IGNORED

2010 R1200RT Storage Compartment?

w2ge

I just got my 2010 R1200RT and the storage compartment is long and deep (like 12 inches or so) I had prior looked into the compartments on R12's that had the radio option and foam was in there... Is it possible mine is missing (foam), or is that just the way it is? And if so, is there some aftermarket storage "organizer" of some sort... I mean I feel like if I dropped my phone in there I might not be able to get it! (seems odd)

TIA, Phil

As said, BMW sells a bag that fits in the space but it's never appeared to be an appealing solution to me. Yes the compartment is cavernous but I've always seen that as more of a plus than a minus. Here' how I'm using mine.

I have small zipper bags that I place various items (tools, batteries, first aid gear, etc). I place these into the compartment layering them with those on the bottom being the ones I think I'm least likely to need. I've also mounted a Mixit2 and Ipod to the side of the compartment. I can easily reach the Mixit volume by popping the compartment door (note, there's a rubber plug in the bottom of the compartment that allows you feed wires into it without losing weather integrity. Finally make sure you take advantage of the little Maglite mount on the inside of the lid.

P.S. All that said, I've had my arm up to my elbow fishing for things too.

Don't get the idea of using this pocket for a phone. Its out of use there so might as well be in your jacket pocket, tankbag, on your belt or almost anyplace else. I also don't put my wallet there- its in the zipped pocket of riding pants or jacket pocket so it is with me automatically when I get off the bike.

That compartment on my 08 holds a small jug of extra oil (needed during break in but not afterward), a CyclePump for use with tire plugs, small spritzer of windshield cleaner, a couple microfiber towels, a (modified by me) LED min-MagLite clicked into the holder on the lid, and the garage door opener on top of the other stuff.

For me, phone is normally on my belt but goes in an electrified tank bag for trips so it stays charged. It can be linked through my Zumo to a helmet headset so calls can be made while riding but I rarely use this- I'm not much for distractions while riding- too hazardous.

Joe Frickin' Friday

The glovebox on the 1200RT's is not as usable as the one on the 1100/1150RT. It's so much deeper and narrower that it's difficult to reach to the bottom of it if you're wearing a riding jacket.

I covered one interior wall of the compartment on my '09 RT with Duolock. My FRS radio is stuck to that wall, high up where it's easily reachable. I bought a belt-holster for my cell phone, and then stuck that to the Duolock on the wall of the compartment, within easy reach. Because of the way the holster's release mechanism works, I turned it upside down so that the phone can be released with one hand. I suppose it might be better to have the phone within easy reach if/when you depart from the bike in a crash, but my preference is to not have hard objects between my body and the ground if at all possible, so the phone stays with the bike until/unless it's needed.

I used to have a tiny 2-GB MP3 player stuck to a small patch of Duolock on that tiny ledge at the rear of the compartment. Now that I have an iPod, I bought a snap-on plastic case for it; the case will be stuck (more Duolock!) to the underside of the compartment lid, so when it's time to ride, I just snap the iPod into the case, plug in the audio and go.

Way down on the abyssal plain at the bottom of the compartment, I have a packet containing proof of insurance, registration, and some other emergency stuff that's unlikely to be accessed very often.

... you mean the Bottomless Pit?

... the Grand Canyon of the RT?

I put it to good use, much like the others, with baggies of different sorts of things. Registration/Insurance papers, small-time first aid and comfort items (large and "serious" first aid kit kept elsewhere)

Not to mention the plastic tube used to hold dead batteries, the Leatherman tool. and the microfiber neck warmer/glove liners/balaklava warm gear.

For me, it is far better than a radio. Foam? No stinkin' foam in my box....

I have cut off the flashlight holder from the lid.

It has given me to many cuts and scrapes when trying to fish something out of that "pit".

I can store the flashlight in the "pit" if I choose, but likely if I plan to ride at night it goes in my tank bag.

First aid kit and documentation on the bottom, insert on the top for keys, cell, etc. Keeps things seperate but easily accessible.

Works for me.

Mitch's method is too organized, it is un-men like, or unbecoming.

Wait, is Mitch a female rider?

I could post a picture of my creative use of glovebox, but it is just a bunch of stuff in the bottom of "the pit", condoms, a screwdriver and some shaving cream. :D

I purchase the least expensive item at my dealership. It is the BMW one quart zipper bag. Holds my inportant paperwork and fits in the Canon with room for other items. The price of the bag $6.

In response to:

Poster: hopz

Subject: Re: 2010 R1200RT Storage Compartment?

Originally Posted By: There will be cake.

I have cut off the flashlight holder from the lid

I forgot to mention that "holder"... holds a Chap Stick perfectly.

I attach a mini maglite to the clips

I keep a full size can of Pledge, the miracle bike cleaner, in the g'box. That and some cleaning rags keeps the bike and helmet clean.

Paperwork also in a stout zip-lock bag.

WOW! Didn't know I'd get so many responses, Thanks. I like the hooks Mitch used.. I didn't even realize that was a Mag-lite holder! So, I'm right, it is a cavernous pit from which things may never come back from... I think I shouted in there and heard my echo... ;-) So far, I put my license and registration in a baggie, sealed it and taped it to the side wall in there... but I got some ideas from you guys what to throw in there... I used to put most of that stuff in a roll-bag.

Dave_zoom_zoom
WOW! I didn't even realize that was a Mag-lite holder!

If you have a really neat top quality Mag-lite be careful of what type of battries you use. I used Rayovac and the heat and some time made them swell and leak. Ruined my beloved Mag-lite.

They told me to send it to them (my expence) They replaced it with a cheap flashlight I wouldn't give to a little kid. :(

NO MORE RAYOVAC FOR ME!

Dave :(

storage compartment Hijack "ON"

All alkaline batteries will leak acid after a while, usually when discharged. This has been my experience in the past, not just rayovac.

For roadside emergencies at night i would much rather have a headband type LED light to allow use of both hands- Thanks Mitch.

Hijack "OFF"

A small bag used by campers with lots of compartments will fit in there. I use it to store lots of small items. It is relatively easy to pull out the bag and locate the small items. I think mine was about $20.

If you enjoy tunes or like to hear your garmin without ear buds, then you might consider a cheap way to amplify your tunes.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2716522

This small amp comes with a volume knob, is marine grade (water proof) and fits into a corner of the glove box. I have it hooked up to my garmin. I was able to just buy the amp and bought a better set of speakers than what would have came with the kit. The amp alone will run around 95 bucks. You just have to take the dash apart to mounnt some marine grade speakers and you will have some nice amplified music from your garmin, sat radio, or mp3 player.

I still have room for and extra set of keys, registration, insurance and then I put the expensive BMW thingy which I put my GPS in and locked up if I leave the bike.

Any questions...send me a pm. I can send you some pics once it gets warm enough to take the cover off.

Oh, it is loud but still not highway speed loud with a helmet on. Good for under 50ish mph.

If you enjoy tunes or like to hear your garmin without ear buds, then you might consider a cheap way to amplify your tunes.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2716522

This small amp comes with a volume knob, is marine grade (water proof) and fits into a corner of the glove box. I have it hooked up to my garmin. I was able to just buy the amp and bought a better set of speakers than what would have came with the kit. The amp alone will run around 95 bucks. You just have to take the dash apart to mounnt some marine grade speakers and you will have some nice amplified music from your garmin, sat radio, or mp3 player.

I still have room for and extra set of keys, registration, insurance and then I put the expensive BMW thingy which I put my GPS in and locked up if I leave the bike.

Any questions...send me a pm. I can send you some pics once it gets warm enough to take the cover off.

Oh, it is loud but still not highway speed loud with a helmet on. Good for under 50ish mph.

Gotta a pic?

Gotta a pic?

:lurk:

"Any questions...send me a pm. I can send you some pics once it gets warm enough to take the cover off."

Sorry, bike is still in storage so you will have to wait a tad bit longer.

In my "glovebox" I have:

A couple of microfiber cloth's in the bottom.

A Slime airpump w/o case.

Owners manual, registration and POI in a ziplock bag (non-bmw ziplock ~29 cents ea)

A pair of extra gloves

A small camera

Hopz, I don't think I have tried chapstik in the funny little holder thingy. . . I wish my RT wasn't still stuck in Arizona! :P

I fattened up a tire pressure gauge with blue masking tape - now it fits nicely in that holder clip. In hindsight, maybe duct tape would have been a little smarter so it would be available for emergency use.

I use the storage compartment on my 2008 RT to hold my hydration bladder. Doesn't work as well as it did on my 98 RT. The opening is not as wide, it's not as large, and it's on the right instead of the left so it is harder to grab the hose while riding.

Kevin

Ottawa, Canada

Archived