IGNORED

Blu ray question

taters

If this source of your signal is streamed from Netflix, then you are not watching a "blu ray movie." The quality of the content streamed from Netflix varies greatly. If the description on Netflix explicitly says it is streamed in HD, then the quality is high, but I don't think it's as high-rez as what you are getting from a blu ray disc. It's not a big enough difference to bother me. A lot of the content on Netflix streaming is standard resolution, and I find it unacceptable on my HD television. On my iPad or laptop it's fine.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

No.

In fact HD from your cable or satellite provider isn't as good as blu-ray either. Netflix rated below both of those sources in some quality survey I read recently (but can't recall the source of...)

It's not even remotely close. It is true Netflix streams vary greatly, and only HD streams are "acceptable" at best on an HDTV. There is no comparison whatsoever to the quality of a stream from Netflix vs. a Blu Ray.

I was shocked to read in Consumer Reports that Netflix only has about 15k movies for streaming vs. Amazon's 70k. I always though Netflix was the market leader, but apparently not.

-MKL

Last I heard, Netflix only mails BluRay content. I think you would need an uninterrupted 40Mb/s feed to stream BR.

DirecTV does allow you to cache 1080P VOD content to the hard drive, but there is an expiration date and you generally have to subscribe to the source channel.

This is incorrect. You pay a little extra and can have access to their BR discs, but most titles thus far are not BR format (standard DVD).

-MKL

Ahh, I misunderstood you. I thought you meant they mailed Blu Ray only (as opposed to DVD) vs. mailed Blu Ray (as opposed to streaming it). Got it - you're right. Sorry 'bout that.

-MKL

Archived