IGNORED

Iphone question

Gkgeiger

I just got my new Iphone 4 Verizon phone. I'm replacing a Blackberry Storm. I can't figure out how to do an auto on/off like I did on my BB. Can this be done and how? Thanks in advance,

if what you want is the screen to go off, go to settings>general>autolock

No, what I want is for the phone to turn on at 6:00am and off at 10:00pm. My BB would do that, I could chose the time to turn on and off automatically.

Got mine on Monday, to replace a BB 8830, and have the same irritation. My Googling indicates that the area of the software that controls this function is off limits to app developers without jailbreaking the phone. My workaround for the time being is to turn on Airplane Mode when I go to bed, and turn that off when I wake up. Sure would be nice to have it automated the way my BB was. But, in the vast majority of ways, this device is SO much better than my BB. Like night and day.

Dave McReynolds

I might be sorry for asking this question, because after I know the answer, I might want it too, whereas now I just sail along in blissful ignorance, but what is the reason people want auto on/off?

I just purchased my first smart phone, an Iphone 4, and am just figuring out how to use all the features.

Is the reason you want the auto on/off so you don't get bothered by calls/messages between 10-6? If so, couldn't you just put the phone on silent mode at night?

In silent mode, everything is silenced, including any alarms or alerts. The screen will light up, and the phone will vibrate, but there will be no sound. I use the alarm clock feature daily, so silent mode is not an option.

I don't understand why you'd want it to turn off and on? What need are you trying to meet? Honestly interested.

My iPhone is never turned off. If I need it silent, I flip the switch.

Perhaps the fact that my mobile is now my only phone is a significant difference. I wouldn't want to miss an important call at night, etc.

Let us know how / why you used auto off/on on your BB.

I don't understand why you'd want it to turn off and on? What need are you trying to meet? Honestly interested.

My iPhone is never turned off. If I need it silent, I flip the switch.

Perhaps the fact that my mobile is now my only phone is a significant difference. I wouldn't want to miss an important call at night, etc.

Let us know how / why you used auto off/on on your BB.

Well, my cell is not my only phone and I don't want any calls at night. Any calls I might get after 10pm can wait till morning. So why waste the battery. I wasn't looking to debate. I now have the answer I was looking for. Thanks again.

Its never been a problem for me. My work calls are all forwarded to my iphone, and its also my only phone. Pretty much if it rings after 10 pm, its an emergency I need to deal with anyway.

I wasn't looking to debate. I now have the answer I was looking for. Thanks again.

Sorry if I gave that impression. Wasn't my intent. Just curious really. The iPhone battery lasts such a long time that I never think to turn mine off. Just set it on the charging dock every couple of days. I can see that if it isn't your only phone it would be nice to have it auto power down at night and then not have to think about turning it back on during business hours.

In silent mode, everything is silenced, including any alarms or alerts. The screen will light up, and the phone will vibrate, but there will be no sound. I use the alarm clock feature daily, so silent mode is not an option.

Nope, give it a try. I'll bet you find otherwise. The alarm will always sound no matter what the iPhone is set to (On, Off, Airplane mode, Silent).......doesn't matter. At least thats how it works on our ATT iPhones. I have an alarm set for 5:00am Mon-Fri. I never worry about how my phone is set when I go to bed. I just plug it into the wall and chuck it on the nightstand. It goes off every morning, just like it is supposed to.

Nope, give it a try. I'll bet you find otherwise. The alarm will always sound no matter what the iPhone is set to (On, Off, Airplane mode, Silent).......doesn't matter. At least thats how it works on our ATT iPhones. I have an alarm set for 5:00am Mon-Fri. I never worry about how my phone is set when I go to bed. I just plug it into the wall and chuck it on the nightstand. It goes off every morning, just like it is supposed to.

I stand corrected. Thanks, Linz, Tom and Keith. :thumbsup:

On Scott's question: My cell is my only phone. Regardless, I draw my line for the interruptions I'm willing to abide pretty conservatively. The only late-night situations I intend to respond to are my wife waking me up for something, or my fire department pager. I work often with people whose work/life balances don't match mine, so I get email through the night that I'd rather not think about checking until morning (OTOH I'm driven just enough to want to check if I know something is there). Age is robbing me of the ability to sleep through anything like I once could, so the silence is golden. And even with decent battery life, I'd rather save a few watts. In the off chance that I'd want to make an exception to any of this, I could disable the auto-off feature, but for the other 99% of the time, I'd rather have it.

Dave McReynolds

If I get any irritating phone calls, they always come on my home phone.

It could be that we should appreciate that while it lasts. I've noticed an increase in spam phone calls on my cell phone over the last year or so. From zero a couple of years ago to maybe 1 a month now.

I'm kind of annoyed that certain applications, like Pandora or some other streaming music apps, and alarm alerts override the hardware silent switch on the 4G. I want the hardware switch to be just that - silence under all conditions.

The other annoying thing is I can't find a way to turn text alerts off. If I'm with girl X, I do NOT want "Text Message from girl Y" to flash on my screen!

Hey, speaking of iPhone questions, does anyone know how to send text messages to Europe? I do a lot of business in Germany, and so far we're unable to SMS one another. Supposedly "number@smsmail.eplus.de" is supposed to work, but it fails every time. And since I'm on Verizon, my German contact should be able to message me at "number@vtext.com," but it never works for him.

Hey, speaking of iPhone questions, does anyone know how to send text messages to Europe? I do a lot of business in Germany, and so far we're unable to SMS one another. Supposedly "number@smsmail.eplus.de" is supposed to work, but it fails every time. And since I'm on Verizon, my German contact should be able to message me at "number@vtext.com," but it never works for him.

I think those are the email-to-SMS gateways.

For direct SMS sending, have you tried this?

I think those are the email-to-SMS gateways.

For direct SMS sending, have you tried this?

Yeah, that's what I tried first, but it didn't work. Do you know if number formatting makes a difference? I tried it with the '+49' (entering the actual plus sign) but it still failed.

Its never been a problem for me. My work calls are all forwarded to my iphone, and its also my only phone. Pretty much if it rings after 10 pm, its an emergency I need to deal with anyway.

Yeah yeah! Booty call!

There's a free app called Text + that I think will enable you to send to anyone anywhere. Both of you will have to get the app if you both want to initiate the texting session. Otherwise you can just keep it open. They give you a free phone number that the text is associated with. If you want a special number you have to pay.

Archived