IGNORED

1100RT vs 1200rt seat height

Bill Montgomery

Bill Montgomery

Hi all,

I'm presently riding a '97 R1100RT with a Sargent seat set at the lowest height. I have boots with 2" heels and I am able to barely flatfoot at stops. I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam. I am shopping for an R1200RT. From what I get from the seat height specs, I'm wondering if I'm tall enough for the 1200 even with the low seat option. BTW, I'm shopping in the used market, 2007 and newer, and I have yet to sit on one.

Thanks, one and all,

Bill Montgomery

'97 R1100RT

Stanville, KY

malcolmblalock

FYIW, I'm 5'9" with a 30 inch inseam as well and ride a 2005 and 2009 1200 RT. Regular seat and normal motorcycle boots (no lifts).

While the bike is tall for me, it's manageable. I can almost flat-foot (heels touch, but just barely) if I work to do it (slide fully forward and streeetch. Normally, I tip-toe rather than working so hard to flat foot. I have ESA and if I go to 2 or 3 helmets, I have to tipetoe and slide left or right to get a good foothold to the ground.

I do find that I avoid stopping in gravel or sandy places if possible; I need all the traction with my feet that I can get.

Haven't ridden a 1100 RT, so I have no idea how they compare.

My experience...

Five foot six, 29-30 inseam .... Low Sargent seat on an 05 RT....Tip toes and careful :grin:..Recommend you don't give up the bike you want based on "flat footing" it...Learn to live with it and enjoy the ride.... :thumbsup:

Although the specs are close, my R1200RT feels significantly taller than my '96 R1100RT. I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam.

I added about 1/2 inch to my boots because I didn't like the reach on the R12RT while riding two up. I have the standard seat, but wish even at my height that I got the lower seat/suspension option. I would definitely try before buying.

Is the R1200RT not available with the low suspension option? That should come in as low as, or lower, than an R1100RT. You lose ESA, but from what I have read here, that may not be such a bad thing.

I can flat foot a GSA, on the centerstand, so I'm not much help.

:/

But, I'd look into lowering the RT with Wilbers if I needed to change the height of the saddle.

Best wishes.

It's not so much the height of the bike, it's the width of the seat! I am only 5ft 6in here with a 29" inseam. I came from a 1200ST with low seat (780mm) that I could flat foot to a 1200RT low seat (780mm) that I could not!

So I built up my boot 1/2in and the aforementioned low seat I can almost flat foot. After two months with the bike (love it by the way) I am used to the height. Sometimes I wish I had bought the low susp model & they had one available but did not test ride it!

If you go too low in the seat the footpeg/seat relationship becomes too short which is why I bought lowered footpegs.

I am happy with the outcome now.

Just another thing to consider.

Cheers Teddy

Bill Montgomery

Thanks everybody, I'm planning on a test ride of a low-seat regular suspension model in a couple weeks.

Bill Montgomery

'97 R1100RT

Stanville, KY

I had a 98 RT and the high seat position on that bike is the same height as the lowest on my 08 RT.

I have had four seats on the 08 since I bought it in September 09. I bought it used and the PO had the stock low BMW seat which was a torture platform. Worst seat I have ever had on any bike. I could reach the ground fairly well though - almost flat footed. Then I had Rick Mayer redo the seat but he erred and kept it a low seat contrary to my instructions. It was much better comfort-wise and I could still reach the ground but just with the balls of my feet. While he was redoing the seat, I borrowed the BMW stock regular seat from a friend. I could reach the ground even better with this seat than either of the first two. It was softer and not as wide but it too was a torture platform. The final saddle is a standard Rick Mayer seat and it is the most comfortable by far and I could barely reach the ground again. I have since installed Hyperpro shorter shocks and my setup is now finalized.

As another poster mentioned, a low seat will shorten the seat to peg distance and may cause discomfort in your legs as your knees will be bent more. You really need to sit on several bikes if you can and make your own judgement. I think the hexhead RT is unnecessarily tall.

I'm 5'9" but only have a 30" inseam.

Kevin

Ottawa, Canada

5'8" and 29" inseam. I went through the same worries.

Bought with standard seat and suspension, got the seat narrowed and lowered slightly. It's fine - still a little higher than my previous 100RT and 1150RT but manageable.

David

5'8" and 29" inseam. I went through the same worries.

Bought with standard seat and suspension, got the seat narrowed and lowered slightly. It's fine - still a little higher than my previous 100RT and 1150RT but manageable.

David

I can flat foot a GSA, on the centerstand, so I'm not much help.

:/

But, I'd look into lowering the RT with Wilbers if I needed to change the height of the saddle.

Best wishes.

I can almost do that...I am not long legged for my height though. 6'5 34" inseam.

Archived