IGNORED

Interesting Look Into a Very Large Timber Mill

David

David that is one of the greatest things I have seen. I've always been envious of guys who are "millrights" who can

innovate anything at anytime to keep the operation going.

I"ll go out on a "limb" and guesstimate that one squared

80 footer arriving at its destination must be around 15,000

dollars or more. The most beautiful felled tree I ever saw was

a center beam, 3 stories high across an Aframe with a length of about 80 feet in a log cabin restaurant on Highway 26 going from

Portland Oregon to the coast. Thanks for the great adventure!

Looks dangerous.

I lost the middle toe of my right foot one summer as a teenager working in a produce packaging facility. My foot got sucked into the chain and sprocket mechanism of a conveyor belt that had no guard. Since then I've had a mild phobia of open machinery.

I do have a fascination for things old and industrial.

Johnny J

skinny_tom (aka boney)

When I was in College, one of my classes went on a tour of a local sawmill. It was computerized, and had a multiple blade mill that would measure the logs and adjust the blades to optimize the board-feet, then cut the entire length into several slabs all at once. As someone who both enjoys the old and new ways of doing things, it was fun to see.

The other fun part was how the machinery tossed around the large logs like they were tooth picks. The whole place shook. Very impressive.

I once worked with a guy who had been a music major (played the violin) and had had a Summer job in a Maine sawmill. He looked around one day and realized that he was the only person at the lunch table that had all his fingers. He found another Summer job the next year.

---

Thanks... That brought back some good memories. I worked in a smaller mill during two summers while in college. Couple of differences were we didn't have a log pond, the logs went straight from a staging pile to the de-barker. (Not sure I understand the advantage of the pond) The other primary difference was that our primary saw was a circuler blade roughly 6' in diameter. And of course we were powered by straight electric. Its pretty amazing what an experienced sawyer can do with a log to get the most value out of it!!

My job... primarily was the last step either stacking finished product or occasionally edging. Most fun was running the loader to load the de-barker... the cab was Air Conditioned ;)

Archived