IGNORED

er because that is cheaperStarter - Fix, replace or ignore????

Survived-til-now

Survived-til-now

So my starter made graunchy noises (i.e. not disengaging cleanly) and it was replaced under warranty - that was 4 years ago.

After months of mostly sitting idle in the garage (only 1,500 miles in a year :cry: I am back on the daily commute :clap: but the starter now makes that graunchy noise again - but only when starting from cold.....

Bike's due in for an Annual Inspection and its MOT (Govt Test), do I ask the dealer to ignore the graunchy noise, ask him to take out the starter and clean/lubricate or if he is to deal with it, do I simply tell him to replace the starter because that would be cheaper than a clean & lube that doesn't work....

It's the end of the week and suddely decisions seem so hard.....

Survived-til-now

Don't know what happened to the title of this thread but.....

Is really simples....? I have this picture of splitting the engine in half, breaking harnesses etc.... I have never had more than the top side fairing off.

Don_Eilenberger

The starter is: Remove some plastic. Disconnect your battery (VERY IMPORTANT) - then remove a few bolts (and a few electrical connectors.) Starter is in your hands. Depending on the condition it looks to be in, I'd then make the decision on clean/lube vs replacement. IF the gear teeth look good, and there isn't too much play in the nose-bearing, it's fixable. Either of those bad - replace it.

It is a BAD thing to keep using the starter in this condition, it will damage the ring gear on the flywheel, which IS then splitting the engine in half, breaking harnesses and vast expense.

Just a thought - could the ring gear be the problem? I know it is a different thing (kinda) but the starter on my old jag does the same. Replaced the starter but still get the noise periodically. Makes me think there might be one bad spot on the ring gear. If the starter hits a good spot, no problem. Periodically, the bad spot on the ring gear will be positioned where the starter engages and then I get the noise. Does this make sense with the bike?

Archived