IGNORED

Odd Stalling

kmac

My '96 R1100RT with 18k on it has been running fantastic aside from the clutch slipping, which I have learned to deal with until I can afford a new one.

But on my last few rides while approaching a stop light and letting off of the throttle then pulling in the clutch the motor just dies and then is very hard to restart. It cranks and cranks and cranks then finally starts. Once it starts it sounds like it is loaded up and takes a second to rev up and clear out.

Once it did it while just sitting at a light idling. It doesn't do it all of the time, just like once per ride and after the engine is fully warm and the choke is off.

It idles smooth other wise, and runs good thru all of the gears.

Any Ideas on what it could be? Similar experiences? Vacuum leak?

Afternoon kmac

Assuming it has just showed up maybe just a tank-full of bad gasoline. Maybe a little water or very high alcohol content.

Try riding the existing tank almost dry then re-fill with clean new fuel. If your problem goes away you have more than likely identified the problem.

If it isn’t a tainted gasoline problem then a couple of thoughts;

1st), would be an 02 sensor going bad (it happens), maybe try riding with the CCP removed or the 02 disconnected as a quick test.

Next), if you have a fuel controller on that bike like a Techlusion try disconnecting that. The early Techlusion units could act like you are seeing if they get any moisture in them.

Otherwise you just need to go over all the system to look for problems like the HES sensor, TPS, etc.

vaccum leak would be my first guess, maybe the need for a throttle body balance check would be my second.

My RT did this constantly and was getting worse with age. It all went away when I rebuilt my throttle bodies. Granted I had ~120k miles on them and had major shaft wear, but it acted the same way. While I certainly don't think your throttle bodies would be anywhere close to being worn, a vaccuum leak could cause the exact same issues I was having.

Afternoon Keith

Unlike carbureted engines on fuel injected engines a vacuum leak usually causes a high idle not a stall. (just like opening up the BBS screw to allow more air in).

As more air enters the intake the RPM increases so the fueling computer just adds more fuel to go with higher RPM.

Now a severe vacuum leak could be an issue but that would have to be a very-very large leak that the fueling computer can’t compensate for without more TPS input.

That’s not saying he couldn’t have worn throttle shafts/bushings or some other reason a throttle plate isn’t seating correctly but that usually involves closing too far to lower idle air.

I have put about 2k on it since I have performed any work on it. So I dont think it is anything like messing with a pulley. The throttle cable works fine and has not been touched.

I cleaned the BBS with some Throttle body specific spray cleaner 2k ago, the TBs seemed fine at the time.

I will double check these items next week, I don't want to tear into it today, I have a group ride tomorrow I don't to want miss.

As to the HES, what is the fix for that? and what are the symptoms of that going bad?

Dirt rider,

If a vacuum leak wouldn't cause the stalling, why would worn TB shafts cause it? Wouldn't worn shafts just make a vacuum leak? Or is there some other issue with worn shafts I am missing?

For the other posters,

As to the O2 sensor, wouldn't disconnecting it cause the same symptoms of a bad one? Bad fuel, I will be running a tank or 2 thru it this weekend so I will see if that helps.

Not sure if I am gonna have time to fix it next week either, or that I need to since I am having a double disc ectomy and vertibral fusion on wednesday of C5,6,7 and will be down for at least 6 weeks to 6 months. Maybe I am putting the cart before the horse.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the ideas!

Dirt rider,

As to the O2 sensor, wouldn't disconnecting it cause the same symptoms of a bad one?

The most common failure modes of 02 sensors are:

heater fail - problems reduce with a warm engine.

Lazy response - the sensor does not respond quickly enough to changing fuelling, so this can cause a lean stall from time to time.

Disconnecting the 02 is detected as a failed 02 by the fuelling computer and so a 'base-map' fuelling algorithm is used. This is usually a little rich, but the bike runs fine on the setting, just with reduced gas mileage.

Andy

Hi Keith not seen you around recently, hope your well, and as ever it's good to see your Avatar - keeping us smiling.

Andy

I've been lurking, but I haven't ridden since June and didn't have much to say z0tdntknw.gif

It could be the HES, though most folks report this first happening when the bike is wet. You could spray down the front of the motor with it idling......If it is the HES, almost guarantee it will quit.

The symptom you describe does sound just like what I had happen when I had water in my fuel. I siphoned the tank as dry as I could with 1/4" ID tubing, and there was at least a pint of water in the bottom of the gas can. (With plastic gas cans, you can see the separation when you hold it up to the light). Might be worth a try.

Ok so a quick update. I went for a little 75 mile ride today, I found that as long as I didn't let the RPMs drop quickly I never had a problem. When I pulled in the clutch, if I just blipped the throttle a bit and brought the idle down slowly it was fine.

It idles at about 1050-1100 normally. I noticed that sometimes when I chop off the throttle kind of abruptly it will drop quickly down to 8-900 rpm, that is when it wants to stall.

Does that narrow it down at all?

That sounds similar to my bike just before I swapped the 02. My bike however, also occasionally missed a beat on tickover (English for idle)

Andy

Geez and I thought that I was the only one with a stubborn RT...

Great advice from everyone. I'm going to try each of your suggestions - one at time of course - till the stalling stops. Wait, it that being redundant???

Heading out for a rare good weather day ride tomorrow, with a projected high of 60 for a change - much better than the sorry weather we've had here in western NC the last few months.

My bike (2000 R1100RT) has the same problem being discussed here. Thanks for all the great input, I have benefited from it as well. Sign of a great forum!

I plan on going coast to coast later this year, so I'd really like to get my problem sorted out.

Cheers

Mine, yet another 2000 RT, does the same thing sometimes. It doesn't normally completely die, but just misses a beat. It's not too often though, and more of an attention getter than anything. But, I'm certainly reading this post with interest. I find that mine does it more when cold than warm, unlike kmac's original post. I usually let it warm to at least one bar on the temp gauge before I take off on it. However, if it does completely die, then it is, as others have said, very hard to restart. That is my biggest concern.

Sparkplugs and coils checked? Id go for a good spark first...

The bike is 15 years olds and done 18k? Gummy injectors/filter? Sounds like its been sitting an aweful lot...

My ST1300 acts like this when I've been riding in the US. I get cold stalling while the engine is warming up. I'm pretty sure that the problem is gum on the injectors from ethanol. A half can of Sea Foam seems to clear it up for me. Up here, high-test has no ethanol, so the problem only seems to occur when I've been south of the 49th.

Yes it sat alot, BEFORE I got it. I got it in late Oct. '10 with 14.5K on the clock. In the 3.5 months since then I have put 3.5K on it. Not a TON but much better than the previous owner.

I am gonna check out the sea foam.

Seafoam helps.....Not as effective as Techron, in my experience, but it does get the junk out of the system. Try the Seafoam with an Italian tuneup (Translation....Run it has hard as you can).

In my experience, CA fuel is as bad as it gets, this side of the 3rd world 55 gallon drum.

In my experience, CA fuel is as bad as it gets, this side of the 3rd world 55 gallon drum.
What? Your fuel doesn't come out of a 45 gallon drum?? ;0
What? Your fuel doesn't come out of a 45 gallon drum?? ;0

Some folks do get a little confused about New Messico......We actually have gas stations with card readers and everything. Sometimes it is a couple of hundred miles between 'em. Come for a visit. But move to Arizona.......New Messico is full.

Some folks do get a little confused about New Messico......We actually have gas stations with card readers and everything. Sometimes it is a couple of hundred miles between 'em. Come for a visit. But move to Arizona.......New Messico is full.
Will be in Arizona for a week in March visiting friends. Have a GS lined up (rental) for a couple of days. Looking forward to it!
Will be in Arizona for a week in March visiting friends. Have a GS lined up (rental) for a couple of days. Looking forward to it!

Arizona has its good points, as long as you don't have to spend much time in the greater Phoenix area. Especially from May 'til November. Phoenix could not exist without air conditioning.

Archived