IGNORED

homemade solar furnace

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

Ever played outside with a magnifying glass on a sunny day when you were a kid? Yeah, me too. Fun to focus the sunlight on a tiny spot and incinerate things.

You can of course do the same thing with mirrors. In fact, the Olympic flame is lit this way. Likewise, solar furnaces do it on a very large scale to generate electrical power (or just really high temperatures) from sunlight.

If you scale that down just a tad, you can do the same thing in your backyard, like this guy:

As he demonstrates, a satellite TV antenna (parabolic dish) lined with 5000+ mirror segments results in a pretty kickass backyard solar furnace. Not only does wood catch fire pretty quick, but he's melting steel, turning dirt into lava, and burning holes in concrete. Wow.

Having helped with about 20 of these I would like to point out that yes it works but to say it has the power of some multiple of suns is misleading. From the video it burns wood, that is about 460 degrees farenheit. I would like to see it melt steel in person before I would believe it. Cynical but I have seen reflectors that are 5 or 6 feet in diameter that would not melt steel.

Different, I know, but I have seen a 12-inch lens concentrate sunlight to melt aluminum. 1220 F or 660 C. It was a slug of about an inch cubed, but the molten part was maybe 1/10 of an inch cubed (1/1000 cubic inch).

Summer of 77, Calgary Planetarium. I was 14. Same day I saw Star Wars for the first time. And it must have made as big an impression on me as the movie.

May have worked for Archimedes.

If it didn't actually set fire to the ships I am confident having thousands of shields reflecting sun at you would have dampened the enthusiasm of some!

Archived