IGNORED

Pricing released on K1600 models... wow!

Roadwolf

This was on BMW Motorrad's Facebook post today.... can't believe the pricing here but if true, that is a good deal lower than what I was hearing.

Don't know if it just good for this presale period though.

‎2012 BMW K1600 Series Pricing

Inline-6 + 160 hp + 129 ft/lb

>> $20,900 MSRP K 1600 GT

>> $23,200 MSRP K 1600 GTL

Presale ending Feb 28, '11

Both Base models come equipped with:

• Xenon headlight with dynamic leveling

• Heated seat

• Heated grips

• Cruise control

• Multifunction display, on-board computer and multi-controller

• Integral ABS

• Luggage rack

• E-Gas throttle with three power modes

• White LED turn signals

• Power adjustable windshield

The Base Model K 1600 GTL also includes:

• Bluetooth

• Audio system with tuner, Sirius satellite radio with one-year complimentary subscription, iPod/USB integration, 3.5mm Aux input, GPS preparation

• Top case in body color

• Comfort backrest for top case

• Third stop light for top case

• Comfort windshield

• Comfort footrests

• Chrome body kit

For all the moaning about cost to buy a BMW, those aren't bad.

I remeber a 6 year stretch where the RT stayed within a small variation of price and those GT prices are less than $2,900 more than the MSRP on my GT back in '03.

Maybe the 1600 prices will remain fairly level for a long time.

Projectin 2 years down the road one ought to be able to buy a preowned GT for under $14-15k.

I think they'll sell a few of these and predict there will be more conquest sales from this product than the earlier 650 melange.

I will keep on riding the original GT, for now.

:lurk:

On the internationally recognized PPP (price per pound) comparison, the GT is roughly $27/lb. An exceptional bargain. That's used RT territory. ;)

Joking aside, the pricing is actually much lower than I expected. That's a lot of bike for fair money.

Secret Buzzard

If the GTL comes with the "Comfort" seat and windshield, does that mean the GT only has the "Discomfort" version? Since this is a full fledged touring bike shouldn't all models be comfortable?

If the GTL comes with the "Comfort" seat and windshield, does that mean the GT only has the "Discomfort" version? Since this is a full fledged touring bike shouldn't all models be comfortable?

Naw. The GTL is for sissies. The GT is for REAL men!

:rofl:

Judging from the GT and GTL that I sat on in January, the GT had a far more comfortable seat.

And the "chrome kit" on the GTL that I saw was, frankly, cheap crap. I liked the GT over the GTL. Buy your own top box.

One of the things I don't understand about BMW top boxes is that they have this liner that seems to use about 25% of the interior space. I guess it conceals the locking mechanism that my friend is frequently struggling with on his 12RT. It jams if you close the lid with something not quite tucked in.

What's up with marketing speak on the headlight;

K1600GT Pricing

Base Price $20,900

Includes: Xenon Headlight with Dynamic Leveling

Standard Package $23,045

Includes: Safety Package (Adaptive Headlight, Traction Control, Tire Pressure Monitoring)

K1600GTL PRICING

Base Price $23,200

Premium Package $25,845

Includes: Safety Package (Adaptive Headlight, Traction Control, Tire Pressure Monitoring)

What's up with marketing speak on the headlight;

K1600GT Pricing

Base Price $20,900

Standard Package $23,045

K1600GTL PRICING

Base Price $23,200

Premium Package $25,845

I believe that "dynamic leveling" refers to the automatic adjustment of the height of the beam (keeping it from dazzling oncoming traffic if the bike is loaded in back), whereas the "adaptive headlight" aims the beam into turns.

I believe the dynamic leveling keeps the headlights aimed properly regardless of the weight on the back of the bike.

I believe the Adaptive headlight actually tilts the headlight into a corner when you start to lean the bike over. So it actually lights up where you're going instead of the ditch on the other side of the road.

EDIT....Damn, Mike beat me to it :grin:

I think you are correct on the dynamic leveling for carrying a load and keeping the beem properly adjusted, but ( as I understand it) the adaptive headlight adjustment deals with keeping the light beam level as the bike leans around turns not pointing around the turn. ("aims the beam into turns. ")

oops my mistake :( here is some brief text from a review on Motorcycle.com

Also of note is the optional "Adaptive Headlight." This center-bulb arrangement supplements the standard xenon dual headlamps by adjusting in relation to the bike’s pitch and roll. So, if you’re trail-braking into a left-hand corner, the headlight path automatically raises up (to compensate for the bike pitching down while braking) and turns to the left (to shine around the corner) based on gyro sensors. This is the first time this technology has been introduced on a motorcycle

aims the beam into turns
My roadster does this. Clever design. They mounted the headlight right on the forks, so that it turns with the handlebars. ;)
aims the beam into turns
My roadster does this. Clever design. They mounted the headlight right on the forks, so that it turns with the handlebars. ;)

yeah, great in town going around corners at 10mph, but when cruising down a twisty road at 70mph and you counter-steer; not so great.

Having serious mental problems here!!!

Sat on the GTL at the Sinsheim bike show...LOVED it, felt like the seat was made by Russell

Read all the reviews, pros and cons, not many cons

watched hours of videos, hmmmmm not overly impressive, but sound was good

Seen the pricing, very impressive

Someone please help and tell me why not to get one?

$20K sounds very reasonable. A bit too early for me to jump on a big tourer. ( not yet retired).

My RT was about that much when it was purchased new by its original owner, according to his receipt.

CoarsegoldKid
Someone please help and tell me why not to get one?
Judging from your sig you live relatively close to the factory. That might come in handy.

Access to factory techs. Priceless.

This was on BMW Motorrad's Facebook post today.... can't believe the pricing here but if true, that is a good deal lower than what I was hearing.

>>> $4,995 Dealer inspection, preparation and delivery

>>>$25,895 Total Retail

>>> $6,995 EXCLUSIVE Dealer inspection, preparation and delivery

>>>$30,195 Total Retail - Limited Edition Pricing

Fixed it for ya! :D

- Scott

Don't forget to ask for a second key at delivery....it might be covered under warranty. And ya might want to pick up an extra antenna ring, in case one of BMW's terrible "vendors" delivers a bad batch or two or three or how many versions were there? Keeping fingers crossed on final drive, switches, air box, sensors and such.

Don't forget, try to get the $387.56 oil filter wrench included with the deal. Lastly, a $2,000.00 plus extended warranty might be called for given this is first year for the ALL new motorcycle of the century....and beyond.

Tongue-in-cheek comments....so don't blow an antenna ring over them.

>>>$25,895 Total Retail

- Scott

Nope. BMW dealers could not get away with that even in the best of times. BMW riders are too smart (cheap ;) ). Even Harley dealers can't do that anymore. Not doing it is the main reason HD profits are waaaay down. Just in case, I work at a HD/BMW dealer.

>>>$25,895 Total Retail

- Scott

Nope. BMW dealers could not get away with that even in the best of times. BMW riders are too smart (cheap ;) ). Even Harley dealers can't do that anymore. Not doing it is the main reason HD profits are waaaay down. Just in case, I work at a HD/BMW dealer.

There is one that tried and did for a while until it was stopped with a class action law suit. Hopefully, lesson learned.

Dennis Andress

With a curb weight of 760 lbs, for the GTL. And, 160 hp with 129 ft/lb of torque. I'm thinking they plan to make their profit selling brake pads and tires.

With a curb weight of 760 lbs, for the GTL. And, 160 hp with 129 ft/lb of torque. I'm thinking they plan to make their profit selling brake pads and tires.
Finally, a sport touring bike that weighs more than my ST1300. :) Where do I sign?

Nope....... BMW dealers could not get away with that even in the best of times. BMW riders are too smart (cheap ;) ). Even Harley dealers can't do that anymore. Not doing it is the main reason HD profits are waaaay down. Just in case, I work at a HD/BMW dealer.

Paul,

Every time I go to look at a new bikes and get a sales sheet work up, there is considerable amount of dealer fees, namely Delivery charge, dealer prep.

what is the truth behind these charges and can they be avoided? Thanks

Don't forget to ask for a second key at delivery....it might be covered under warranty. And ya might want to pick up an extra antenna ring, in case one of BMW's terrible "vendors" delivers a bad batch or two or three or how many versions were there? Keeping fingers crossed on final drive, switches, air box, sensors and such.

Don't forget, try to get the $387.56 oil filter wrench included with the deal. Lastly, a $2,000.00 plus extended warranty might be called for given this is first year for the ALL new motorcycle of the century....and beyond.

Tongue-in-cheek comments....so don't blow an antenna ring over them.

Not sure I get the point of your post. YOU blow an antenna ring and head wayy out to left field, but ask others to just let your comments go. It's OK I guess for you to go off the deep end, but then you somehow want $200 for passing go and a get out of jail free card? I don't think that's what community chest is all about.

BMW charges the dealer for delivery of the bike.

The dealer has to unload, uncrate (or store and then uncrate), assemble, (PDI), and gas up/road test.

This assumes all went OK w/shipping/handling/delivery.

Takes time and money to do the above.

Dealerships need to recover those costs at some point.

How that happens varies.

IMO< those fees should be the actual delivery charge and time for the PDI.

The price for the bike (vs. MSRP) is negotiable but the dealership should recover the cost to get the bike on the floor.

FWIW, the dealership I worked at did not add any fees.

They absorbed the cost of delivery and PDI.

All bikes were sold at below MSRP.

I worked there and did not agree with the policy.

Best wishes.

What about the cost of the bike to dealer vs. the list price? Isn't the cost of getting the bike to the floor covered in that spread? It would seem dumb for it not to be, since it's just opening an opportunity for the customer to feel that he is being taken advantage of. From a customer standpoint, it makes sense that the cost is hidden.

Auto manufacturers certainly do it that way. I don't regularly see cars with added dealer fees, but you can bet the dealer's time in prepping it is accounted for somewhere.

Oh NO...you or no one has to let anything go...I don't need to pass "GO" to comment. Never had a ring problem, but saw lots of my customers that did and BMW rep would comment, "Yes, it will take us a few years to get over this, but we will". This while customer is calling from his cell phone 40 miles from anywhere. Pretty much same comment on the fuel strip. But all part of the excitement of owning the newest and best there is.

It wasn't a game comment...it was a tongue-in-cheek comment about the typical and non typical hurdles new introductions from BMW and other makes go through. I must have struck a nerve, you got reservations in Indy on a couple of these coming over the pond?

Here's a tip, if you don't "get" the post, don't respond...it makes you look like you didn't get the post.

PDIs vary as much as there are dealers. Some actually go through the schedule, others have a 20 year old kid, who hung around the shop long enough to get them to put him to work and he does the uncrate, puts on the front wheel, screws the saddlebag lids on, checks for oil and moves on to the next bkie or sweeping the floor. A tech or someone with some kind of license, will actual put on the few BMW required miles before delivery.

The kid probably spent 1 1/2 hours @ $10.00 an hour and the tech (if they are going by the rules) 20 minutes @ $20.00 an hour. So $25.00 human costs and of course the equipment to get it done.

Sad to say, saw this on a daily basis.

This is really an extension of the "cost of doing business" discussion. Most auto repair facilities in my area add a small fee to cover "shop expenses", rags, cleaners etc...

If I go to the Best Buy and buy electronics pricing look different. I pay $99 for my widget. But BB had shipping cost and someone had to set up the display and someone else had to explain the features and benefits to me. Well if I could find that someone. But these are all cost of doing business. When I see the widget at widget.com and it said $99 and provided a list of retailers, then I go to the BB expecting to pay $99. But if I would have been told once I arrived that it's $99 + $5 shipping, $5 setup and display, and my total is now $109, I leave. I feel deceived and I vow not to do business with widget.com again.

A good understanding makes for a long friendship. In fairness BMWs website does have disclaimers and a note that $XXX shipping handling not included. And that final pricing is set by dealers. But I would feel better about it all being in the MSRP.

The one that gets to me is the "Doc Fee". Doc Fee translates to "additional revenue with no cost basis, I.e. Additional profit. It is not a fee at all. Look at where it is on the buyer's order. It's is above the line in the taxable section. That is merely a price increase. OK off my soapbox.

Not disapointed with the pricing or surprised. If you go out and buy a loaded HD winnebago the numbers are similar. I would assume most on this board will wait 12-24 months before taking the plunge saving both money and the minor fixes associated with new platform intros. I would certainly be focused on the Beemer versus the alternative.

Oh NO...you or no one has to let anything go...I don't need to pass "GO" to comment. Never had a ring problem, but saw lots of my customers that did and BMW rep would comment, "Yes, it will take us a few years to get over this, but we will". This while customer is calling from his cell phone 40 miles from anywhere. Pretty much same comment on the fuel strip. But all part of the excitement of owning the newest and best there is.

It wasn't a game comment...it was a tongue-in-cheek comment about the typical and non typical hurdles new introductions from BMW and other makes go through. I must have struck a nerve, you got reservations in Indy on a couple of these coming over the pond?

Here's a tip, if you don't "get" the post, don't respond...it makes you look like you didn't get the post.

Dan - Thanks for the tip, friendo. This is/was a thread about the new pricing of the 1600's. Rehashing issues that have been covered ad nauseum on a thread titled "Pricing released on K1600 models . . wow!" no less, seems out of place. There are plenty of oil filter wrench, fuel strip, o ring threads, etc to post your concerns about these issues if you choose. No doubt this bike will have issues, and those have and are being discussed (speculated) on in other threads. :thumbsup:

$20,900 for a well equipped touring bike with ABS is a really good price.

"both Base models come equipped with:

• Xenon headlight with dynamic leveling

• Heated seat

• Heated grips

• Cruise control

• Multifunction display, on-board computer and multi-controller

• Integral ABS

• Luggage rack

• E-Gas throttle with three power modes

• White LED turn signals

• Power adjustable windshield

"

Last time I priced an FJR or a C14 locally with ABS it was just the kawa was $16,000 the FJr was a bit more.

NO heated seat, no cruise and no other hitech stuff like self leveling head light.

This is not a kawasaki vs. BMw post, but I am surprised that the new 1600 is price below what I thought it would be.

-----------------

About the dealer ad on fees:

A salesman once told me that the dealer receives refund from the manufacturer after the vehicle is sold. Cause otf the economy, may not be the same today.

PDIs,

I also worked for a car dealer at one point and PDI ( pre delivery inspection) was done mostly by lube techs or other low paid helpers. Remove plastic wrappers, install floormats, hubcaps, check air pressure, engine and trans oil, set radio clock, check light and all other junk and short test drive. The tech gets .4 labor hours.

Considering that the tech needed to find the correct vehicle by VIN number on the storage lot, drive it to the shop, get the work done and fill out all paperwork then park the vehicle turn in the keys; it was a hated job and was done in a hurry.

I think dealers can absorb cost, all $10 of it. :)

Paul,

Every time I go to look at a new bikes and get a sales sheet work up, there is considerable amount of dealer fees, namely Delivery charge, dealer prep.

what is the truth behind these charges and can they be avoided? Thanks

This is about BMW motorcycles only. The dealer gets for every motorcycle in the shop inventory a price label like the "Monroney" label on cars. This label shows the basic price of the bike, the price of the factory installed accessories, and a $495 destination cost charged to the dealer. The total of this is the full MSRP. This label is there to be shown on every bike in the showroom. On the same label it says: "Pre-Delivery Assembly (PDA) charges are included in MSRP". BMW pays the dealer the PDA costs when the bike is reported sold, so the dealer should not charge extra. On top of that it is common to charge the labor cost of documentation (paper work), some times limited by state law. In Maryland the limit is $100, we charge $99 ;) . On top of that the actual cost paid for tax, title/registration/plate, temporary plate if needed. Anything else is between the customer and the dealer.

I've paid $195 in documentation fees on a new bike. It takes maybe 15 minutes to do the paperwork. Thats $780 per hour. A criminal lawyer makes, maybe, half that.

Dan - Thanks for the tip, friendo. This is/was a thread about the new pricing of the 1600's. Rehashing issues that have been covered ad nauseum on a thread titled "Pricing released on K1600 models . . wow!" no less, seems out of place. There are plenty of oil filter wrench, fuel strip, o ring threads, etc to post your concerns about these issues if you choose. No doubt this bike will have issues, and those have and are being discussed (speculated) on in other threads. :thumbsup:

Thread police alert...thread police alert

"there is considerable amount of dealer fees, namely Delivery charge, dealer prep.

what is the truth behind these charges and can they be avoided?"

I asked a salesman about this once at a BMW dealership. He said that part of those fees are so they can afford to have demo bikes. I guess the fee's can be considered a fund to pay for the depreciation of selling a demo bike. He did mention that they are negotiable to an extent.

My dad is a manager at a car lot and he says that the dealer markups on cars are ALWAYS negotiable and can usually get thrown out, as long as you are willing to walk away.

I doubt the markup on a bike is the same as a car, so I bet they have a little less wiggle room when it comes to making a profit.

-Ryan

Hey, if you can't afford the best, go buy what you can afford and don't complain. Or wait a while and so bo-bo will have one that he couldn't handle for a bargain. Patience grasshopper.

Maybe the pillion will not be happy and file for a divorce. Lota good bikes cheap that way.

CGameProgrammer
I asked a salesman about this once at a BMW dealership. He said that part of those fees are so they can afford to have demo bikes.

He lied to you. BMW pays for the demo bikes; that's why all BMW dealers have dedicated demo bikes and nobody else does.

Also the delivery charge is legitimate for BMWs, in that it is added to the invoice that the dealer pays.

I asked a salesman about this once at a BMW dealership. He said that part of those fees are so they can afford to have demo bikes.

He lied to you. BMW pays for the demo bikes; that's why all BMW dealers have dedicated demo bikes and nobody else does.

Also the delivery charge is legitimate for BMWs, in that it is added to the invoice that the dealer pays.

Wrong I believe - Unless the program changed in the last year, the dealer pays for all his bikes, not BMW. Those designated as Demos are discounted by BMW. The number of demos any dealer has is based on his inventory - thereby a formula resulting in what he qualifies for. Dealer gets a pretty good discount for taking bikes under the Demo Plan, but he has to go by certain criteria as to when he can sell it...he can pass his discount along or make a little more profit as he wishes. Or yes, in some situations, he can still lose money on the sell.

Couple of things...

As I understand it, you will not be able to get a BASE model, all will come fully loaded.. and (rumor has it.. and this was from a very good "source") if you haven't already pre-ordered yours, all of this years 1600's are "spoken" for.

Archived