IGNORED

Can a 2006 RT1200 be converted to GP (reverse) shift pattern?

SpeedyCorky

coming from sportbikes, i've gotten to really like the GP shift pattern. I was looking at a 2006 RT1200P i'd like to get, but the shifting mechanism is crazy complicated, i dont see how it could be converted to the reverse pattern, but i figured i'd ask cuz you folks know a lot more about the bike than me

Regular pattern

N

Desired "GP shift" pattern

N

Afternoon SpeedyCorky

I haven’t really looked at the area that closely with the idea of reversing the shift sequence in mind so this is just a MAYBE.

If there is enough real-estate in the trans stub shaft area maybe the shift lever on the trans stub shaft can be reversed then a longer link fabricated. It would take some fooling with the lever angles/link length as the link would have to cross over the shaft centers.

The other option would be a small fabricated bell crank and two new links between the foot lever and the trans shaft lever that would reverse the input to the trans lever.

OK, I really hope I'm not the only noob who wants to know: You want one up and five down? Instead of one down and five up. Or am I just a Know nothing?

Evening Rockrib

I don’t but it looks like Mr. SpeedyCorky does. Some racers like the reversed lever down for upshift as it gives more foot to ground clearance when UP shifting with the bike leaned WAY over.

OK...I almost did this for another reason...

Moved my pegs back.. and was a stretch to reach shift lever... so I though about reversing it... flipping shift lever upside down..

would have solved one problem...and created another...

I would have to shift one up and 5 down... figured I'd blow the tranny before learning how to do that..

Not that it is a problem on a boxer, but a plus to the reversed shift pattern on the MGP bikes is that when accelerating hard out of a corner, shifting up no longer adds UP force adding to the chance of wheelies.

To up shift now you push DOWN on the shift lever, helping the bike NOT to wheelie.

Small added plus to the inverted shift pattern of 1 up and 4 or 5 down.

CoarsegoldKid
...a plus to the reversed shift pattern on the MGP bikes is that when accelerating hard out of a corner, shifting up no longer adds UP force adding to the chance of wheelies.

To up shift now you push DOWN on the shift lever, helping the bike NOT to wheelie.

Not buying it.

If a MGP rider is shifting with enough force to upset the chassis with a foot he or she should start tractor pulling instead.

If you're so used to sportbikes you miss the GP shift pattern, I can't wait to hear what you miss about the power....

had the same thought

However doing this would give it a "joy ride" prevention option.

its more just easier when you are doing a million things at once riding fast, to just click down on something (to shift up), as opposed to trying to get your foot under something and pull up on it. its what i've gotten used to doing.

soo, can it be done on a 2006 RT1200 ??

The reason for GP shifting is more foot clearance while upshifting in a hard left bank. That said some top level AMA and GP riders use it, some don't.

Most sportbikes can be converted to a GP pattern by reversing the direction of the shift linkage where it goes in to the transmission. Since it appears that the 1200RT's shift lever goes directly in to the transmission without an external linkage, I am guessing one could not reverse the pattern without reengineering some of the internal transmission parts.

the RT1200 DOES have shift linkage, it sure doesnt go directly to the tranny... in fact, the linkage is pretty complicated when i looked under the bike. question is can the linkage be modified or replaced to make GP shift possible?

--- Since it appears that the 1200RT's shift lever goes directly in to the transmission without an external linkage, I am guessing one could not reverse the pattern without reengineering some of the internal transmission parts.

Afternoon Mister_Tee

Not sure where you got that idea but as you can see the 1200RT not only uses an external link between the foot lever pivot shaft and the trans shaft lever but the trans shaft lever is also splined with a removable (and probably reversible) lever.

I’m not saying there is enough room to (easily) make the reversal possible and the link would then be a crossover link I’m just saying the way the shift linkage works with reversible lever and removable link MIGHT make it possible with some re-engineering.

1200RTtrans.jpg

^^

is the above picture of the RT1200? if so, then the big black thing in the first pic, one should be able to rotate it 180 degrees and boom done.

i thought when i looked under the bike, the spindle/spline on the tranny was pointing rear-ward, rather than outside to the left as the picture above shows

maybe i didnt take a good enough look at the linkage? i really remember it being a lot more complicated than that

Speedy might just be paranoid in a high theft area and wants to make life aggravating for potential ride off thieves that can circumvent the EWS! ;)

--- Since it appears that the 1200RT's shift lever goes directly in to the transmission without an external linkage, I am guessing one could not reverse the pattern without reengineering some of the internal transmission parts.

Afternoon Mister_Tee

Not sure where you got that idea but as you can see the 1200RT not only uses an external link between the foot lever pivot shaft and the trans shaft lever but the trans shaft lever is also splined with a removable (and probably reversible) lever.

I’m not saying there is enough room to (easily) make the reversal possible and the link would then be a crossover link I’m just saying the way the shift linkage works with reversible lever and removable link MIGHT make it possible with some re-engineering.

1200RTtrans.jpg

Ahh I wish I still had my RT to look at. You know, I never actually paid much attention to the shift linkage on my bike, I just assumed it went directly in the transmission because I couldn't see it very well. Inobservant yes - please don't hate on me for that.

That being the case, it would appear you COULD reverse the link. Good information. I know some people really like GP shifting but I never cared for it myself.

Afternoon Joe

This particular picture comes from my personal archive. It is compiled from the BMW service manual reworked combining a couple different of views of that trans/shifter area.

CoarsegoldKid

Thanks, I was hoping that there was some secret internet location teeming of great break out pics of our bikes. You'll have to be our goto guy.

...a plus to the reversed shift pattern on the MGP bikes is that when accelerating hard out of a corner, shifting up no longer adds UP force adding to the chance of wheelies.

Not buying it.

If a MGP rider is shifting with enough force to upset the chassis with a foot he or she should start tractor pulling instead.

You are talking about a BMW gearbox. :grin:

Seems this goes back to the days of clunky transmissions and wanting to ensure no missed shifts on the drive out of the corner. With today’s ultra slick shifting transmissions it seems to be less of a factor other than toe clearance for that first shift as one drives off the apex.....but then at the top level of racing with all the gear sets and sprocketing combinations available one could sort that to eliminate wonky shift points for any given track....so I am left with the old days of clunky transmissions explanation.

I have a '99 R1100RT with said clunk-box and had considered this exact fix as I was occasionally missing a shift. I found a way leass costly and faster fix. I bought steel toed work shoes and with a big stiff toe box on the boot....no more missed shifts!! A trick and stylish solution? Not so much; but it works!

Archived