IGNORED

Fuel Filter Hose Clamps

TracyMurphy

Before I found this site I replaced the fuel filter on my 1150RT, but did not use fuel injection hose clamps for the filter. Used the regular worm screw type. So the question is, have I set myself up for failure on the road somewhere and do I need to replace the clamps I used with the fuel injection type??

I probably already know the answer, but I guess I just need to hear it from a third party. I really do not want to take the fuel filter out again for another 24K.

Thanks,

Tracy

Afternoon Tracy

I have seen those aircraft worm gear clamps work on fuel injection systems for years without problems but have also seen them start to sink into the hose and lose clamping load in a short time.

I would imagine it depends on how tight they were tightened and how much of the serrated part of the clamp is contacting the hose.

Those aircraft type worm gear clamps fit an array of hose diameters so a lot of people seem to use a rather large clamp with the idea of just cranking it down around the hose. As a rule the larger the clamp the larger the worm section is so the clamp doesn’t stay round when tightened down.

As far as setting up for future failure? It is difficult to say without seeing what clamp you used and how tight you tightened them (even then it would be a guess). It sure is possible to have a failure but it is also possible they will never allow a failure. (you just won’t know until it happens).

If it were me I would just leave it alone as long as possible if riding locally then install a new filter and proper clamps before venturing a long ways from home or easy recovery.

In developed countries I still struggle with why we still even consider changing the filter at anything below 50000 mile intervals. Therefore it isn't really that much effort to open the tank up and change There is a strainer to pick up coarse debris and the surface area of the fine filter is huge, so it wshould take an age to block. Certainly the effort to remote it is not worthy of the time (IMO).

Andy

I just changed my fuel filter at 49k km's and when I turned it upside down, there was a lot of black stuff coming out of it...

I just go along the manual: every 40k km's...

Dan.

In developed countries I still struggle with why we still even consider changing the filter at anything below 50000 mile intervals. Therefore it isn't really that much effort to open the tank up and change There is a strainer to pick up coarse debris and the surface area of the fine filter is huge, so it wshould take an age to block. Certainly the effort to remote it is not worthy of the time (IMO).

Andy

Morning Andy

I agree, the thing will run forever if clean water free fuel is used. If infected fuel is used it can plug even a new filter in just a few seconds so in either case the miles to filter change is inaccurate at best.

Personally I just run the bike to top speed when new to get a benchmark on top speed obtainable then from time to time run it to top speed to verify fuel flow. I ALWAYS run a top speed test before any long trip to verify fuel delivery. If top speed is low I find out why (fuel filter, air filter, fuel pump, spark plug, coil, etc)

When a fuel filter starts plugging up a lower top speed is the first place it shows up.

I have seen fuel injected cars and light trucks go well over 100,000 miles on the original filter.

The BMW hexhead RT doesn’t even have a replaceable fuel filter.

I'm aware of one case of a blocked fuel filter on an 1100RS. The current owner was unaware of whether or not it had ever been changed. I don't recall the mileage, but it can happen. His bike was starved for fuel. He realized that he had a problem at a rally 500 miles from home, with only a Laverda dealer (yes, Laverda) within 200 miles. They got him going.

Personally I just run the bike to top speed when new to get a benchmark . . .

. . . then from time to time run it to top speed to verify fuel flow . . .

. . . I ALWAYS run a top speed test before any long trip . . .

I need to add this to my routine service procedures. :)

Having owned a Zane Laverda and after changing the fuel filter on one of those (think, disassemble almost the entire top and rear of the bike), then changing out a BMW fuel filter would have been like attending a school picnic and being entertained by clowns.

Those guys were smoking something from Amsterdam the day they designed that model Laverda.

Linz :)

Even at sustained top speed, consumption (filter flow) is only .05 gallons per minute. Always puzzling to me that "change your fuel filter" is such a common first suggestion, whatever the problem.

Gotta say, BMW went out of their usual way to make it hard to find clamps for the internal hoses. OK, not as hard as finding shims for wheel bearings on earlier models.

Ben

Even at sustained top speed, consumption (filter flow) is only .05 gallons per minute. Always puzzling to me that "change your fuel filter" is such a common first suggestion, whatever the problem.-----

Ben

Morning Ben

Your Canadian BMW must get a lot better fuel mileage than my USA bikes do, that .05 gallons per minute at top speed is simply amazing. That would be a bit over 43 miles per gallon at 130mph. (must be Canadian miles and gallons eh)

Unfortunately my BMW’s can’t do nearly that good as I am down around the very low 20 mpg at sustained 100 mph and between 12-15 mpg at short run 130+ mph (at least according to my on board computer).

Thanks for the input. I will get the correct clamps and change them out after I get the gas run down. This was my first time getting into the fuel pump/filter and it probably will go a little easier next time. Maybe it will motivate me into getting the supplies to do a brake fluid/clutch fluid change since I will have the tank off again instead of taking it into the dealer.

Is there anyone around Oakley, Ca that would like to come over and supervise once I get all the supplies or maybe I should just do a new post when I am ready???

Not close or I would. If you decide to do the brakes, I discovered a few weeks ago it wasn't that big of a deal. Send me a note when you are ready and I will send you the compilation of instructions, videos, and parts list I have assimilated all from knowledgeable people from this site.

Archived