IGNORED

Power

MarkyP

I'm looking at the cleanest way to supply power to both my GPS and later to a tank bag (to charge cell/ipad, etc.) and I'm struggling on the cleanest way to accomplish this. My methods have ranged from a wire with a quick connect plug that feeds the tank bag to many other octopus-looking designs and I've generally settled on running a deep-well socket with a cover to somewhere in the forward control area and then splitting the power from there if needed.

I'm trying to keep things simple and clean for running the bike both with and without a tank bag and this seems to be the most simple solution.

Any suggestions?

Thanks all and be safe.

Your profile says 2003 1100 but I assume you mean 1150. I'd run a relay off of the battery triggered by a switched source like the tail light or parking light then run a set of fused leads under the tank to an SAE connector that can run into your tank bag. Several of the "electridfied tank bags" have a bulkhead SAE connector to which you can attach that lead. Inside the tank bag, you can powere anything you like. When not using the tank bag, just cap the SAE connector and tuck it down near the forks and you won't even see it. You can also use that same connector to power a air pump or other emergency accessory.

For the GPS, I placed a 12 cig. lighter socket under the seat, and route the cord under the tank bag. It works okay but I'm thinking of moving it up a little closer, in the fairing somewhere.

For the tank bag, look at the stuff Powerlet sells (powerlet.com). With their stuff, I've outfitted my and my missus' tank bags with cig. lighter sockets for charging cell phones, GMRS radios, ipods....

The main problem I've found, is that the cig. lighter sockets suck. They're bulky, and prone to various failures. And there aren't many alternatives....

The main problem I've found, is that the cig. lighter sockets suck. They're bulky, and prone to various failures. And there aren't many alternatives....

Sure there are. SAE is kind of a standard and quite compact.

• 3 weeks later...

Ended up going with a fused source with SAE connector run to the base of the clutch plate. I then retrofitted my gps with an SAE plug (after some engineering on the knock-down components) and run it directly from there (using a clutch plate-mounted RAM setup). So far it's working great and it gives me the flexibility to run additional power to my tank bag in the future simply by modifying the power plug in the bag.

Thanks all.

This winter I took all the tupperware off the bike to do some work on it over the winter.Still took it for a ride on nicer days,and I got a few stares.Anyway I found the pigtale for the optional radio by the left fork and used the grd.and pos.wire for the powerlet surface mnt.that I purchased.I bent some thick sheet metal I had laying around and mounted it next to the ignition switch.If I want to charge something in the bag I will make/buy an adapter that will reach into the bag.

Have one for the first time and the electrified tankbag is the bomb. Have everything set up so all I have to do is unplug the SAE and zip up everything into the bag to easily store it in a sidebag for security when needed.

This winter I took all the tupperware off the bike to do some work on it over the winter.Still took it for a ride on nicer days,and I got a few stares.Anyway I found the pigtale for the optional radio by the left fork and used the grd.and pos.wire for the powerlet surface mnt.that I purchased.I bent some thick sheet metal I had laying around and mounted it next to the ignition switch.If I want to charge something in the bag I will make/buy an adapter that will reach into the bag.

pretty well what I've done too, the only difference is I mounted the power outlet on the fascia but just run a lead to the tank bag or gps or whatever

:)

I've been looking for a day or so now at options on mounting my Garmin, and getting power, etc. At any rate I saw something that you may like over at Twisted Throttle, they have a few versions of a mount you place over the gas cap ring. They have tank bags that snap into that mount, which keeps the bag from rubbing the tank, and also provides power to the bag itself.

Not sure if anyone here has used them, but it looks like a nice, clean setup.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/3089/321/

Archived