IGNORED

I Needed This

Glenn Reed

So let's set the scene -

1) My last ride was New Years Day, a good one, but more than six weeks ago.

2) It's been cold and we've gotten some snow. Even Paul took the time to document getting out recently, and I am in the same vicinity.

3) The weather has warmed up a little, it was in the high 40's low 50's today.

4) I had the day off to attend the funeral for my Uncle Bud.

Now Uncle Bud was 93, so he lived a long life, but more than that, he lived a full life. He was the oldest of ten siblings, those who lived past the age of two. My father was the ninth of those ten, and he passed away just a little less than three years ago.

For those who follow bluegrass music, Ralph "Bud" Reed was married to Ola Belle Reed from 1949 until she passed away in 2002. The two of them made a lot of music together, some nationally recorded, some by the Smithsonian. (Yes, the group Olabelle is named after my aunt.)

One of the many cousins who came today noticed my necktie, decorated with many small figures of Winnie the Pooh. Not only did it go with my shirt, but it reminded me of my uncle when I saw it in my closet. Uncle Bud was always this very happy fellow, who had a child-like positive attitude about him. It just seemed appropriate, but my explanation didn't seem to click with anyone else. This happens to me a lot, and I am getting used to it. No, not really.

Anyway, during the inevitable side conversations, one of my cousins, myself, and my sister's fiancee discussed getting together this Spring and riding together. Now they are both Harley guys, and I doubt that ATGATT is in their vocabulary, but the idea of riding with them on roads they both know and love, makes me think it will be fun. We exchanged numbers and will try to set something up.

This is all going through my brain on the way home, and, well, I had to go for a ride. I knew it would be late afternoon, with the sun low in the sky if I happened to head west, and there is snowmelt wandering across the road everywhere, but I needed to get out there.

I changed out of the coat and tie into my riding gear, took the cover off the bike (no garage, too close to the property line, I will have to figure something out before next Winter.) It started up on the first try and I finished putting on all my stuff.

I rode 60 miles in two hours, nothing spectacular, I know, but it was all back roads and I had to keep my head in the game at all times. Lots of side roads entering, up and over small hills while also going around curves.

It felt good.

Uncle Bud, I will miss you.

So sorry for your loss, he sounds like a real gem. You tie story reminded me of my aunt's funeral. My brother wore a Betty Boop tie. My aunt was a nun and well into her 80's, my mother was upset with my brother, by all afternoon the nuns kept coming over to my brother and telling him that my aunt would have loved it. She had a great sense of humor too.

So sorry for your loss, he sounds like a real gem. You tie story reminded me of my aunt's funeral. My brother wore a Betty Boop tie. My aunt was a nun and well into her 80's, my mother was upset with my brother, by all afternoon the nuns kept coming over to my brother and telling him that my aunt would have loved it. She had a great sense of humor too.

Thanks, sounds like your brother and I might get along. :)

Bud looked like a happy soul, can't ask for better than that. :thumbsup: You should set a date to ride with your cousin because ten years is gonna happen really quick.

Sorry for your loss Glenn.

Pat

Glenn,

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Your post made me think of my (great) Uncle Bud, gone for many years, but still in my memories. (He not only had a horse named Mr. Ed, but worked on a train, and was totally cool!)

It sounds like your Uncle Bud lived a wonderful long life filling the world with music, and I'm not sure what could be a better epitaph.

Archived