IGNORED

Airliner Landing at LAX

CoarsegoldKid

Dave McReynolds

I have a client who is a pilot for one of the major airlines. I asked him one time if he takes a dry run, or rides along with another pilot first, when they assign him a to fly into a new city he has not flown into before. He said no, all he does is study the charts and diagrams of the runways before he flys to a new place for the first time.

While the pilots have a lot of help from sophisticated electronics that I'm sure would make the instructions that "Jill" gives me from my GPS seem pretty basic by comparison, I would still feel nervous doing what the pilot routinely did in the video if I had not landed there before.

The biggest airports I regularly landed myself at were LaGuardia and Midway and DFW and Indy. Otherwise I usually avoided them.

If you ever want a real zoo, land in Memphis (in instrument conditions) at night along with hundreds of FedEx planes! :grin:

While the pilots have a lot of help from sophisticated electronics that I'm sure would make the instructions that "Jill" gives me from my GPS seem pretty basic by comparison, I would still feel nervous doing what the pilot routinely did in the video if I had not landed there before.

You just get used to it after awhile, and the charts are very good. Plus they have GPS. I've probably landed at 150 different airports. My most embarrassing mistake was flying to Cincinnati and feverishly looking for the instrument charts to land at the main airport there. Only to realize that the airport was in Kentucky, and so the charts were filed under that state instead. My heart stopped for just a moment.

Archived