IGNORED

EWS in instrument display

Gkgeiger

A friend of mine is out of town and got a big EWS in his display. Everything else went away. I know I've seen a post regarding this but I did a search and came up empty. Anyone know what it is? Thanks,

Morning Gene

The “EWS” is a German acronym for “electronic-immobilizer”, also known as the EWS system.

It basically consists of a pellet in the ignition key with a receiving antenna ring around the top of the ignition switch key area.

In the 2007-2008 era BMW had a LOT of issues with the EWS on the RT and GS/GSA. In fact so many there was a couple of service bulletins and some sort of recall.

In most cases once you (or in this case he) gets the EWS warning the bike just won’t start (for any reason or in any way). If the bike is still covered by the service bulletin or recall then BMW will tow it and repair it for free. If the problem is not covered by BMW then USUALLY installing the later (updated) antenna ring will eliminate the EWS problem.

If the bike is stranded then usually a new antenna ring can just be plugged in then the spare ignition key taped inside the ring to get the bike started and to a place for a more permanent repair.

Bottom line here is: once that EWS warning appears and stays on the bike then is essentially a large paper weight (UNTIL the EWS system is repaired). The EWS system is pretty tamper proof so no real easy work-around to get the bike started once a permanent EWS warning appears.

If the EWS warning light is just a once in a while thing have him remove all other electronic keys from his key ring (sometimes other electronic keys will confuse the system). Maybe clean the key top and the antenna ring area with glass cleaner (probably won’t help though).

CoarsegoldKid

This past summer I got the EWS display. After a few minutes I turned the key again and the warning was gone. Bike started and about 10K miles later it is still working fine.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I will forward this to him. He called me after I posted this and said the bike was working fine, but I'm sure that is temporary.

• 4 months later...

Is this EWS still an issue after a bike has been recalled?

Mine was taken care of way back in '08 (I think).

I haven't heard many folks with failures.

Recently, I bumped into someone that still was carring a spare EWS(next to his spare FPC). He said they still fail.

Do you carry a spare?

On my 800ST I thought there was a recall, and you could get a free (at any time) replacement.

However, the replacement involved taking the bars out and apart, and drilling into the old unit, etc. And a few stories circulated about dealers screwing up other parts of the bike in the process.

Mine never failed me in 3 1/2 years and 22 k miles. So I never bothered with it.

However, the only thing I have on my key is a small metal ring. No other keys, etc etc.

I wonder if that may interfere.

Also some did report they used their spare key, and it worked.

I think if its a recall they replace it forever.

dc

Even though I have an 06, I carry a spare with me at all times. Once BMW lowered the price on them and hearing how many have failed. I'm often out west where the nearest dealer is several hundred miles away.

I figured it was cheap insurance, as long as I carry a spare I know mine will never fail!....

Even though I have an 06, I carry a spare with me at all times. Once BMW lowered the price on them and hearing how many have failed. I'm often out west where the nearest dealer is several hundred miles away.

I figured it was cheap insurance, as long as I carry a spare I know mine will never fail!....

Ditto. I think it was $30. Even though mine was replaced & I've got a dealer warranty on it, that won't do me any good at o-dark-thirty in East Nowhere. Also carry a FPC bypass cable just in case.

Do they make dehydrated FDs that I could just add water to make it grow? :grin:

+1 for Digger.

My 08 got the recall but I carry a spare EWS as cheap insurance and the bypass cable (that I've needed once already).

The quality of German vehicle electronics is far below the standards of Japan, US and Korea and is the bane of their entire automotive industry- the reason its quality is below Asian cheapies. Comes from lousy outsourcing management and poor oversight of design practice- both cultural issues in euro organizations (worked for an with enough to know this for certain).

I looked at buying one. I could not find it on the A&S site. I have an 07. Anyone know the part number?

Thanks,

Ron

I looked at buying one. I could not find it on the A&S site. I have an 07. Anyone know the part number?

Thanks,

Ron

I called dealer and got part number. 61357705247 $36.98

Guest Kakugo

Can anyone provide a link to a guide to roadside EWS replacement? Since i already have an FPC on board all the time I may as well toss this one aboard as well.

Thanks.

But has anyone had a second one fail?

I surely don't want to be out in the boonies saying I should have paid the $36. But, I am curious. If nobody had a failure, this new EWS I have might be just as likely to fail as the engine controller. Surely you don't have one of those kicking around in the saddlebags.

But has anyone had a second one fail?

I surely don't want to be out in the boonies saying I should have paid the $36. But, I am curious. If nobody had a failure, this new EWS I have might be just as likely to fail as the engine controller. Surely you don't have one of those kicking around in the saddlebags.

Second one and a third one failed on my wife's. Last on failed at the John Day UN Rally, and I had a spare. In fact I bought a spare for the spare being used while on that trip to get us home. Sucks to have a perfectly running bike that you cannot start because the computer cannot read the key. You bet I will always carry a one.

Ditto. I think it was $30. Even though mine was replaced & I've got a dealer warranty on it, that won't do me any good at o-dark-thirty in East Nowhere. Also carry a FPC bypass cable just in case.

Do they make dehydrated FDs that I could just add water to make it grow? :grin:

Jim,

We are of like mind. I ALSO care a FTP bypass cable. I wish I could carry a spart FD, since that IS the part that failed and stranded me in Colorado a few years back (I now check mine over completely before I leave for a trip, not sure that really does anything for me but...).

I believe there are at least 2 riders on the IBR this year that are carrying spare FD units.... at $1795 for a new one, that's a bit high for my spare parts list.... (plus the space it uses up...)

Second one and a third one failed on my wife's. Last on failed at the John Day UN Rally, and I had a spare. In fact I bought a spare for the spare being used while on that trip to get us home. Sucks to have a perfectly running bike that you cannot start because the computer cannot read the key. You bet I will always carry a one.

Well, based on the track record of the FPC fix, the gas guage issues, FD and . . . this doesn't come as a surprise. I'm gonna go add a EWS to my on-board supply of parts. It sounds like it does still happen and cost/size isn't huge, so it makes sense.

Thanks all.

Archived