IGNORED

Weather Station Systems/Hardware Help

Mike O

I'm looking to get a couple of weather stations. Requirements are pretty simple; reasonable accuracy and range (-40F to 110F), wind speed to 100MPH, and the other usual suspects, barometric pressure, wind chill, etc. Should have an LCD panel of some sort indoors and be able to interface with my computer (Windoze or Linux based software). I would also like to monitor and potentially register data with Weather Underground.

I've found several that are candidates including

Oregon Scientific WMR200A

31l2%2B-4yDxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

and Davis Instruments 6250

41qoEqp%2B7DL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Any help in selecting these or other models appreciated. Are these overkill or could I get by with lessor models?

Regards,

Mike O

I have no expertise to offer, but I'll be interested in your final decision. I've long had a burning desire . . . probably totally illogical . . . to have a personal weather station.

purchased a davis about one year ago. wireless, vantage vue. it's excellent for my needs. may need to move up a model for the internet applications.

I've got two--both Davis Instruments. They upgraded the model I have and it's been flawless. In both cases. Here's the weather at home:

http://www.weatherlink.com/user/nashville/

Here's the weather at the cabin:

http://www.weatherlink.com/user/monteagle/

Be sure you click the "summary" tab underneath. Here it is for Monteagle:

http://www.weatherlink.com/user/monteagle/index.php?view=summary&headers=1

It gives lots more data, including telling me that it's 57 degrees inside (meaning the propane tank ain't empty).

Both stations report to Weather Underground, and the neighbors get a kick out of supremely accurate weather practically in their back yard. I can get you some pictures of the setup if you're interested,

I have an slightly earlier version of the Oregon Scientific unit you mentioned. (WMR968)

It has worked well for at least 4 years and provides everything I need. Lots of data on file going back to the day one when I got it.

I interface with an old laptop using a free program (you can download it)called FreeWX-WI Weather Monitoring V1.01. Much easier to see all the current data than on the units main display.

Good luck!

Bernd

David,

Which model Davis unit did you acquire? And which software package? There appears to be an abundance of choices.

Davis has an interesting business model. Unlike most other manufacturers, they sell a 'higher end' weather station (with pretty good specs). However, they depart from the others by NOT including software with their weather stations and charge/sell it as an addition to the hardware. In particular, I note that they've separated out even minor functionality (like email alert) into a chargeable feature.

Regards,

Mike O

I installed a La Crosse Technology WS-2350 wireless weather station a few years ago, mainly to get a measure of rainfall and wind speed. Almost immediately spiders started building their home in the rain gauge, making the tilting mechanism in it useless. About a year ago all 4 plastic cups on the anemometer broke off, so the wind speed is permanently 0.0 km/h.

If I get another one it will be with a metal anemometer. And the rain gauge will somehow have to be spider-proof.

I have an slightly earlier version of the Oregon Scientific unit you mentioned. (WMR968)
I have one of those too and it's been reporting for 6 years now without problems. A wind guage that actually works to 100 mph is probably going to be expensive, mine seems unreliable much over 30mph now, I expect the bearings have worn out. My rain guage was useless because the collector isn't big enough for the minimal amount of precip we normally get. In the winter you will neeed a heated one or it will just jam up with snow. Mine reports to Weather Underground every few seconds, zip code 84773 station Torrey, Torrey.

Really ~ $400.00 to know the weather, either stick your head out the door or get an App for your phone, or listen to the radio or turn on the weather channel. How, one might ask, does knowing the weather change what you are doing, the minute you get outside you know whether you are over or underdressed, if it is windy or not. What did your parents or grandparents do?

Really ~ $400.00 to know the weather, either stick your head out the door or get an App for your phone, or listen to the radio or turn on the weather channel. How, one might ask, does knowing the weather change what you are doing, the minute you get outside you know whether you are over or underdressed, if it is windy or not. What did your parents or grandparents do?

Pat,

Thanks for your helpful response :P

I have a cabin at 9300'. And if I don't happen to be there, presents a bit of a problem to "stick your head out the door. And yes, it does affect "what you are doing..." (recently hit -35F). But since you're volunteering to help pay for it (you seem to think you know what the value of me spending $400 on something is), maybe you could offer a solution besides resurrecting my grandparents to sit at my cabin?

Mike O

Mike,

Now that you've more clearly identified your need, I would ask, waht will you do with the data?

If the cabin is elsewhere, and at altitude, will the data be used to determine whether or not you need to go there (how far/long is it away) to do/prevent something?

Used to determine...?

Just curious.

I know you can get extreme winter weather, but isn't the cabin winterized?

Or is there something else that is sort of do as needed you're concerned with?

Best wishes.

Mike,

Now that you've more clearly identified your need, I would ask, waht will you do with the data?

If the cabin is elsewhere, and at altitude, will the data be used to determine whether or not you need to go there (how far/long is it away) to do/prevent something?

Used to determine...?

Just curious.

I know you can get extreme winter weather, but isn't the cabin winterized?

Or is there something else that is sort of do as needed you're concerned with?

Best wishes.

Hey Tim...

If by 'winterizing' you mean the traditional, empty the plumbing, button up the place, turn off the heat and return in the spring....No. We use it year round (including last weekend during a -5F spell). We do take some measures such as shutting the well pump off when we leave (in the event of a freeze water damage would be contained to that within the pressure tank) and leave the place heated. The challenge where we are at is the 'remote-ness' of the location (hey it's a 'cabin'), and the weather varies wildly (+/- 20F) within just a few miles. Yes, it's a distance but one we can get to in less than a couple of hours, so if I suspect something is unusual (such as the recent -35F) I'll have some means of knowing weather conditions (I haven't seen the cast of The Weather Channel wondering around the mountain lately;). Can I prevent a freeze? Absolutely not... Can I prevent further damage...certainly or at least react sooner.

With any luck, nothing will be needed and the Weather Station will be a novelty.

Mike O

I spent $500 on mine and it's only 100 feet from where I sit. It's a hobby, I enjoy looking at the historical records, supplying the feed to my web site and to Weather Underground etc. I also enjoy looking at it online when I'm away somewhere.

Have you never spent money on a hobby?

In my case it was partly an attempt to find whether a wind generator would be viable, and, if so, what specifications and generation profile would be required.

And partly to measure precipitation at a site which, due to location, does not receive the same amount of rainfall as any of the published sites. At times we get about twice the amount of rain as the official site about 15km away.

My parents used a manual rain gauge, as I do now. But it's not very practical when I'm away for several days at a time.

Patallaire,

I had an epiphany a couple of years ago. I could not figure out why my female coworkers spend so much time and effort on buying clothes, and why they elect only to buy clothes from certain expensive designer lines. Eventually it dawned on me: they do that for the same reason I cheer for my local football team, camp in a fibreglass trailer, rode a BMW (when the Honda was arguably better and definitely cheaper), watch science and science fiction tv, train dogs, read Harry Potter, etc. I do these things, those women buy their fashions, and some guys have weather stations because it interests them.

The epiphany, though, is that condemning or mocking somebody else's hobby is not a nice thing to do. I have tried to stop doing that.

On a related note, when Evel Kneivel died, I posted about it here. I found myself unexpectedly moved by the news. Some other people wrote uncomplimentary things about the man in this forum, and I resented it.

But I was guilty of the same crime when I wrote some uncomplimentary things abour Richard Feynman in a thread in which some people were remembering him fondly. I regret having done that.

What I am getting at is it is impolite (at best) to knock somebody's interests.

How cool ( :/) to have a retreat like that available.

Hope you find a solution that works.

We're willing to stay there and call you if there is a problem.

:grin:

I like the idea of the personal weather stations, and for the mountain cabin it seems like an excellent idea. I understand the hobby part, the gadget part, etc. I live in the city, and can pull up numerous PWSs within close proximity of my house on Wunderground. Because I have such accurate data available almost all the time in my laptop, I"ve not bothered to get one for my own use.

And Ron? Well said.

Well after much research and some feedback here, I located the following sites as very valuable in arriving at a decision:

Weather Forums

(Kinda like us BMW geeks but for weather hobby related info)

The following comparison guide to hardware

Weather Station Comparison Guide

And after a bit more research I'm going make an initial investment in the following:

Davis Instruments Vantage Vue 6250

productshm_image.jpg

It has been widely and positively reviewed. What compelled me to to go this direction from a specification perspective was the sensor refresh rate (2.5 secs), the wide variety of add on support components and broad software support. Initially I will be getting the Vantage Vue less any particular software package as I want to gain a bit of experience with the product after which I will make a determination as to use either a direct connect PC to monitor and collect weather data (less expensive) or to get the dedicated ethernet linked mode.

Thanks for your insights...

Regards,

Mike O

That's what I have, and I've really enjoyed it. They make great stuff.

At the cabin, I have it mounted high on the roof on a tripod. At home, I have it mounted on a 25' pole that's hinged at the base in case I ever need to mess with it.

...At the cabin, I have it mounted high on the roof on a tripod.
The hinged pole is a good idea. However, at 9300' (for my mountain place) if I mount this 'high on the roof', I'll have to add a red aircraft beacon as well ;)

Mike O

I think you're really going to enjoy the device. When we aren't at the cabin, I particularly like being able to monitor the interior temperature. That tells me if the large underground tank has run out of propane, a tree has fallen and breached a window, etc. Last night after the break-in, I monitored the internal temperature and saw that the system was keeping up.

Neighbors LOVE getting really accurate data, too, and close by. It's a great reason to reach out to them.

Incidentally, if you go the Ethernet route, you don't have to make any changes in your router (like opening up a port). It simply broadcasts the data at set intervals through a wired EtherNet connection.

The complete spec sheet can be found - here.

From the spec sheet:

Wind Speed

Resolution and units.................................................. 1 mph, 1 km/h, 0.5 m/s, or 1 knot (user-selectable)

Range........................................................................ 2 to 180 mph, 2 to 156 knots, 1 to 80 m/s, 3 to 290 km/h

Update Interval .......................................................... Instant Reading: 2.5 to 3 seconds, 10-minute Average: 1 minute

Accuracy.................................................................... ±2 mph (2 kts, 3 km/h, 1 m/s) or ±5%, whichever is greater

Current Data

The other specification that was most useful in not only gaining accuracy was the interval or sample rate. It's 2.5 secs. Most other units were 10's of secs to almost a minute. I don't know as much about Torrey wind bursts, but ours don't generally (and I hope they never do) last much more than a few seconds. To get an accurate reading you have to have a fairly fast sample rate.

Having said all this, would it be able to hold up in a tornado or hurricane? I doubt it but then other manufacturers probably wouldn't fair any better.

Mike O

Archived