IGNORED

'09 R1200RT Shock(s) Shot @ 21k Miles

Boxtop

Bike has ESA.

In turns, paticularly sweepers with more than moderate lean angle, the bike bounces and wanders all over the place. It didn't used to do this. It used to be stuck to the road.

I'm thinking one or both shocks are worn out. I'm planning to replace both.

Could this be anything other than a shock problem? Tires seem fine.

I can go ESA (Works Performance, Wilburs) or abandon the ESA. If I abandon the ESA, I'll probably go Ohlins, because I've been very satisfied with their stuff in the past. Would love to hear opinions from guys that have been down this road.

I liked the ESA adjustable preload for carrying a passenger, but I never really used the adjustable damping, except to check that it was still working. 99% of the time, I just left it on "Sport."

If I abandon the ESA, do I have to do anything in particular with the ESA wiring beyond just leaving it disconnected?

I had ESA on my '06 RT, but switched to Ohlins in 2009. While ESA was convenient, especially for adjusting the rear preload (I ride two-up a fair bit), the cost of OEM ESA struts was ridiculous (I was not interested in having new shocks/springs grafted onto my original motors). I made the switch at the MOA Rally and it could not have been more convenient, and fast (including proper setup by Ohlins USA reps onsite). The installer (a BMW-trained tech), simply taped up the wires he unplugged from the struts. You see nothing on the bike's display, but they will throw fault codes which show up when either a dealer, or someone with a GS-911, plugs in to the bike.

I had ESA on my '06 RT, but switched to Ohlins in 2009. While ESA was convenient, especially for adjusting the rear preload (I ride two-up a fair bit), the cost of OEM ESA struts was ridiculous (I was not interested in having new shocks/springs grafted onto my original motors). I made the switch at the MOA Rally and it could not have been more convenient, and fast (including proper setup by Ohlins USA reps onsite). The installer (a BMW-trained tech), simply taped up the wires he unplugged from the struts. You see nothing on the bike's display, but they will throw fault codes which show up when either a dealer, or someone with a GS-911, plugs in to the bike.

Just curious, at what mileage did you replace your OEM bits and for others at approximately what mileage did you feel the need to replace yours?

THANKS,

08RT

Just curious, at what mileage did you replace your OEM bits and for others at approximately what mileage did you feel the need to replace yours?

THANKS,

08RT

I had about 80,000 kms (about 50,000 miles) when I made the switch. When I was riding down to Tennessee (for the MOA Rally) I was two-up and fully loaded, and thought the bike felt a little "spongy" for my liking. That said, it's not like it was a critical situation. If I recall, the total cost for Ohlins (parts/installation & setup/TN sales tax) was about $1,800 USD. Just the two ESA struts (no labour) would have cost $4,200 CDN at the time (2009).

Bike has ESA.

In turns, paticularly sweepers with more than moderate lean angle, the bike bounces and wanders all over the place. It didn't used to do this. It used to be stuck to the road.

I'm thinking one or both shocks are worn out. I'm planning to replace both.

Could this be anything other than a shock problem? Tires seem fine.

I can go ESA (Works Performance, Wilburs) or abandon the ESA. If I abandon the ESA, I'll probably go Ohlins, because I've been very satisfied with their stuff in the past. Would love to hear opinions from guys that have been down this road.

I liked the ESA adjustable preload for carrying a passenger, but I never really used the adjustable damping, except to check that it was still working. 99% of the time, I just left it on "Sport."

If I abandon the ESA, do I have to do anything in particular with the ESA wiring beyond just leaving it disconnected?

You should still be under warranty. I would think you can get them fixed because....

Have you spoken to Ted at the BeemerShop (beemershop.com) down in Scotts Valley? They seem to be an excellent resource regarding BMW shock issues.

i switch from the factory ESA shocks as soon as I bought the bike.

I have owned 6 R1200RTs/ GS and have experienced stock , Ohlins and Wilburs non ESA..

The quality of the after market shocks is immediately felt. I choose to go with a properly sprung shock for my weight and riding style and find that I do not need electrical adjustment this way and can enjoy the quality ride.

If the stock shocks are properly sprung for your weight then you may be happy with the stock units.

I replaced my stock ESA shocks at 30K miles. The sweet spot for their performance was from about 12K miles to 25K miles.

I replaced with Ohlins.

The missing ESA shocks do throw non-displaying error codes.

However, if desired, your dealer can do a software adjustment to disable ESA, thereby permanently eliminating the error codes.

(I had this done on mine).

Dave_zoom_zoom

Plus 1 on the changeover to Ohlins!

I'm very happy with my Ohlins.

Dave

Interesting that riders have replaced their shocks right from the get go all the way to 70,000 miles - big spread.

I have a little over 34,000 miles on my OEM ESA shocks and started to notice a decrease in performance when my riding season ended this winter.

Have read lot's of good things about non OEM aftermarket options; having said that the on the fly adjustments is a nice feature that when the time comes for replacement will come into play during my decision making process.

On average how long do Ohlins, Wilbers, etc. last mileage wise before they require re-building or replacement?

THANKS,

08RT

Paul In Australia

Replaced OEM ESA at 45k miles with Wilbur non esa. Very happy. The OEM rer had started leaking and the bike was out of warranty.

Noticeable difference in performance. ESA shocks were good when new, but after about 30k miles dropped off pretty quickly.

The recommendation is the wilburs be re built every 25k miles.

regards

paul

ON my '05 R1200GS at 40.000 miles I replaced the stock shocks with Wilbers. The stocks were still OK but I wanted to take them off while they are still usable. My bike now has 130K miles - 90K on the Wilbers shocks! The rear developed a oil leak at 20K, repaired under warranty, 70K since then. No leaks and no signs of wear. I just took them off today and sent them for refreshing - seals and recharging. I bought them from Ted Porter/beemershop, a good friend and excellent service, but I sent them to Wheels and Wings/hermanusa.com in Edgewater FL. They promise a two day turnaround and shipping is faster/cheaper to/from Florida than California.

Paul,

Herman refreshed my Wilbers after 50k on them.

He did excellent work, delivered when promised.

Highly recommend him for Wilbers replacement and maintenance.

He knows the owner and has trained at the factory.

Thanks for all the responses. Has anyone actually been successful at getting BMW to replace worn ESA shocks under warranty?

I figured this would be classified as a wear item, like tires, and that it would be "no dice" with BMW, but I haven't really tried.

I realize that an aftermarket suspension would almost certainly be superior, but if BMW would cooperate warranty wise, and I could get back to an OK suspension and hang on to my $1 to $2k for another couple of years, that would be an attractive option.

Archived