IGNORED

Billy Joel's 20th Century Cycles.

sardineone

I'm thinking of a Saturday visit in May to Billy Joel's 20th Century Cycles. Will be coming in a group from Lake George, NY. Any traffic advise or comments on destination would be appreciated.

If you have an extra hour or so I prefer Rt 22 > 684 > Hutchinson > Throggs Neck instead of cranking on 87. You can use as little or as much of 22 as time allows.

9W in NY is another option for the drive south. Really nice in areas.

Once in Oyster Bay it depends on what you're looking for and how much time you'll have. It is in the heart of Long Island's Gold Coast. Densely populated, big pricey homes, and traffic should be OK on Saturday. Scenery is pretty nice along the shorelines. Plenty of good restaurants at most price points. Short (make that "very short" by most other standards) nice rides along the shore towards Bayville, Center Island, Lloyd Harbor, etc. through some winding roads, although there are almost always plenty of driveways.

Less than 20 minutes away is the Nassau County Museum of Art. Very good art museum with large scenic grounds if you want to stretch your legs. You do not have to pay admission if you just want to walk the grounds, although they may have a parking fee on weekends. LINK HERE

The Planting Fields Arboretum is very close and a great hang if your group can get over the complete anti-stud aspect of it. Large grounds, another excellent leg stretcher. LINK HERE

Theodore Roosevelt's Home at Sagamore Hill is also close. LINK HERE

One last thing....can't believe I forgot. You're only 30 minutes away from Jones Beach and Ocean Parkway. Ocean Pkwy is a dead straight road, but it has beautiful views of the ocean and bay. Just go to Rt. 106 south to Northern State Pkwy to either Meadowbrook Pky or Wantagh Pkwy South to the beaches. Taking Meadowbrook adds 10 minutes, but you'll start from the western most end of Ocean Pkwy.

If you check a map, from Ocean Pkwy you can also take the "Loop Pkwy." west to Lido Beach, Long Beach, and Atlantic Beach. Cool little towns, plenty of places to stop and check out the beaches, and plenty of restaurants.

Archived