IGNORED

new to group

james Robinson

james Robinson

Hey Folks- I am honored to have just joined this wonderful site and am looking forward to learning a lot from you. I am an attorney from down south in the U.S and have ridden all my life. I am in my mid-forties. I have owned just about every bike except a Harley and a BMW. I have taken many trips across the U.S and travel light and fast, sometimes only a credit card and a tooth brush (o.k maybe just a little more). All my trips have been solo as it is hard to find friends who are willing to just take off and go. On July 16 of this year, I am leaving Birmingham, Alabama, and am going to try to ride to the Arctic Circle, probably via Dawson, but that may change. I will do this on a BMW, but have not decided on the exact model to purchase. I hope this site will help me make the important decision as to which bike I should buy! I will read and learn as much as I can using the search engine and reading posts before asking any specific questions. Thanks for allowing me to become apart of this online communtiy and I look forward to future meaningful discussions about riding BMW sport-touring bikes. I will tell you a little more about my trip and a major reason behind this challenge at a more appropriate time. James

Wecome!

Depending on the route you take you can ride anything you want.

Make is comfortable on yourself.

You can take anything from a LT to an X/Country.

Dawson is great in the Summer time.

The Dempster really depends on the weather. If it's dry you can have a nice relaxing ride. If it rains, it don't matter what you are on it's gonna me an adventure.

Look forward to hearing from ya as you go through the process.

Whip

Welcome to the board. You'll find that there are quite a few of us that have done the Alaska thing and all have differing opinions. The single bigest wild-card is the weather. If you do the Arctic Circle or beyond, clear weather; it's easy, wet weather, it's a very difficult. One common thread is fuel supply. Make sure you have a big tank or carry extra fuel. Not too many gas stations and if you hit one closed, it can be a very long way to the next.

James, welcome to this asylum. Thank you for telling us a bit about yourself and about your plans. This is a rare and appreciated action. Wishing all the best for your riding plans. I'm sure you'll find a lot of help from here.

Welcome James,

Great site here, it has helped me alot.

If you are set on a BMW, and that is a fine choice IMHO, I love the RT model, very comfy on the long haul and yet still sportyer than say a Gold wing.

To Alaska I would consider a GS and do the road to Barrow which is a long gravel road but it goes above the arctic circle, very cool. An F800GS is nice, I liked the R1200GSA I test rode a while back, and with some seat work I could put alot of miles on one.

A K1300LT is super comfy like riding a couch that is riding on a cloud.

Welcome again.

Hi James, welcome to the board! :wave:

I don't have any constructive advice regarding your proposed trip, so I'll just sit back and learn something myself.

Welcome James.

I'm in Montgomery for a long term assignment. Going to try to get my RT out here by April. We'll have to get together for a ride down the road.

The Alaska trip sounds fun, but I guess I've gotten old. All I can think about is how much my back would hurt 6 hours into the ride. :grin: But if you've got the time, money, and health, get-er-going!

- Scott

Welcome aboard. Sounds like an interesting and enjoyable plan. I've never ridden in Alaska so I'll leave the bike choice to others. I have been down a few forest dirt roads in the Northeast with my RT and it's not a problem as long as it's dry. In the mud, I'd rather be riding something else.

Welcome from another "newby". I think the RT would be fine to Alaska as long as you have a second set of tires. The 6+ gallon tank is nice, as you can get over 300 miles IF you keep the speed down.

Proper riding gear, including heated, should be all you need!

Archived