IGNORED

Idle problem on 2008 R1200RT

johanncar

I have had the most irritating thing happen since end of 2010. I commute about 30 miles both ways, and is the afternoon when i hit the traffic, after about 30 minutes riding, the engine starts running lumpy when i stop, and then dies. It still starts easily, but wont run on a closed throttle. BMW looked at it and said it was fine. Since then, i made a point of running in traffic in lower gears, so the engine revs are higher and the oil is pumped around faster, and it has not happened again. Could it be that the engine gets too hot and then stop idling? I used to always ride in as high a gear as possible because i like the boxer on low revs.I have done 20000 miles.

Could be one of the stick coils. Probably starts acting up once the motor gets hot. If by chance you have a friend with a R1200, switch coils with him and see if it does it on your next commute.

It does seem to only happen when it heats up, it starts to run roughish and then starts dying. When it stood overnight it is fine again!

Archived