IGNORED

How do you clean inside the headlamp lens on 1150RT?

pickersgill1

How do you clean inside the headlamp lens on 1150RT?

Hi

Has anyone had the problem of the inside of the headlamp glass looking foggy like the inside of a car's windshield, it's ineed of a good clean, if so how do you get to clean the inside the lens?

Check to see if the small pilot light is correctly installed. That should seal it pretty well.

You probably (hopefully) only have condensation inside there.

I suggest removing the pilot light, and then leave the headlight Main & dip on for a little while also if you have access to compressed air, GENTLY play that into the pilot light hole to generate a bit of air movement, and hopefully you will be able to see an improvement in things. Don't ride with the pilot light removed otherwise you will get muck inside the housing.

Andy

I'm interested in the response to this question also. I have car lights that have residue on the inside, probably from dried condensation, that fogs the glass. There are products out there for restoring the outside of polycarbonate lenses, but I've not found one that would do the inside.

Hi

it's not condensation, but a dried grime possibly condesation that's dried from as a result of hose pipe. The inside of the lens is like it just needs a good clean like inside of helmet visor.

It looks poor on a clean polished bike with the headlight missing a shine on the inside glass.

Ah, in that case, short of removing the headlamp and popping the lens off, cleaning it, resealing and refitting it, I have no other suggestions.

If the actual reflective surface has grime on it, you are pretty much stuffed. You may clean it, but as sure as eggs are eggs, you will put some micro swirly scores on it.

I too will wait for sage suggestions.

Andy

Hi Andy

I had the headlight removed last summer to try and rectify the 2004 earth/ground problem on this years production of the bike.

I did removed the reataining clips, tried to remove outer glass lens that was well & truly stuck, chickened out of trying to hard & breaking the glass, suspose 6/7 years of sun has baked the lens solid to the shell.

Short of taking the headlight out and flushing it out, you have limited options.

I have a flexible retrieving tool such as this one: Tool

You can ball up a paper towel, grip it with the tool, spray some windex on it, and insert is through the empty bulb socket to wipe the inside of the glass lens. It works pretty well at cleaning up the residue which instantly comes off.

Thanks for the idea's will have a go over the weekend, problem with your headlight being grubby inside the glass, it's in such a prominent position you notice it every time you wlk up to the front of the bike..

...and car. It's annoying, isn't it? And I think it diffuses the light that actually makes it onto the road and turns it into heat (which you don't need).

Archived