IGNORED

Norton Anti-Virus Question

RT66Rider

My 6 year old XP equipped machine recently died a violent death, maybe 1 week after I renewed my NAV subscription for another year.

I have a Samsung RF-510-S02 on order, and I am wondering if I will be able to salvage my NAV subscription ???

Anyone ever run into this situation ?

TIA

NOD32 is highly rated, as is Kapersky AV.

I use a free (for personal use) program.

It uses the Kapersky engine.

Do a Google on AVAST AV and you can download it for free. You DO have to register with your name and email address but I think it works great!

Try it, you may like.

That's quite a machine!

I use Microsoft Security Essentials on my 3 W7 machines. It's free, and usually much less bothersome than Norton 360. N360 is available free from my ISP, but I prefer MSE since it is usually quiet.

However, now, for the first time, I tried to use the native back up utility in W7, and between that, the file structure of W7, and MSE, it didn't work. Very frustrating. My first real complaint with W7 and MSE after 15 months of use.

To be clear, N360 includes back up, and MSE does not. However, the W7 on your new machine includes it's own back up utility (if it works for you being another question).

The same situation with Firewall. The W7 firewall works fine though.

Altogether you can get the same level of protection.

Some of the other free programs are highly rated, but I don't like that they stick advertising in your emails.

I can't imagine that you can't just re-install your NAV though. Should be able to redownload it if necessary. The only vendor I have ever had an issue with is Garmin, who only allows one download (burn it to CD or back it up). Most everyone else has some means of re-downloading.

When I used NAV years ago, I upgraded and it slowed my computer to a crawl. Never again NAV.

No doubt.

I run no Anti-Virus software. I log onto the internet as a 'Restricted User', never as the 'Administrator'..Never a problem (knock on wood). Works that way for me on an XP machine and a Windows 2000...The rare times something has tried to load onto my machine, a warning comes up, stating that you do not have the 'Administrative Priveledge' (or something like that) to do so, and I just click OK and continue on my merry way.

I am also another satisfied user of Microsoft Security Essentials. I am running it on five different PCs at home. MSE uses minimal system resources, updates in the background, and simply "stays out of the way" unless you encounter a threat.

On several occasions, MSE has caught and blocked an actual threat (not a false positive). No anti-virus package is infallible, but given MSE's price (free), it is a good choice.

Another thing to consider, if you are worried about your PC's security, is to run the Firefox browser along with an add-in called NoScript (which prevents JavaScript running on web pages you visit, unless you specifically authorize the scripts). I run this when browsing on web sites that I do not trust (otherwise, I am using the Google Chrome browser).

My two cents worth....your mileage may vary.

Here's my strategy:

Download Firefox (browser) and never use Internet Explorer. I removed the shortcut from the desktop so no one can use it (IE). I had so much trouble with malware until I started using Firefox. Now, nothing.

I also use a free anti-virus software called Avast . It works well and does not nag you and hog resources like NAV and McAfee.

Thanks for the responses.

My new machine came with 60 days worth of NAV, after that I think I'll give Microsoft Security Essentials a try.

But according to the MS website, it may conflict with other Anti-Virus software, so it advises you to uninstall them.

Aluminum_Butt

First of all, run something. While browsing causes most problems for people these days, viruses can come from other sources (email, thumb drives).

I personally avoid the "all around 360" products that do everything from anti-virus to firewall to monitoring where your kids go to blocking obscense sites. In my experience, these do bring your computer to a crawl.

I have had good luck with Norton AntiVirus. But would avoid Norton Internet Security or Norton 360 at ALL costs.

If you have any of the Norton products and want to get rid of them, visit their site and get the uninstaller they have - it does a much better job of cleaning up than just uninstalling through Windows.

Thanks for the responses.

My new machine came with 60 days worth of NAV, after that I think I'll give Microsoft Security Essentials a try.

But according to the MS website, it may conflict with other Anti-Virus software, so it advises you to uninstall them.

I believe it is standard advice to be sure there is only one AV program on your machine at a time, regardless of which products you choose.

I've been using Microsoft Security Essentials for over a year now. Seems to do at least as good a job as my previous McAfee, probably better. Can't comment on the NAV as I haven't used it. Also a good backup that won't conflict is Malwarebytes Free version downloaded from cnet.com .

Alrighty, too many misconceptions in this thread to pass up. In order:

1. Always use antivirus software. Because of widespread adoption of antivirus software, virus' have become almost extinct. Almost. It's not a matter of "if", but "when."

2. Only run one AV application at a time. Correct, but not all malware apps are strictly antivirus. For example, Windows 7 comes with Windows Defender by default. Defender is not antivirus, but rather anti-malware software and should be complimented with antivirus software such as AVG or MSE. Our standard business defense is Defender and Trend Micro, and Defender/MSE for home.

3. Mac's won't get viruses. Good luck with that! Everything that is connected to the internet is capable of being attacked by a virus or malware.

4. Firefox will protect you from viruses and malware. See #3 above.

5. Running a computer in "restricted" mode will protect you. See #3 above.

It's a harsh world out there. Wear a condom.

You absolutely can have Norton/Symantec move an existing subscription for your NAV product to a new computer. All you have to do is to navigate to their customer service site, then log into a 'chat' with a service rep. Explain your problem once connected and the rep will re-set your susbcription to allow you to transition your Norton Product Key to your new computer, allowing you the use of the remaining months of the NAV subscription. In doing this once, it actually appended itself onto the end of my trial subscription for a new laptop and gave me the benefit of the free trial too. Don't know if that's typical though. Good luck.

You absolutely can have Norton/Symantec move an existing subscription for your NAV product to a new computer. All you have to do is to navigate to their customer service site, then log into a 'chat' with a service rep. Explain your problem once connected and the rep will re-set your susbcription to allow you to transition your Norton Product Key to your new computer, allowing you the use of the remaining months of the NAV subscription. In doing this once, it actually appended itself onto the end of my trial subscription for a new laptop and gave me the benefit of the free trial too. Don't know if that's typical though. Good luck.

Thanks so much for the advice.

Norton

Let me say I don't know anything about computers.

But I know a lot of people who do what say Norton is totally useless.

I also do know a number of people who have asked me to clear their computers of viruses, (plural), sometimes many many ...

who have Norton.

I know that there are free antivirus programs that do far more to protect a computer from viruses, free.

So why people pay money to Norton is something I will never understand. To me it makes as much sense as flushing money down the toilet.

dc

Hi David -- I don't know what problems the other folks you refer to have had and or how their computers are set up, which makes it impossible to analyze or comment about why they were having problems. For many years I've had nothing but excellent results using Norton's NAV, NIS, and Norton 360, and suffered no ill effects on a number laptops running XP, Vista and now Windows 7. There is no evident slowdown in speed or other effect that I am aware of except that the firewall is so robust that sometimes it needs to be temporarily turned off to permit some programs to download successfully, and that's a simple thing to do. What that says to me is that the program is providing the protection quietly in the background, which is just what I want it to do.

It may be that those computers never got a virus. Some people, never getting a virus, don't know what one looks like or how it acts.

But every time I've seen one, Norton was ignoring it.

dc

Jerry Johnston
It may be that those computers never got a virus. Some people, never getting a virus, don't know what one looks like or how it acts.

But every time I've seen one, Norton was ignoring it.

dc

:thumbsup:

And will put an older laptop on it's knees!

Archived