IGNORED

Computer questions, PC.

Couchrocket

OK, so....

Does running a registry "fixer" program really produce any benefit on a PC? (Vista Home Premium 64 bit)

If so, any recommendations on specific programs from the computer experts among us?

And, while I'm at it, how about spy-ware, ad-ware programs?

I use AVG 11 "free version" anti-virus, which seems to work well (no obvious problems), but am wondering if there is other routine scanning / fixing / tuning that would help. It seems as though every time Microsoft issues a new security update, my computer takes longer and longer to boot up (as in turn it on, go get coffee, hit the head... w/ time to spare before it is fully "ALIVE!").

Thanks in advance for any insight recommendations, enlightenment, etc. :grin:

Scott

Another vote here for CCleaner. I run it about once a week. It's quick and easy and won't do stuff to the registry it shouldn't oughta. (The 'C" in CCleaner stands for "CrapCleaner" by the way.).

Jerry Johnston

There are two (free) registry programs I like. NTRegopt which will compress and remove bad lines and WTRegcleaner.

Prevention is better than cure. So while all these tools have their place, IMHO, the first approach should be to reduce the clutter. Here's some best practices I follow:

In your browser,

- Don't allow 3rd party cookies.

- Don't allow popups.

- Don't allow downloads to automatically run.

- Clean up cache, cookies, etc. after you close the browser. This will make you login everytime, but it's worth it to me.

- Open a new URL in a new window. Don't reuse an existing window.

On your PC,

- Get rid of all unwanted Startup programs. There's a lot of stuff that come preloaded.

- Shut down all services that you don't use. There's lot of stuff that's automatically on. If you have a doubt, write down the settings before and after.

In your email,

- Just ignore your spam folder.

- Don't ever click on items from an unknown source, no matter how inviting the subject reads.

- Never run any download directly from email without knowing the source.

- Don't click on links, especially financial links. Type the know URL instead.

Watch the memory counter (after a fresh boot) before you do any of these changes and compare it afterwards. While not all of the above recommendations target memory, the difference should make you smile.

And the best prevention is to DUMP WINDOWS and go Ubuntu.

And the best prevention is to DUMP WINDOWS and go Ubuntu.

All of AviP's recommendations are good, this one especially, if you're willing to tinker (if you own a boxer, and do your own maintenance, you qualify).

Re Ubuntu specifically: Acer AA1 netbook, 2gb RAM, 32Gb solid state drive; 30 seconds from POST to Wi-Fi connection, 4 seconds shutdown, most programs load in 2 seconds, 21Gb free space after 2 years of use. A netbook with an Atom N270 processor is pretty far from high-end equipment. No virus protection (installed or needed). The last time I had a virus was on a pre-Mac OS X computer in 1992. $$ spent on Linux software since 2009: $0

Archived