IGNORED

Can anyone help me choose 2007 v. 2011 RT

K9_RN

Been riding for 27 years. I have never had a BMW before. I am going to have one. Which one is the question. I had myself convinced that I needed a new RT. New engine, windscreen.... Then I started thinking (never a good thing, I end up in terminal loops!) there is a 2007 with 11,800 miles for a reasonable price, why not start there? Can you guys fill me in on the pluses and minuses of either. All opinions welcome. I can pay for the 07 in cash, need a loan for the new one. Many thanks for your time. Kelly.

If they both had zero miles, or if they both had 12K miles, I doubt you'd notice any difference in actually riding them (although there are some small differences). I think your decision might boil down to how you feel about new vs. used (broken in), expensive vs. less expensive, and warranty vs. no warranty. Again, the bikes themselves are about the same.

The 2007 with 11.8K is new in BMW terms, minus the warranty.

What is the consensus? It is not broken in till about 30K. miles.

At least is what I was told. :)

I got a 2007 Blue RT in October. 3Kmiles. It's hard to tell it isn't a new bike, and I couldn't imagine paying the "tax" to get a 2011. I would get a used one again if I had the chance.

Go for the 2007. Most definitely. An outstanding bike, and the diffs versus the 2011 aren't worth the extra $$$. Have enjoyed an '07 for four problem free, grinned filled years.

While not the newer version of the RT, my experience involved buying my 1996 R1100RT when it had 49,500 miles on it. It currently has 156,300 and I'd hop on it and ride it anywhere.

No loan, no big drive-it-off-the-lot depeciation, minimal loss of dollars if you decide it isn't the bike for you. All those sound good to me.

some things to consider.

1, The radial valve OHC 3010 bike will be the peak of the air oil boxers. The 3007 is is off the peak just a bit. Will that bother you.

2. What bike did you ride before? If coming from the cruiser world, there is a chance you may drop the bike until you are used to it.

3. It took me a while before I began to truly appreciate the boxer engine and things BMW suspension wise. They are different, and feel different. Once you get over that, then you begin to appreciate the difference.

You really can not go wrong with either bike. I would want the new one if I could afford it simply because it is new. But right now I can not afford anything, and the long life of the BMW is really working to my advantage.

Rod

Nice n Easy Rider

Go for the 07. Ride it for awhile. If you still feel the need for a new one you should be able to sell it fairly easily and recoup a lot of its cost. If you're happy with the 07 you have a great ride and you've saved a bundle of cash.

Definitely the '07 for all the reasons already mentioned. You might decide six months into it that BMW isn't really your cup of tea and you'll take a huge hit on a new one. The '07 is virtually new, priced well, within your budget, and you'll get your money back if you decide it's not for you. You can always upgrade next year if you feel the need to have brand new.

I had a 2007 and now have a 2011, The difference is small, I would go for the 2007. I loved my 2007, and also love the 2011, but with the price difference, and the fact that the 07 is a low mileage bike, it's a an easy choice!

Steve

I'm surprised no one has brought up the difference in maintenance. One of the attractions of a Boxer is it's ease of maintenance. In other words, a ham-fisted hack like myself can do a regular service on the bike and save $$$. When the Boxer changed to a Camhead (2010) and shim adjust valves, that changed.

Can anyone with experience speak on the difference in performing maintenance on a Camhead vs. a Hexhead/Oilhead? With the shim adjust valves, does that mean valve adjustment is less frequent or is that not possible until the boxer goes to a full water jacket?

Go for the '07 for several reasons. Some guy probably lost his job, and you'd be helping him out of a tight spot. An 07 with that kind of mileage should be as good as new (I still think my '96 RS is new, shiny and fancy). Take the money you save on tax, depreciation and insurance, and go buy some farkles and ride ride ride.

The guys at Car Talk had what I thought was good advice: First, figure out how much money you want to spend. THEN go shopping. Buy the best car [bike] that fits your needs, while staying under budget. Then take it to your mechanic and spend the rest of your budgeted money fixing anything that's broken. Even the little stuff. You'll never know it was used.

I've had a 1974, 1981, 1996, 2000 and presently a 2007. I've never bought a one new and every one I've had has been beter than the last one. The 2007 is simply an amazing machine. Probably someday I'll have the overhead cam model but the '07 is so good I just don't feel the need for an upgrade right now. The difference between say the 2000 and 2007 is enormous while the difference between an '07 and an '11 appears to me to be fairly small. Sure the new motor is clearly better but not double the price better. Buy the '07 and put some money aside for a suspension and seat upgrade and you'll be happy camper for many years.

You guys are all missing the point.

He needs to buy the new one.

By doing so he will be adding money to our struggling economy. Taxes, interest, and a high profit to the local dealer will be the straw that breaks the "bad economy's" back and fixes the country.

Also he will be helping to keep his locaal deallership open with the purchase and service on the 2010/2011 so you other guys in his area will still have the dealer available for bigger service.

:)

Hey, thanks for all of your insight. (BTW I'm a woman, just noticed I never mentioned that. I don't think it really matters...just FYI)I am really leaning towards the '07. I would need to replace the suspension, curse these short legs. I have already gotten lots of feedback from the group about that. I do come from 'the cruiser world' (again, curse these short legs), a few Sportsters and a 2002 Heritage Springer(my baby, very sparkly and shiny). I have done my share of riding in the dirt when I was young(er) so, I'm used to the one foot on the ground thing. I think I am stronger than the average chick and won't have any problems keeping an RT upright, especially if I lower it some. I also do all the oil changes and the simple maint. on all of my bikes. Valve adjustments don't sound that difficult. Still trying to decide exactly which brand of shocks (no ESA)...Again thanks!

Hey, thanks for all of your insight. (BTW I'm a woman, just noticed I never mentioned that. I don't think it really matters...just FYI)I am really leaning towards the '07. I would need to replace the suspension, curse these short legs. I have already gotten lots of feedback from the group about that. I do come from 'the cruiser world' (again, curse these short legs), a few Sportsters and a 2002 Heritage Springer(my baby, very sparkly and shiny). I have done my share of riding in the dirt when I was young(er) so, I'm used to the one foot on the ground thing. I think I am stronger than the average chick and won't have any problems keeping an RT upright, especially if I lower it some. I also do all the oil changes and the simple maint. on all of my bikes. Valve adjustments don't sound that difficult. Still trying to decide exactly which brand of shocks (no ESA)...Again thanks!

I think I'm in love!

:grin:

At lease one review that I read indicated that the 2007 will be slightly smoother than the 2010. That with easy valve adjustments would sway me towards the 2007 model.

kmac, no need to be sorry. You couldnt have known I am not a man. I dont usually say so because people talk to you differently, especially about mechanical things, when they know your a woman. I do it myself to other women! I think after reading many posts on this forum I am going with Ohlins or Wilburs. Not much on the negative side to be heard about either. Thanks again, Kelly

ps. I am not an RN but, a Veterinary Tech. (might as well clear everything up).

JOHNNYWISHBONE

DSC00241.jpg

there is more to it than valvetrain. i didn't care for the cost at all. but i knew what i required in a bike. you can't ride money. the big guy is my younger brother. i just gave him the /5. he dresses funny. SCAN0001.jpg

Give Miss Orman a call. You'll have to let us know so we can listen in! :grin:

I like Johnny's thought on this "you can't ride money" but, I guess a mortage is kinda important too.

Pat

Dennis Andress

.... you can't ride money. ....

I like that. You should come out to Torrey with us in May.

Why get an RT and leave perfectly good horsepower on the dealer's floor?

781931920_iP5k3-L.jpg

kmac, no need to be sorry. You couldnt have known I am not a man. I dont usually say so because people talk to you differently, especially about mechanical things, when they know your a woman. I do it myself to other women! I think after reading many posts on this forum I am going with Ohlins or Wilburs. Not much on the negative side to be heard about either. Thanks again, Kelly

ps. I am not an RN but, a Veterinary Tech. (might as well clear everything up).

Once again....DOHHH. I never claim to be bright. :rofl:

Well we still have something in common...my name is Kelly....

I will try not to talk to you any different than I would any guy.

Aluminum_Butt

Another alternative...

Wait for an 08 or 09 (or even a 10) with 3-5K miles. They are out there. A quick check of Blue Book values indicates it'll cost you $1000 - $1500 per model year.

But, like the others, I'd also go with the 07 over the 11.

(start sarcasm) You might hold out for the 2015 model year where BMW may extract an additional 3 more HP and 4 ft. lbs of torque from the agricultural boxer twin. Unfortunately valve adjustments will require a "dealer only" service for $1000.00 every 3000 miles. (end sarcasm) :/

The 2007 would be more bike than all of us individually can ever enjoy. The only thing good about "new bikes" is they smell better and YOU get to break them in the way YOU want to.

Save the extra money, put some of it in lowered shocks, and pocket the rest.

Now, if you just won $48,000,000.00 in the lotto,.... :grin:

I just got my first BMW in September. It's the 2007, and I love it already! The "new" model with the same equipment was almost 10K more, not counting the cost of a bigger loan!

Get the lower shocks, put the seat on the "low" setting and ride. I've doubled the miles on the bike since I got it, over 16K now, and it still is fun. I'm now looking for an excuse (and time) to ride for 1,500 miles in two days.

I DID test ride the new bike, and there is almost NO difference between it and the '07.

I'm now looking for an excuse (and time) to ride for 1,500 miles in two days.

That is the best thing about the BMW. I met a guy the other day and he knows some Harley riders. They must not ride much because he thought that the 7,000 miles on my 2007 RT was a lot! I told him that could be had in a couple weeks, easily.

I don't think he believed me.

They must not ride much because he thought that the 7,000 miles on my 2007 RT was a lot! I told him that could be had in a couple weeks, easily.
I did 7300 miles last July in 18 days. And 8 of those days were spent sight-seeing on the east coast.

NonComp - you are awesome! I wish I could not work long enough to do that. It is in the works! I am currently planning a long weekend ride to Crater Lake and Modoc County (OR and CA).

NonComp - you are awesome! I wish I could not work long enough to do that. It is in the works! I am currently planning a long weekend ride to Crater Lake and Modoc County (OR and CA).

All you have to do is plan a two week vacation to ride to a Eastern USA UNrally. I do my two week/7.000 mile rides when the UNrally is in the West.

It was a trip born of necessity. I'm on the west coast and wanted to meet up with friends on the east coast, but only had 3 weeks vacation. So had to get it done. Average was about 600 miles per day. Longest day was 730 miles. Enjoyed every minute and would do it again. :)

OK ... I am a bit late to this party but the '07 for sure! Cash vs. a loan?? CASH always wins. Simple rule ... "never finance your toys". Also, buying slightly used is just smart! If you buy new you will lose at least $4000 just driving it off the dealer lot ... probably more. The '07 will be wonderful and you will have no loan payments to worry about. In addition if for some reason you decide a BMW is not for you ... selling the '07 will cost you little.

Good luck!

7300 in three weeks is EASY! I did 7200 in 13 days on a 1979 Yamaha XS1100 Standard in 2006! All it takes is a few short days to get used to it, and then off you go!

The BMW is MUCH nicer for putting on the miles, but it's also 30 years newer! :thumbsup:

Archived