IGNORED

Another Lane Sharing Post, now with examples

skinny_tom (aka boney)

CoarsegoldKid

Personally, this is one of my two "worst nightmare" situations.

I agree. I would still be downing 600mg ibuprofen daily weeks later for back and neck issues.

He may or may not have had a bright flashing brake light or hi vis jacket. Lane sharing might have been his only proactive move. At least the lady stopped. When driving in city traffic one must grow eyes in the back of their head.

The video shows what riders should not be doing. Do not stop directly behind traffic that stops ahead. Instead, offset in the lane and hug the extreme right or left wheel position. If you see a threat in your six, feel free to filter or lane split forward to safety. Don't become the meat of a cage sandwich.

Hard to believe this occurred in SF, all bikes lane split for survival in this city.

As for the second video, do not pull in front of a vehicle that appears to be fleeing after colliding with you. You simply become an appetizing target for a second collision to take you out.

Language barriers are normal in Ca.

Cops (department policy) in many cities do not investigate non-injury collisions. When in doubt, claim an injury to force the responding LEO to investigate the collision.

Just my observations here...

I think the guy that got rear-ended stopped too close to the car in front of him. When you stop that close you start to blend in with the car.

The second guy, that got his foot ran over, it was definitely the drivers fault, but rider might have done something to help protect himself. It seems his right foot got ran over. Not faulting him, but if he would have had his foot on the brake, his brake light would have been on helping him to be seen and maybe keeping his foot from getting ran over as well. Still the driver was a jerk. He had to know he hit him. Can't believe the cops didn't take him in for hit and run. I'm not sure I would have chased the guy. Maybe just long enough to get the license plate number.

So a good thing might be to stop in the left tire track at lights, leave plenty of distance between you and the car in front, and keep you foot on the break. That's what I'm going to do in the future....

I'm not sure I would have chased the guy. Maybe just long enough to get the license plate number.

So a good thing might be to stop in the left tire track at lights, leave plenty of distance between you and the car in front, and keep you foot on the break. That's what I'm going to do in the future....

Besides foot on brake, transmission should be in first ready to go.

Getting a tag number in Ca doesn't mean much anymore. Most driver's inclined to leave the scene of an accident are either driving a car that does not belong to them and/or are driving a car they own but did not bother registering in their name. If you are already breaking he law, why bother with trivia issues like registration, insurance and heaven forbid, a valid driver's license?

Sorry for the cynicism but I pulled over 8 cars in the last two days. Five were driving with suspended licenses, one of several motives for fleeing a hit and run.

Cops can't "take him in" for a non-injury hit and run. It's a misdemeanor committed outside the presence of an officer. A citizen has to make a citizens arrest for cops to arrest.

When in doubt, claim an injury to force the responding LEO to investigate the collision.

Bob,

I usually pretty much agree with your postings but on this occasion, I'm disappointed in you. By telling a motorist to claim an injury when none of the parties are, just to get an LEO to respond is wrong. You are encouraging motorists to lie to the police. I would suggest you re-read Vehicle Code Sections 20 and 31 again.

I would wager a goodly sum that the main thing every LEO on this forum and elsewhere hates more than anything is being lied to. Collisions happen. It’s a fact of life all of the motoring public needs to grasp. Claiming an injury when there isn’t one may get an LEO response the motorist isn’t expecting; namely jail for providing a false statement.

If during the course of a non-injury collision, the other motorist flees, or refuses to provide the pertinent information as required by law; by all means call the police as the collision can now be considered a hit and run.

Claiming an injury causes all sorts of other resources like fire and paramedic units to be mustered when there is no need. Fire and paramedic units usually respond Code 3 thus placing themselves and other motorists at heightened risks. Those resources may be needed elsewhere.

Just my $.02, but I've been wrong before.

dba

I have to disagree with that. I think we are talking about a foot that was run over by an auto. There were tire marks across the boot.

When that happens, and the car takes off, the adrenalin rushes. And confuses the person.

They do not and cannot know if there are broken bones in that foot until the x ray says one way or another.

And there may well be some serious broken bones.

There are many examples of people being shot and not realizing it right away, due to adrenalin and excitement.

So when there is clear evidence of an injury, state injury until it is ruled out.

If you read some of the comments, they said take $100 and forget it.

The doctor and the surgery bill may be a tad bigger than that.

dc

Joe Frickin' Friday
dba

I have to disagree with that. I think we are talking about a foot that was run over by an auto. There were tire marks across the boot.

When that happens, and the car takes off, the adrenalin rushes. And confuses the person.

They do not and cannot know if there are broken bones in that foot until the x ray says one way or another.

And there may well be some serious broken bones.

I think Bob's "when in doubt" covers it nicely. If you're absolutely certain you are not injured, then don't call it in as an injury accident. If you think you may have been injured - that is, when you are in doubt as to whether it was a non-injury accident - play it safe: call it in as an injury accident, get checked out. When making the initial call, it's probably worth explaining that your injuries are not life-threatening. Maybe this will eliminate a potentially hazardous rush arrival by the EMT's?

Thanks for the support. It wasn't my intention to support lying about an injury to make an officer take a collision report. Many people claim they have "complaint of pain" injuries at a collision but decline EMS treatment at the scene. If they do want EMS treatment for "pain" injuries, the ambulance requested "code 2" without lights and sirens. Those who complain of pain are still listed as injured on the collision report. Whether they are lying or not is not for me to say, I'm not a doctor.

Many people are "conditioned" to claim injuries at collisions because they/we are in a very litigious culture where monetary compensation for their "injury" is their intent. Whether they are lying about the injury is something for the doctors, attorney's, juries and judges to decide.

It is an expectation that people make false statements at a collision scene. We are a society who does not accept responsibility for their actions. Arresting someone for making a false statement about an injury isn't going to happen. How does the officer know or prove it is a lie?

If you say you are injured, that's good enough for me..even if I have my personal doubts about your truthfulness.

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Thanks for the support. It wasn't my intention to support lying about an injury to make an officer take a collision report. Many people claim they have "complaint of pain" injuries at a collision but decline EMS treatment at the scene. If they do want EMS treatment for "pain" injuries, the ambulance requested "code 2" without lights and sirens. Those who complain of pain are still listed as injured on the collision report. Whether they are lying or not is not for me to say, I'm not a doctor.

Many people are "conditioned" to claim injuries at collisions because they/we are in a very litigious culture where monetary compensation for their "injury" is their intent. Whether they are lying about the injury is something for the doctors, attorney's, juries and judges to decide.

It is an expectation that people make false statements at a collision scene. We are a society who does not accept responsibility for their actions. Arresting someone for making a false statement about an injury isn't going to happen. How does the officer know or prove it is a lie?

If you say you are injured, that's good enough for me..even if I have my personal doubts about your truthfulness.

...and let me add that I've sent many people to the hospital in an ambulance when I'm pretty sure the only thing that hurts is their "insurance bone." But like it was said above, who am I to make that decision?

I'm not going to give anyone advice other than "use your best judgment."

• 4 weeks later...

Things to keep in mind if involved in a traffic collision in California and police is summoned:

1. The police officer that shows up may not be experienced in handling traffic collision calls (patrol officers, as opposed to traffic officers, often do not handle a large volume of traffic collisions and thus are often not as well trained/experienced in this area - sad, but true).

2. The State of California only requires Police Agencies to document INJURY traffic collisions, thus many agencies will not document non-injury traffic collisions.

3. If an information exchange can be completed following a collision, which started as a PROPERTY DAMAGE ONLY hit-and-run, no hit-and-run charges will be filed.

4. Felony hit-and-run will only be charged by the D.A.'s Office (at least in Los Angeles) if there is SERIOUS bodily injury (broken bones, etc.), not for COMPLAINT OF PAIN hit-and-run.

5. Hit-and-run does not decide who is at fault. You can still be found at fault for a traffic collision, even if the other party commits the hit-and-run violation following the collision.

If a police officer does show up at your NON-INJURY traffic collision scene:

1. Ask for assistance in facilitating the information exchange.

2. Politely ask for the officer's name. Keep in mind that some officers automatically think that asking for their name means that you're going to complain about them, so explain that you would like to have it for you insurance company. Or better yet, tell them you'd like their name, so you can call their Watch Commander to tell him/her what a great help they were :grin:.

• 2 weeks later...

How did the guy who got hit not kill the guy in the car. I think I would have beat the sh#t out of him for running and then had him arrested for trying to run.

Archived