IGNORED

08 R1200RT Wiring question

hhrcar

So I am trying to find switched 12 Volts to hook up a GPS. I have removed the instrument cover and found a 2 wire Tyco connector just in front of the Speedo, it was strapped to the fairing mount. This has a Tan wire and a Green/White in it. Any idea what it is for? I also have access to the accesory outlet wires.

I have heard talk of there being a connector for gps hook up already in the harness, any idea where?

Thanks for the help.

So I am trying to find switched 12 Volts to hook up a GPS. I have removed the instrument cover and found a 2 wire Tyco connector just in front of the Speedo, it was strapped to the fairing mount.

It sounds like you found the connector for a GPS. It is switched and works quite nicely. I used it for a Nav II and now a Zumo 550 on my own RT. You may need to purchase an adaptor to use it.

Jay

AdirondackJack

Yes. The reason you want to use this wire is that it is keyed to the ignition, and very conveniently turns off with the ignition key. Well. . . . . .actually about a minute after you turn off your key (there is an intentional 1 minute lag from the canbus before it becomes de-powered). This wire is perfect for you to use as the trigger wire for your aftermarket fuse box and relays for all your accessory farkles. You should plan on wiring the GPS to that relay-driven fuse box. One of the best options in the industry is the Eastern Beaver fuse box. You can find it here:

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Products/Fuseboxes/fuseboxes.html

The hookup you have found is probably not the gps plug. The gps plugs I have seen have three wires going to them not two. The one you found may be for the second horn that use to come on the RT. Try metering the wires while pushing the horn button. The GPS plug should be in the same area unless they moved it. It may be covered up with tape. The brown wire is ground the green & white is a triggered hot wire.

I also have a 2008 R1200RT and would like to hook up a GPS. Most of the instructions on this topic are complete chinese to me. The installation instructions on EasternBeaver might as well be nuclear physics.

Anyone know of simple instructions for a complete novice?

AdirondackJack

Come to think of it. . . . . .the GPS wire is typically zip-tied behind the steering post up under the front of the fairing and (as I remember) it does have a plastic plug-end which you may decide to cut off. Not sure if this helps. . . . . .

Thanks for all of the help so far. Yes the 2 wire tan/green- white is a second horn wire.

I did find the 3 wire plug tywrapped under the fairing mount just in front of the steering post. It looks like the tan wire is ground and the red/white is switched positive.

Steve A I am taking pictures so if you want to see where things are PM me.

I'm going to go against the grain here and say it is better to wire to unswitched power. My 550 takes more than a few minutes to fire up and load maps (probably because I also have a few hundred tunes on the card). I would much rather it stay on for short stops so I don't have to wait for it to start up again.

I always take it off the bike when I get home or to my destination. What's the worst that can happen? If you forget to take it off it would take a long, long time for the small amount of power it draws to drain the battery.

Bill

07 RT

09 KLR

I would much rather it stay on for short stops so I don't have to wait for it to start up again.

If you forget to take it off it would take a long, long time for the small amount of power it draws to drain the battery.

If you want it to stay on for short stops that is easy... when the CANBUS powers down you just touch the screen where it asks you if you want to continue on battery power...

Forget to take it off?.. with switched power it turns off after about 30 seconds anyway.

malcolmblalock

I have a Streetpilot 2720 on my 09RT (and formerly on a Vstrom and an 05RT). Initially, I had it wired to power down when the key was turned off. After a while, I decided that the little bit of energy I was saving by having it to turn off with the key was miniscule compared with the wait to power up again when the bike was started. I've left it on for over a week and no riding with no problem starting the bike.

My point?? The devices use very little power, so wire it the way it works best for you.

Archived