IGNORED

Another grip question

mrduck

I just came back from the local Cycle Gear store....

I asked the young hottie behind the counter about grips for my BMW, she flips through a book, never asks what model, then says "come back here let me show you what I've got!" :eek:

Sold me a set of standard 7/8ths bar size street bike grips.

I have no problem cutting off the old rubber grip as it's half torn up. But before I start, thought I'd better ask here first, don't wanna tear things up to find out this ain't gonna work

04 RT

Don J :wave:

CoarsegoldKid

I would say you are good to go. Start cutting. If you have bar ends you can remove then you can measure the bar diameter just to be sure. My Ducati has 1-1/8 inch bars but taper to 7/8 at the grip. Harley may be different though.

'morning Joe

I've been doing some measuring on the bars, looks like the throttle one will fit-1 inch- may have to go back to Cycle Gear for a second set and just use the big one..

These are for the sportbikes, they didn't have any ones with chrome skulls that would work :rofl:

Cylindrical grips are just one more example of moronic ergonomics often found on bikes.

Wrap rubberized cork elliptical cross-section bicycle handlebar tape into the size and shape that agrees with your hand.*

Ben

*If your grip is about 1.5 inches in diameter and cylindrical, use the ordinary grips.

I just came back from the local Cycle Gear store....

I asked the young hottie behind the counter about grips for my BMW, she flips through a book, never asks what model, then says "come back here let me show you what I've got!" :eek:

Sold me a set of standard 7/8ths bar size street bike grips.

I have no problem cutting off the old rubber grip as it's half torn up. But before I start, thought I'd better ask here first, don't wanna tear things up to find out this ain't gonna work

04 RT

Morning Don

Yes, you will need two throttle side grips (if you bike has heated grips).

If your bike has heated grips--Be VERY/VERY careful when cutting the original grips off the bars as they are glued to the heating elements underneath. Even if very careful and you work slowly/carefully you will more than likely pull some of the grip heating element coating off the heaters (slowly roll the original rubber back over itself while carefully cutting with a sharp utility knife or razor blade) . Make sure the heaters are working and the wires are in place and glued down before installing the new outer rubber grips.

They make a special grip glue if you want to look for that. Personally I use a heavy duty MotorCross grip glue on my off-road bikes to positively keep the grips in place but on my street bikes I just use my wife’s hair spray as that seems to work OK for street usage.

I just saw this. I have been using tennis racket grip tape. works pretty good. Go ask the hottie at cycle gear if they sell the stuff. Sporting goods store or walmart should have the stuff also.

It's a hell of a lot easier to slip some foam sleeves over your old grips and more comfortable also.

That's what I did, Grip Puppys work great and make my hands more comfortable on a long ride

Interesting on the different views on this. I put on Grip Puppies a couple of years ago, and within a few days, both my forearms were sore/cramping. I took the Grip Pups off, and that handled the pain. I now use tennis grip strips----very comfortable and can tailor them to your grip.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't heard the hairspray trick in years. The best hairspray is the cheapest stuff you can find. The cheap stuff is basically spray lacquer so once it dries the grips won't be going anywhere. Before grip glue that's what we used in dirt bikes in the 70s. Another option is 3M 08011 (Black) or 08001 (Yellow) Super Weatherstrip adhesive. Be sure to follow the directions and you grips will stay on through a nuclear explosion.

Another option is 3M 08011 (Black) or 08001 (Yellow) Super Weatherstrip adhesive. Be sure to follow the directions and you grips will stay on through a nuclear explosion.

Welcome to the forum, I had a quick look at your profile to see where you pass times were(because your avatar looked interesting), anyway, you haven't filled it out, so that didn't help!

On to my point, I would be cautious of using anything to powerful because the grips will need to come off again when they wear out, so if you have heated grips and too powerful an adhesive, then the element will be destroyed.

Andy

I bought the grip puppies and they made the grips too large for my hands. Didn't like them and took them off. Also tried tennis racket tape and that also made them too large for my liking. What I am looking for is a very thin neoprene cover. I'll probably go with replacing the grips with ones from Pro Grip and do the very careful removal around the heaters.

In that case, why not just replace them with the stock BMW ones?

Andy

Agreed, it takes longer to read this thread than it does to replace the things. Hardest part is ordering them from the dealer.

Try this fohttp://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_9990000083808211P?vName=Fitness%20&%20Sports&cName=RacquetSports&sName=Racquetball%20Balls%20&%20Access&sid=KDx20070926x00003a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=9990000083808211Pr simple

Archived