IGNORED

Question about my new to me RT

badge502

I just swapped my LeMans for an RT... Im a big BMW fan, and have owned a few bmw's. This RT is awesome!!! BUT, I have a compression fracture in my back, and that sitting up straight kills my back... It there anyway to shorten the handlebars on a 2004 RT?

The only way I can think of is finding some mounts that replace the stock bars to mount a tubular bar.

In the meantime, a "kidney belt" that relieves your back may help.

I use one all the time.

Evening badge502

I presume you mean lower the bars not shorten them across their width?

Not easily but definitely could be done with a little (well a lot of work). Anything from using round bars like Paul suggested to re-machining the bases of your stock bars to allow them to angle down to maybe fitting some S bars with adaption.

The big problem you will run into is the bars hitting the gas tank at full lock.

Might be easier to just raise the seat and foot pegs.

Its got a Russell seat on it, and I can barely reach the ground now...

But, yes, I meant LOWER the bars... Maybe like on an RS. I really like to keep the RT, but I can only ride on it comfortably for an hour or so, then the disk starts to swell up, and it really hurts like the devil.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

I know you've heard it before, neutral spine, practice your balancing on one foot, etc. while keeping your abs tight.

best wishes.

Several years back, I modified some Mototechniques bar-backs with a new set of threaded holes so as to angle the bars farther back on an 1100RT. I don't see why one couldn't take two pieces of billet aluminum and fabricate a reverse of what Mototechniques did. Instead of moving the bars up and back, you could make a move forward and angled down a bit.

From having taught back rehab in a past profession, I can tell you it only takes a few dgrees of angle change to get relief from the pain. I also know what you are going through as I had a bi-level fusion in the lower back five years ago. I'm happy to report that with proper core exercises and a little work on the ergos of each bike, I can ride them all comfortably for long periods of time now. I think the biggest factor though is the exercise.

I just swapped my LeMans for an RT... Im a big BMW fan, and have owned a few bmw's. This RT is awesome!!! BUT, I have a compression fracture in my back, and that sitting up straight kills my back... It there anyway to shorten the handlebars on a 2004 RT?

Welcome to the forum Badge502.

What a change of bike - from a Lemon to an RT!

The Boxer is a lovely bike, but maybe you should be considering an RS not an RT. That gives most of the yummy features of the RT but with lower bars. (Rubber mounted too).

Andy

Yeah, I've thought about that, but this RT is a real beauty... Im going to give it a try.

Going from the LeMans to the RT wasnt that big of a leap... The biggest swing I took from bike to bike was from a Sportster to a CBR XX... Now THAT was a change and a half!!!

Archived