IGNORED

Quantifying Speedo Difference for Tire Differences

moshe_levy

All-

I recently replaced my car's OWM 195/55-16 tires with more readily available and much less expensive 205/55-16 models. I know tis has some extremely small impact on the accuracy of my speedo / odo. I was wondering if someone out there knows how to accurately compute exactly what this difference would be. I'm not sure of the formula to use and math ain't my thang.

-MKL

It is quite simple if you know what the numbers mean. The "16" is the diameter of the wheel in inches. The "195" is the width of the tire in millimeters - I know it does not make sense. The "55" means the percentage of the height of the tire in relation of the width. So the total height of the tire is: radius (1/2 of diameter) of the wheel 8" = 203.2 mm, height of the tire is 195x.55 = 107.25 mm, total height = 203.2 + 107.25 = 310.45 mm. Changing to a tire 205/55x16 adds 10 mm to the width and 10x.55 = 5.5 mm to the height. So the total height changes from 310.45 mm to 315.95 mm. That is a increase of 1.77% in size, = nothing. You get much more difference between a new and used tire, or brand of tires.

I know I gave details most of you know, but I wanted to make it clear just in case.

Hi Paul-

Yes, I knew thee basic numbers. I just wanted a saninty check that this ~1.77% difference is a direct +1.77% translation to the speedo / odo reading. You think that's the case?

-MKL

Hi Paul-

Yes, I knew thee basic numbers. I just wanted a saninty check that this ~1.77% difference is a direct +1.77% translation to the speedo / odo reading. You think that's the case?

-MKL

That is the case, and I consider it insignificant. You don't worry what you speedo difference is between a new and worn tire... A worn 205 will be smaller than a new 195...

Archived