IGNORED

does anyone use an inversion table

brennaman

I have been thinking of getting an inversion table on the advice of my physical therapist. I don't know anyone personally that has one, so I thougt I could maybe get some advice here. I have deteriorating disc back pain. I have had it for the past 10 years, and exercise has kept it bearable. This past year, it has really slowed me down. Do any of you use one on a regular basis? Is there anything I should look for when purchasing one? If they really help, I WILL use it, but will it really help? Any advice is appreciated. thanks

I like you have had back pain for many years. I won't bore you with all the details, but I know where you are coming from. I did quite a bit of research on the different brands of machines and it appeared to me that the Teeter brand was the best out there.

The inversion position takes a bit getting used to, but you can build up to a complete inversion in a few days to a week depending on your comfort level. I guess your real question is does it help. Well, yes and no. It does help stretch the back and sometimes pop a vertebrae back into place, but it is not a "Silver Bullet".

I bought there basic unit for about $300. I found the foot retainer bar uncomfortable and purchased the separate inversion boots. A huge improvement.

The inversion table is just one part of my regular back care regiment of stretching, yoga and weights. Good luck with your decision.

Aluminum_Butt

I have one that I use inconsistently. I do have back pain, but it is not consistent. I bought the table because I thought it would just feel good sometimes to stretch out my back, and it does. But I can't comment on long term impact from regular use.

The key thing to me is the retainer system for your feet. Mine simply has a couple of padded bars that go in front of and behind my ankles. This is not particularly comfortable or secure feeling, and it does get in my way of really relaxing on the table - takes some effort/energy in my legs and ankles to hold.

It does take a bit of practice and adjustment to get to the point where you can tilt yourself back slowly and smoothly, and get back up with no effort. Recommend you have someone help you the first few times. In my case, after a week or so, I was able to do it without help.

Does it hold as many clothes as my exercise bike or treadmill?

---

Ain't that the truth.

We had one at work I tried, but I have bad knees and this just didn't work for me.

The ball plank exercise and stretching have been my 'cure'.

I have a Teeter and use it several times per week for maintenance. When I first bought it, I needed it several times daily. I've had mine for about three years.

I give this machine total credit for me being able to walk upright now, as I was bent over in pain previously. As stated above, they take some getting used to, and you shouldn't attempt a full inversion quickly. Ease into it over several weeks or longer.

If they're set up correctly, you can control the teeter with your arm position. By your side, you're level, arms on your chest, you're moving upside down.

There's also a strap which you can set to control just how far you can invert so you should set that in the beginning. Even a mild inversion feels slightly extreme until you get used to it.

My back "pops" and clicks itself straight in about a minute or so. You only need short bursts in the beginning. The secret is to regulate your breathing and telling certain parts of your tight back to relax as you will find yourself fighting the machine. It's kind of like where you have to let yourself go and get your breathing right to facilitate the "cure".

I hope it goes well for you.

Linz :)

I had previously considered buying an Inverter but didn't get the generally positiv comments I see on this site, guess I will reconsider for my Lumbar 4 and 5 issues that make my legs go numb.

Have a question for Linz though:

What with being down under and all that, which way would your head be pointing when fully inverted? :dopeslap:

Lets_Play_Two

I have had a mastercare table for at least 5 years and use it on average 4-5 times a week. I don't need to use it everyday and I use it to stretch out my back. It only takes 30 seconds to a minute. You do have to learn to relax your knees your hips, your back and your ankles.

What was your guys pain caused by that the table helped? I have a bulging or herniated disc, with lots of butt and leg pain. Could the table help with that?

What was your guys pain caused by that the table helped? I have a bulging or herniated disc, with lots of butt and leg pain. Could the table help with that?

I had a herniated disc when I first found out of my back problems. Having degenerative disc's, I have to be very careful with my back. I would not say that I have butt and leg pain, but more like irritating. Kinda like my butt and legs are falling asleep, with major numbness.

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to try to get one on craigs list, but if one does not come available soon (like this weekend) I have found one at Dick's sporting goods that I will pick up. thanks again

I had a herniated disc when I first found out of my back problems. Having degenerative disc's, I have to be very careful with my back. I would not say that I have butt and leg pain, but more like irritating. Kinda like my butt and legs are falling asleep, with major numbness.

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to try to get one on craigs list, but if one does not come available soon (like this weekend) I have found one at Dick's sporting goods that I will pick up. thanks again

iF mEMORY serves me, Phil - that bad back didn't keep you from "fireWalking" a few Falling Leaf Rallys ago...

jus' sayin'

B^)

iF mEMORY serves me, Phil - that bad back didn't keep you from "fireWalking" a few Falling Leaf Rallys ago...

jus' sayin'

B^)

Sorry, no firewalking here. We did meet at the unrally in Gunnison. If I remember, I almost missed that due to back pains just a couple day's before I took off. I should go to the Falling Leaf Rally this year. I am too close to miss that one every year. If my son's baseball season is over, I will try to make it this year. Hope to see you there.

Archived