IGNORED

Cheap BMW Riders

Rob L

I don't mean to accuse or upset anyone ;) I know that most of you spend lots of cash on your bikes and yourselves. It's good for the economy :thumbsup: I also realize that you are usually happy to find a bargain :grin: Where am I going? I think that I found a bargain and want to pass it on to you :) Those of you that think a bargain is a problem, please feel free to move on :wave:

Last week I was doing maintenance on the RT and noticed that the spark plugs were a little dingy. They were black! They were the original Bosch plugs and I felt guilty when I reinserted them. The bike only has 27k miles. I came here as I always do when I feel guilty and found that NGK has a better mousetrap....spark plug (NGK SPARK PLUG DCPR8EKP 7415). Feeling guilty, but in keeping with my true nature, I looked for the cheapest....least expensive source for new plugs. Turns out Amazon has a seller called Riders Needs that carried the plugs at a price of $9.32. This was the cheapest, uh least expensive seller that I found.

I have also spent several sleepless nights worrying about my battery :cry: Will it make it through another season :S 5 year old batteries have failed in the past, but this one still seems strong. Should I take a chance and risk being stranded while on a trip :P This happened in 2001 while I was staying at a motel in northern California. My 1998 RT would not turn over in the morning. I ended up borrowing car jumper cables from a maid and coaxed an LT rider into jump starting the bike. Not a small feat with the old RT. The battery was buried under the gas tank and I had to use a screwdriver to reach the positive terminal. The battery on the 2006 is much easier to access and I now carry a homemade set of jumper cables. But still..........????

I'd made up my mind(big deal!) Time for a replacement. I came here. Holy cr@# :P These new batteries must be made from pure gold! Top of the line seems to be the Shorai. $180!! You've gotta be kidding?? Next in line is the Odyssey and the Westco. Still, $120-140. No WAY!! The alternative is old school lead acid like they sell at Wally World. I don't have time to keep an eye on the level in a battery, and besides, have you seen what they do to a bike's finish when they puke acid :cry: There's got to be an alternative! I spent hours on Sunday (15 minutes)looking. Here is what I came up with.

http://www.staabbattery.com/product/sla-12/UB12220-V.html

The company is called Staab Battery Mfg. Co. This is a sealed fiberglass mat battery that can be installed in any position. GET THIS $45.30 :clap: That's better than Wally World! I ordered one. Shipping was reasonable ($11.94) and the battery showed up on my back porch on Tuesday.....2 days! This battery is not fancy looking, in fact, it says Universal Battery on the black case. The terminals are in the right place for easy installation and the dimensions, like all of the other replacements is perfect except it is about 3/16" shorter. The Westco and Odyssey that I purchased for past bikes were also shorter. Easy to resolve by cutting a paint mixing stick to shim the top under the hold down clamp. I also drilled the holes a tad in the terminal posts so that I could use my original size bolts. THAT"S IT!! No other modifications and the bike actually runs. The hardest part will be trying to reset the clock. That usually takes an hour. 55 minutes of pushing buttons, 4 minutes reading the manual, 15 seconds to set the clock. The other 45 seconds are frustrating exclamations which I will not repeat.

There you go! Cheap alternatives. Good luck!

Rob

I am with you ROb,

I also try to spring for less expensive but compatible products.

There has been topics here on battery and spark plugs.

A car-BMW M3 uses the same iridium plugs that is recommended for RT. Autozone parts store as well as Amazon carries it.

batteries: someone here recommended and Emergency light system backup sealed gel battery. It is the same size but 1/4 or so shorter than stock. Many people used it with success.

The univeral battery has been dicussed several times. I believe the model for the 1200Rt is the UB 1222. I put one in my 05 when I had it and it cost me 45 bucks form a lcoal dealer. More CCA and amp hours than the BMW battery for a fraction of the price. The bike started alot easier as well. You do need to make a shim for it to fit becasu its not quite as tall as the OEM unit.

Rob, the NGK you mentioned is actually the plug recommended by NGK's tech guys for the Hexhead. I've been using them for more than 40,000 miles. I get 'em from Amazon, but the trick to local purchase is to use the "7415" part number designation rather than the longer number...at places like Autozone....

From an other, earlier sprakplug tread:

Spark Plugs

NGK DCPR8EKC

Bosch YR5LDE

Denso DCPR7EIX (IXU22) single electrode Iridium

Denso DCPR8EIX (IXU24) single electrode Iridium

Denso DCPR8EKC double electrode

-----------------------

This is what I use.

This is a single electrode plug.

NGK DCPR8EIX = to the denso,

single electrode iridium.

Available on amazon

or at your local Autozone parts store for $7.99

These spark plugs also for the BMW M3 6 cylinder car as well.

Autozone knows these plugs as part #6546

Gap for the BMW r1200rt is .8mm ( metric, since we have a Euro bike. )

KUDOS to staab batteries! Battery was ordered 2220hrs on 13FEB11. According to UPS it was just delivered to my house at 1000hrs 15FEB11. This is outstanding service in my opinion. Now all I have to do is install it. This will be my first adventure removing the tupperware from my R1100RT, so wish me luck!!

There's nothing whatsoever wrong with being "cheap". IMHO, this is simply being smart.

As long as the item you are buying is of good quality and meets all requirements, then paying a penny more than absolutely necessary is just plain foolish.

I do know however, that there are SOME individuals out there ( YOU know who you are) that MUST have ONLY the most expensive item available because it's COOL to spend more.

The old adage that you get what you pay for is sooo passe as to be embarrassing.

In response to:

Poster: BerndM

Subject: Re: Cheap BMW Riders

There's nothing whatsoever wrong with being "cheap". IMHO, this is simply being smart.

As long as the item you are buying is of good quality and meets all requirements, then paying a penny more than absolutely necessary is just plain foolish.

I do know however, that there are SOME individuals out there ( YOU know who you are) that MUST have ONLY the most expensive item available because it's COOL to spend more.

The old adage that you get what you pay for is sooo passe as to be embarrassing.

+1

In response to:

+1

Glad its not just me. Get quality but shop for the price. Then spend the leftover on gas.

In response to:

+1

Glad its not just me. Get quality but shop for the price. Then spend the leftover on gas.

I don't feel so lonely anymore... :grin:

It is NOT JUST CHEAP. I have long felt that every person needs to have some understanding of, and skills in, technical areas. In fact, I think that otherwise you are not a complete person. My father was a great guy but he could not do anything mechanical. While he never said anything I could see he was always uncertain or embarassed when mechanical matters came up. I know he was cheated numerous times in these matters. I know I caused him great concern when I took things apart. Even though I got all but the binoculars working again he still did not like it. At age 68 he signed up for classes at a technical school and learned what he should have learned in high school. It changed his life for the better as he freely admitted the rest of his life. It saved him money and made him a better person. War Hero, Officer, Gentleman, and technically competent.

I look for value in everything that I buy. I do as much of my own work as I can. I'm a dedicated DIY guy.

I am lucky to have a father that taught me how to take things apart. In fact, he brought discarded machinery home from work for me to play with. Those were my toys.

Thanks to him, I am able to enjoy a higher standard of living than what I could reasonably afford if I was paying someone else to do the work for me. Not to say that I won't pay someone to do something that I don't want to tackle myself. But I do try to keep that to a minimum.

There's two kinds of people who take apart watches.

As far as paying more for some things, I think of it as voting with my wallet. Is it worth the extra donation to keep these people in business? Local dealer, often I answer yes. At least, I always give them a shot at my money. Gas prices; I've been known to go ten miles out of my way to save five cents a gallon on a five gallon tankful.

----

On the other hand; to quote Click and Clack (The Tappet Bros) "It's the stingy man who pays the most". I won't pay for an OEM oil filter, or oil , for that matter. But mechanical stuff? Bearings and such, I say stick with the Huns.

Also, I'm running an Interstate Battery. No prob.

This will be my first adventure removing the tupperware from my R1100RT, so wish me luck!!

Get used to it brother..... :thumbsup: .....it's a continuous dance! :rofl:

Sometimes I wonder if it has been a blessing or a curse to have been raised by a shade tree mechanic. My father would repair most anything and do all of his own auto maintenance. He instilled in me the often mistaken notion that I could fix anything.

Over the years I have replaced many serviceable parts in the process of finding the real problem. As I enter my 60th year I still have to ask myself if I should try to work on my autos or simply pay someone who really knows what they are doing and spend the time doing what I do to earn the money to pay them. I am almost always ahead if I let the expert do the work.

Now when it comes to motorcycles I cannot make that decision so readily. I find I have a different relationship with my bike than with my car. I enjoy servicing by bike and learning to maintain it properly. I get a great deal of satisfaction while riding in the knowledge that the work was done correctly, that the smooth running was the reward for my efforts.

My time in the garage with my bike extends the time I am able to enjoy owning it. I am certain I would still be financially better off if I spent that time in my office and took the bike to a shop. The decision is easy, I spend too much time in the office as it is!

Now, where can I get the best price on spengler brake lines???

Ewell

Sometimes I wonder if it has been a blessing or a curse to have been raised by a shade tree mechanic. My father would repair most anything and do all of his own auto maintenance. He instilled in me the often mistaken notion that I could fix anything.

Over the years I have replaced many serviceable parts in the process of finding the real problem. As I enter my 60th year I still have to ask myself if I should try to work on my autos or simply pay someone who really knows what they are doing and spend the time doing what I do to earn the money to pay them. I am almost always ahead if I let the expert do the work.

Now when it comes to motorcycles I cannot make that decision so readily. I find I have a different relationship with my bike than with my car. I enjoy servicing by bike and learning to maintain it properly. I get a great deal of satisfaction while riding in the knowledge that the work was done correctly, that the smooth running was the reward for my efforts.

My time in the garage with my bike extends the time I am able to enjoy owning it. I am certain I would still be financially better off if I spent that time in my office and took the bike to a shop. The decision is easy, I spend too much time in the office as it is!

Now, where can I get the best price on spengler brake lines???

Ewell

This is the reason I purcased the RT.A long time ago I was a GM mechanic.Back then you could climb in with the engine and work on it,heck the straight six engined Impalas and trucks you could stand up inside the engine compartment while working on the engine.Anyway,seeing the simple design of the boxer engine sold me on moving over to BMW.This past weekend I did a valve/rocker arm adj.,synced the TBs,and replaced the alt.belt.Would I have tried this on the Japanese bikes I used to have...NOT LIKELY.I will still change plugs,air filters,carbon filters on the cars but it is getting harder to find the plugs with all the plastic covering everything.

Archived