IGNORED

ABS Sensor Adjustment

TracyMurphy

Ok, I give up. I guess I do not understand all there is to know about "searching" so I am going to just ask!!

How do you adjust the gap on the ABS Sensor???

Thanks

Tracy,

Measure the clearance between the end of the sensor and the abs ring on the wheel. Sorry, I don't know the spec. for an '02. If the clearance is incorrect, remove the sensor from its mount

and add or remove shims as needed to bring the clearance into spec.

Regards,

P.S I also find the search function difficult.

The shims are #7 on this illustration.

ABSShim.jpg

They are available in various thickness's.

To be honest it's not a job I've ever had to do on my bike and I've owned it for ten years from new.

Even when I replaced a faulty front sensor I just put the same shims back in again.

BMW Integral ABS

Type Active fully integral system

Sensor gap, front mm (in) 0.2...1.7 (0.0079...0.0670) (active sensor)

Sensor gap, rear mm (in) 0.2...1.7 (0.0079...0.0670) (active sensor)

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Tracy

If you need to adjust the gap by adding shims, don't use a BMW P/N, use reynolds, or anyones, aluminum foil. It'll will work just fine. Remove the existing shims and use them as a template to cut out new ones. Sandwich about 3 to 4 layers of foil between the shims and cut with a small xacto type blade.

And Tracy, just so you know, this forum has a peculiar flaw in its search engine. It ignores search terms that are three characters or less. So all those three character acronyms such as ABS, HES, LED, etc. etc. are ignored by the site's search function.

In Google, you can try using the search term "site:bmwsporttouring.com abs sensor shims" which may yield some better results.

Afternoon Tracy

Your 2002 RT should have the IABS (power brakes) brake system and that system doesn’t use shimable wheel sensors as the IABS sensors work over a very large gap range.

The earlier ABS-2 brakes did use shims to hold a tight sensor working gap as the sensor tone ring was a different design.

In any case if you are having sensor problems there is a published working gap of: Front= .0079”-.0670 and the Rear = 0079”-.0670 on the 2002 IABS system.

D.R.

Thanks for clearing this up for me. I have a Clymer manual I got from the previous owner, but it is for years 1993-1998. I also have a manual on CD that covers the 200 but could not find the adjustment or gap information.

Based on AndyS's post of;

BMW Integral ABS

Type Active fully integral system

Sensor gap, front mm (in) 0.2...1.7 (0.0079...0.0670) (active sensor)

Sensor gap, rear mm (in) 0.2...1.7 (0.0079...0.0670) (active sensor)

I am good at .722mm.

Brake bleed is the next challenge, but I need it to stop raining so I can run some more fuel out of the tank. There is a lot of great information on this site and I just want to once again say thanks to all.

My 96 R/RT has a sticker on the fork leg lower that says ABS 0.5-0.55mm. I had never bothered to check, simply assuming that since it was never changed, how could it 'change' and get out of tolerance. I'd simply put the shims in as they came out whenever I did maintenance calling for removal of the ABS sensor. Then I began having ABS light 'issues' after doing fork seals. On checking the ABS sensor gap, it was way too tight. Aluminum foil shims (as described elsewhere in this thread) did the trick.

Hi Jig3, Just for the benefit of others, to remind you (as DR has mentioned), the 1100, and the 1150 has different ABS systems, so gaps are different.

Archived