IGNORED

Liquid Cooled boxer...spy shot

oiasghar

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/bmws-liquidcooled-boxer-spotted-wild/#more-18483

The comment about the driveshaft being on the left side now made me wonder about something. Watching the Long Way Down, I noticed in several shots where it shows just the rear wheel, the final drive was on the left. I never thought much of it. Time to pull out the DVDs and find the exact episode and scene.

Found it. First Disk. 2:57:12 into it...

FD on left from Long Way Down

A few second later...

I think LWR flipped the view, like a mirror. I have noticed this with lots of movie's, films, etc. Ever notice fire burning backwards or downwards?

Having the drive on the left really isn't that big a deal. It's the norm for the K bikes.

470745086_u4zYm-M.jpg

Who knows their reasoning for it. Most likely, if this is an unaltered/not reversed photo it most likely involves the packaging of the motor/tranny with the required additional pieces of liquid cooling. Flipping doesn't mean its better or worse, just different from the past norms.

Perhaps, perhaps not...

Flying bricks put more HP thru drivetrain and don't have the FD issues (in general).

Hoping the "new" new works great.

Perhaps, perhaps not...

Flying bricks put more HP thru drivetrain and don't have the FD issues (in general).

That would be hard to prove to me after my FD went out on vacation a couple of years ago. Thanks to Beemer Boneyard having one and a member of this board letting me use his garage, I only lost 1 1/2 day of vacation and made it home safely.

Perhaps, perhaps not...

That would be hard to prove to me after my FD went out on vacation a couple of years ago. Thanks to Beemer Boneyard having one and a member of this board letting me use his garage, I only lost 1 1/2 day of vacation and made it home safely.

I remeber that, Troy.

Like I said, (in general).

Based on anecdotal number (or lack thereof) of posts about K FD failures here and other boards and actual experience at a dealership where we saw more than a gaggle of Boxer FD failures but nmo bricks.

Other areas, like seals could expect a 10% chance they'll go if you put a lot of miles on, but in relation to the FD and failure numbers K's I believe have a much, much, lower rate.

Brother Limecreek blew up an enginge at %k, but that is a rarity too.

Best wishes.

• 2 weeks later...

WOW, the wildest news in that link is NOT the water cooling to me.

It is the 90* rotated motor. It has one cylinder pointed forward toward the front wheel and on cyclinder pointing rearward....now that is news. Water cooling is coming, that is ineveitable at some point. But turning the whole motor...that is news!

A boxer with no cylinders sticking out the sides...yikes.

Wet clutch...I'm in.

It has one cylinder pointed forward toward the front wheel and on cyclinder pointing rearward...

Where did you see THAT?

The article does mention that the cylinders heads are rotated 90deg so that intake is straight up and exhaust is straight down.

waterboxer-artist-rendering.jpg

Personally, my guess this bike is just one of many test mules BMW has to try out all sorts of design ideas. But not going into production in the near future. Just my guess.

--

Mikko

I can't see which way the cylinders are pointing let alone if it's water cooled. It's like the stupid ass UFO pictures and videos. You can't see sh!t. You'd think the moron in this case could roll the window down.

See that is why I never went to college...I apparently can't read...

I thought it said rotating the cylinders...IE motor....NOT

My bad, I got excited at a wet clutch and I guess I thought the rotation meant complete reconfigure....

I feel dumber than normal.

We can also see the shaft drive is on the left instead of the right side as on current Boxers which points to a new integrated transmission and perhaps a multiplate wet clutch like that used on the current K-bikes.

The UJM nature of New-K dictated left side drive.

Boxers have RSD "because they've always done it that way" -- they made that decision before left-handed threads had been invented. :grin:

All a left side drive indicates is that they intend to standardize final drive parts.

My RT has been water cooled since new...just not consistently. Now I just try to avoid the rivers and streams. :/

I haven't figured out how to rotate the cylinders on it yet, but with a little drunken perseverance...

Archived