age or sun related, (Many possible causes, but no smoking gun). The odd part is my wife was diagnosed with one as well, within a month of mine. And no, we do not take any of the same meds. My theory is that it is something in the water :dopeslap:

I had my first surgery yesterday, and the post op visit this am. Tested 20/20! Might even be better......That was the bottom line on the chart. 3 weeks until I get the other lense replaced. The veil has lifted. With any luck, I will be using only drugstore readers and cheapo sunglasses.

Hey Keith,

The only down side I can think of is, the next time you have to look at me you'll be really disappointed. :rofl:

Congrats buddy, hope the recovery continues. :thumbsup:

I had my first surgery yesterday, and the post op visit this am. Tested 20/20! Might even be better......That was the bottom line on the chart. 3 weeks until I get the other lense replaced. The veil has lifted. With any luck, I will be using only drugstore readers and cheapo sunglasses.

Best of luck to ya. My Grandmother went in a few years ago for cataract surgery. She isn't the type of person that went to the doctor regularly, so I can imagine they were pretty bad for her to actually go. Needless to say, she was blown away by the results. I guess it was such a gradual change over time that she didn't notice how bad it had got. She said she was seeing things out the kitchen window that she hadn't seen in 15+ years. I don't know how much that stretched the truth, but I could definitely see the excitement in her face and hear it in her voice. She even got my Grandfather to follow suite and get his taken care of too......and that man wants nothing to do with a doctor. Same results. They are both thrilled, but yet disappointed that they didn't do it years earlier.

• 2 weeks later...

3 Week Update...........things are almost back to normal.

I can't believe its only been 3 weeks. The surgery seems like a distant memory. I keep thinking I'm getting close to being fully healed until I see how much more time they told me it should take. It has me even more optimistic that my eyesight is going to be awesome once I'm all healed up. Driving is a non issue, night or day, rain or shine. I would feel perfectly comfortable going out for an afternoon motorcycle ride now. I don't think I would want to brave pre-dawn rush hour yet, but its getting there.

The healing process has moved to a kind of 3 steps forward, 1 step back type of thing. My eyesight gets noticably better for a few days, followed by a day or so of regression. My eyesight is very crisp when I first wake up in the morning, but tends to depgrade as the day goes on. It doesn't get horrible, its just a little more difficult to focus. The more I strain my eyes throughout the day, the worse the degradation is. I never feel the need for drops any more, but I have been using rewetting drops periodicaly throughout the day. I am also still on the once a day steroid drops for another week. The one thing that I am really happy about is that I had read of halos or starry effects around lights at night time. My good friend had LASIK last year and still has this problem. I don't have any of those things. My eyesight isn't quite back to 20/20, but right now, it isn't much worse than having a "bad contact" day. Plus, I know that I still have more healing to go. My biggest accomplishment was yesterday. I finally got to change my computer screen resolution back to my normal 1440x900. Its a little tough to make out certain things, but I can do it at a normal siiting position........versus having it set to 800x600 and leaning in 6" from the screen like I was 2 weeks ago.

Overall, I am VERY pleased with the results so far. I still can't wrap my head around being able to see in the morning. Almost every morning, I find myself fumbling around my night stand for my glasses. Then I remember that I don't need them. Another wonderfully telling moment for me was going with my Step-Daughter last week for her to be fitted with contacts. After watching her struggle for almost an hour trying to get them in, I am so thankful that I don't have to mess with them anymore.

I go back in for my next follow up on the 29th. I will be really excited to see what my vision looks like then.

I still can't wrap my head around being able to see in the morning. Almost every morning, I find myself fumbling around my night stand for my glasses. Then I remember that I don't need them.

That is so cool!

After some ribbing from the co-workers, we just printed out an official eye chart and marked the proper distance on the floor. I'm sitting at a solid 20/30 in my one eye, and can make out about 1/2 of the letters on the same line with my other eye.

I'd be willing to bet that I'm at 20/20 when I first wake up in the morning.

I started rebuilding the deck on our house 4 weeks ago (2 weeks for de-construction; 2 weeks for repairs; 2 weeks for re-construction), so I haven't been checking in much. What a fascinating story!

Last year I was told I had early stage cataracts; follow-up exam in 2 weeks. My normal vision isn't too bad, but point light sources at night are really hazy. So, eventually, I'll be making an appointment with an eye surgeon. Keith, your report takes away a little of the anxiety of anticipation. Clearly, you are really excited about the outcome, even if it's still a moving target.

Archived