IGNORED

'05/'06 Faulty Oil Level Sensor

hopz

You can file this under Old Business.

I have to admit that I sometimes take a look at another On-Line BMW board. Over there, a fellow had a post about replacing the faulty Float on the '05/'06 vintage 1200's... the one that causes the rider display to throw-off a faulty low oil warning signal.

Most of us who own this vintage bike have either learned to ignore it or to have it fixed at the dealer. I am in the former category, but this chap's post made it fairly clear that changing the bad float for a good one was Cheap (a good thing) and Easy... (another good thing).

I took a good look at the parts fiche and located the place on the bike (motor case-right hand side just above the O2 sensor tap) where the float can be accessed. Looks simple enough.

Yesterday I ordered the new and improved float and will have it next week. About $20.00

Anyone done this or have advice on the Floatectomy?

Dealer did this for me under warranty from a Service Bulletin on my '05 back in '06.

I think there was a software update, too.

Didn't help.

Ya need the float and the software update to really make it work like the newer RT's. The new float allows the switch to activate at a lower oil level than the original '05 float.

the software prevents the display from showing the oil level unless the engine is a full operating temp, bike stopped and something else that I can't remember right now.

IMHO, the oil level warning on my '05 works just fine, after the updates were done. Prior to that it was a bit fussy.

Good Luck

CoarsegoldKid

My take is the sight gauge is just fine for confirmation of what the display says. I have learned to know the truth. Of offense to mechanics out there but the less a dealership touches my motorcycle the better I think it will be. I do all the work and I've had no software updates performed on this bike since taking delivery in Nov 2005. It works great.

----the software prevents the display from showing the oil level unless the engine is a full operating temp, bike stopped and something else that I can't remember right now.

Morning Bruce

+ Kickstand Up, + engine idling for more than 30 seconds, + motorcycle upright.

Archived