IGNORED

Don't make this mistake!

Troy

I finally got around to adjusting the headlight on the RT today and something happened that should be avoided at all cost. I'm on my knees looking up to find the adjuster nut and I notice the horrible smell. About then my scalp starts to get a bit warm and I realize that my hair is burning on the exhaust header. :eek: After some unrepeatable words and much hitting myself in the head I decided I needed a hair cut anyway.

Adjusting the headlight is an easy job and except tor the smoldering scalp the adjustment went well. But I wish BMW would have spent a little time adjusting the headlight before shipping the bike.

Nice n Easy Rider

I don't know which is the bigger mistake:

trying to adjust the headlight on a hot engine

or

admitting it to this crew. :D

I don't know which is the bigger mistake:

trying to adjust the headlight on a hot engine

or

admitting it to this crew. :D

I guess I'm just secure in my idiocy :)

I never had to worry about hot stuff on the K12RS - it was all covered up or stuffed under the bike. And sorry guys, no pix, got the hair cut before anybody could grab a camera.

I would have kept that one to myself... But, since you put it out there, should have posted the photos, our imagination is probably worse than the real thing :grin: I'm sure it wasn't funny to you at the time - never is - but it's a hoot right now! Hope you're alright.

If it is any consolation, the engine on my F800 also has to be running for the head light to illuminate. I don't try to stick my head in the radiator though.

i won't mention the burns I got on my arm on the exhausts on the airheads doing some fairly tricky repair.

I guess that's why the shops charge the big bucks. To pay insurance for injured techs. These bikes are dangerous to work on. :rofl:

With the thousands of yellow WARNING! stickers in the Beemer manuals, it's surprising that they missed this one.

Who reads them anyways? :grin:

The one thing I never understood is why BMW decided to get rid of the headlamp adjustment knob. They brought it back in 2010, but from what 2005? to 2009?, you have to go through all sorts of things to adjust the headlight.

Wayne

Archived