IGNORED

Bike sitting on interstate feeder road

bohuntr

I had to leave my bike on the feeder of the interstate this evening with a rear flat tire. I somehow got a puncture that emptied from 42 lbs to 18 lbs in about a mile, then went completely flat. Brand new tires were put on last Thursday, so this really bites.

I have all the tools to pull the rear wheel, and have done it before, but can't remember what I need to haul out to do the work so I can take it and get it plugged. It's been a few years.

Besides a star for the lugs on the wheel, what will I need to bring to the roadside? I can't remember pulling off the pipe, but don't want to get the 20 miles out there and find I'm missing something either. I don't have a way to haul my toolbox out, so I need to bring the right tools the first time.

Can someone provide a list of what I might need to bring for the removal and any ideas of unexpected problem tools that might come in handy?

Thanks,

John

T-47 Torx socket for lug bolts

T-45 Torx socket for the muffler bracket

15mm open or closed end wrench for the muffler bolt

Ratchet wrench for the sockets

Flashlight

Now go rescue that RT (that is the stranded bike, right?)

Be safe!

Jay

I don't have either of the bikes listed in your profile so I'm no help, but if you posted model/year of the stranded bike you'd probably get better answers.

Glad you didn't go down from sudden a deflation - good luck getting it fixed.

josh

Yes, it's stranded. I'm hoping the tire can be repaired. The dealer where I got it is closed tomorrow, and if it can't be repaired, I think I'll have to leave it until Tuesday while I wait for the dealer to open. I went back tonight and put a lock on the front rotor and took the side cases off.

Get a"gooey rope"type tire repair kit at Walmart,any auto parts store,any truck stop.Get a battery operated airpump,Slime make a"powersports inflator"that is reasonable for on bike use.

Go back to bike with portable air compressor and this repair kit and some soapy water in a spray bottle,also bring work gloves and some type of pliers to pull out the nail/screw that is likely the leak cause..

Find the leak,should be obvious with that sudden loss,but use the soapy water if necessary to locate the leak.

Pull out the offending nail or screw and repair tire using the repair kit and refill tire,then ride the bike back home.

This is a 15 minute job,even if you have to stop and read the directions.

Carry the repair kit and the inflator with you in future,so you wont be stranded.

Lots of folks have ridden the life of the tire with this repair,others choose to replace tire right away,it's your choice.

A good permanent alternate repair is what is known as a patch/plug,this is installed from inside the tire and requires

tire to be dismounted from wheel.Do this after you get bike safely home.

General rule is that if the hole is beyond the middle third to half of the tread,then tire should be replaced.

JR356

I had a flat this last summer. I was lucky that my TPMS warmed me and I was able to turn around and get back to a small city. It was Sunday so the only place open was Canadian Tire. I had to buy some Slime and a Slime pump. It sealed the tire and I was able to get home.

That week I bought the Stop and Go Pocket repair kit. I carry the kit and the Slime pump with me all the time. I think it is a worthwhile purchase.

http://www.stopngo.com/motorcycle.asp

I could see the hole pretty easily; it was also easy to hear. It's in the very center of the tire.

Is it going to be a big deal to try to fix it myself with the tires only being 3 days old? I was afraid of doing something that might void the road hazard warranty I just got with the new tires. I was thinking it might just need the plug, but don't want to have the dealer say I damaged it further.

What do you think?

I carry the kit and the Slime pump with me all the time. I think it is a worthwhile purchase.

This is the ticket!

Walmart has/had a nice "slime" brand complete kit with a nice 12Volt airpump. It had the reamer tool, plug installer , 4 strip tire plug and rubber cement, all in one nice pouch.

That is what I have in the rear fender storage.

I'd be very wary of the Slime brand repair kit. I have a repair kit supplied by a local four wheel drive stockist which I use around the property for repairs to mower and tractor tyres.

Given the nature of the property, these repairs are frequent and I always found held up very well. Problem came when the original plugs ran out and I restocked from another supplier with the Slime ones; damned useless things leaked air through the plug, so not of great value as a tyre repair device.

Threw the Slime ones away and restocked from the original supplier and had no problems since. It could of course have been a faulty batch only, but it certainly eroded any faith I might have held in Slime.

I could see the hole pretty easily; it was also easy to hear. It's in the very center of the tire.

Is it going to be a big deal to try to fix it myself with the tires only being 3 days old? I was afraid of doing something that might void the road hazard warranty I just got with the new tires. I was thinking it might just need the plug, but don't want to have the dealer say I damaged it further.

What do you think?

If that's the case go with JR356's recommendation. Using sticky rope, more than half the time is spent finding the hole. It should hold for a long ride, and in worst case will get you to a shop.

You'll need to check with the shop regarding their road damage warranty. If that includes a tow, then just have them take the bike.

I've fixed flats with sticky string, and then had it professionally repaired with no questions or issues from the shop. Still riding on one now. Note: This did not involve any road repair warranty.

It looks like the bike is staying where it is for now. BMW is closed and Woods Family Fun Center and the Harley shops say tire plugging is too complicated. The guy at Round Rock Harley Davidson said he wouldn't even take a BMW in, they only "service" Harleys. My regular place is closed until tomorrow.

Does anyone know if a tire repair place in Austin, so I can at least get the thing looked at?

I didn't expect this to be over the competency level of so many dealerships. I guess they all just want to sell tires are leave the service to other places.

Thanks,

John

Maybe this is a dumb question but if you can see and hear the hole, why can't you just plug it where it sits and inflate the tire? Isn't that why we carry plug kits and inflaters?

I am in town all day today. You can bring me the tire and I can fix it or I can ride out and fix it on the bike.

Just need to know where it is.

I recommend AMA roadside assistance. I think my AMA membership is around $40 a year and their roadside assistance is great (comes for free). I had to use it for a jump, and they towed my friends Ducati to a nearby dealer for repair. They contract with MC specific towing trucks and the people that come out to jump a dead battery bring the correct 12V battery.

They will also tow your cars and give you assistance if you are on a bicycle (which I ride a lot).

This service may save you from working on the side of the road.

Just my $.02

Are you sure the lugs are a 47? I believe it's a 50 (I know I use a 50 for lugs and a 45 for muffler.

Definitely T50!!!

A simple rule for all things Torx. When you find the size you think is correct, always go to the next one up to be sure you are correct. A T47 will engage the teeth of a T50 but will strip through once torque is applied.

Also, clean and dry threads Do not grease or Loctite them.

Thanks again, but I got a tow scheduled for tomorrow.

I'm just too scared about losing the warranty on a brand new tire to fix it. It cost me 500.00 for new tires last Thursday and I don't really want to find out I messed something up if I fix it. I at least want to talk to the shop and since they are closed, all I can do is wait.

It should be fine. I drove by it 3-4 times in the past 24 hours.

Thanks again,

John

Ok John.

If you change your mind let me know. I am out of town tomorrow.

I have a tire changer here at home and a spare (used) rear tire you may have if you decide you want to get it back in the barn tonight.

You are braver than I as I could never leave my bike.

Good Luck

Terry

Yup,$$$$ bike versus few hundred for tire!

Tell them you HAD to plug it as it was in dangerous area and

could not be left until shop opened and you could not get anyone else to fix it.

See if Limecreek is still around to help,it really is a quick job!

JR356

Are you sure the lugs are a 47? I believe it's a 50 (I know I use a 50 for lugs and a 45 for muffler.

Definitely T50!!!

You're right. I went out to the garage to check the sizes and the T-47 seemed to fit snuggly. I was in a hurry to get back to the OP and neglected to check the next size up. My mistake.

Jay

Maybe this is a dumb question but if you can see and hear the hole, why can't you just plug it where it sits and inflate the tire? Isn't that why we carry plug kits and inflaters?

+1. I don't get what the fuss and panic is all about. It's a tire, not rocket science. If it's a hole (and not a tear), get a $5 plug kit from Walmart or an auto store, plug it per instructions on packaging, fill up with air and drive off. Drive it to your dealer tomorrow for hazard warranty. Take before and after photos if it makes you comfortable.

I'm still laughing that you paid $500 for tires. :rofl::eek:

P.S. I've plugged my Viper's tire and tracked it @130mph. The tire is still in use 5 years later.

Don_Eilenberger

I question what tire it is.. the only motorcycle tires I know of with a road-hazard warranty is Avon.. everyone else - if you get a flat pulling out of the dealership it's your problem, not the manufacturer's.

[

I'm still laughing that you paid $500 for tires. :rofl::eek:

The extra $250 was for the wty. Would have cost less to buy 2 extra tires.

In response to:

Poster: terryofperry

Subject: Re: Bike sitting on interstate feeder road

You are braver than I as I could never leave my bike.

Good Luck

Terry

+1

Joe Frickin' Friday
plug it....it's not that hard. can a plug void a warranty?

It's conceivable it could void the road-hazard warranty on a tire, but not the entire bike. That means the worst you're out is the cost of a single tire, and that's only if it gets irretrievably mauled sometime in the next few thousand miles (and just for example, if it gets mauled during the last 10% of its useful life, then you've only lost 10% of the value of your tires, i.e. $50).

For certainty, it's best to read the fine print of the warranty itself; this will tell you exactly what will and won't void the warranty.

As Marty says, $500 for tires is an awful lot for the comfort of a road-hazard warranty. That would have cost me an extra $4500 for tires over the life of my 1100RT. Granted, I bought tires over the internet and installed them myself. How much do dealer-installed tires cost without the RH warranty? $400? If so, then the warranty is costing $100. And if the warranty is from the tire manufacturer, then I expect you'll still be paying the dealer for labor to install the replacement tires.

All in all, the warranty seems like a bad deal. It's expensive insurance against a very rare contingency (i.e. a tire so badly mauled by road debris that it can't be plugged), and it's compelled you to abandon your bike by the side of the road for a couple of days at significant risk to the bike and inconvenience to you.

Moreover, if you were on a touring vacation, this road hazard warranty would have you losing a couple of days of precious time off of work, and possibly missing whatever event you were enroute to.

I have done plug repairs on countless car tires, and a handful of motorcycle tires over the course of several years, and I have had zero issues with the plugs and/or tires failing. Zero. For that matter I don't even personally know anyone who had a plug fail.

The only time I ever had a problem with a plug was when I fixed a tire in the cold freezing rain and I also had bad cement. Even then the plug held, it just had an annoying slow leak. When the weather dried up, warmed up, and I got some better cement, I replaced it and that repair lasted the life of the tire.

I have done plug repairs on countless car tires, and a handful of motorcycle tires over the course of several years, and I have had zero issues with the plugs and/or tires failing. Zero. For that matter I don't even personally know anyone who had a plug fail.

+1. I've done at least a dozen plugs on bikes and cars (probably more). Always with the sticky rope. I've NEVER had a plug fail after I've installed it. Personally I would plug the tire rather than risk my bike sitting along the side of the road. Overall easy to do.

Also, I would STRONGLY encourage you to carry a pump/plug kit. What would happen if you were 200 miles in the middle of nowhere utah? While you can't prepare for every failure, a flat tire is a pretty common one.

I question what tire it is.. the only motorcycle tires I know of with a road-hazard warranty is Avon.. everyone else - if you get a flat pulling out of the dealership it's your problem, not the manufacturer's.

Wow, I had no idea my Storm IIs had a road hazard warrantee. Wonder how that works.

Don_Eilenberger

Wow, I had no idea my Storm IIs had a road hazard warrantee. Wonder how that works.

If you can still read the writing on the tread area - it's covered by Avon for road-hazard. Once the writing is gone - you're on your own. AFAIK - they are the only brand offering any sort of road-hazard warranty as standard.

Archived