IGNORED

Removing battery for storage. Issues??

smooth cruise

smooth cruise

Hi

because of where I store my bike I have always removed the battery for winter storage. I did the same for my currant bike 2011 rt I'm wondering if there will be any issues when it comes time to start it in the spring. Someone told me that the date in the computer will have to be updated (said it will cause warning light to come on)

Has anyone had the battery out for any length of time and were there issues?

thanks for any info.

smooth cruise

I store the bike in a shed that does not have electricity.

temperature ranges from 10-30 for the two and a half months it's stored.

As I said this has worked for me for the last 3 bikes I've owned.

But the rt has alot more electronics

You will have your service light on once you hook it all back up. Either a trip to the dealer to have them reset the internal clock date and service light or a friend with a GS-911 will be required. Other than that, start it and run it. Nothing else needed.

Morning smooth cruise

There should be no issues as mileage and the service dates are stored in a non volatile memory so will remain as before battery disconnect. This means that the miles to service and service date will be as before battery disconnect.

It could (not necessarily will) lose the TPS min/max parameter learn so after you re-install the battery simply turn the ignition switch on (do not start the engine), then fully open and close the throttle twice. This will cause the TPS to re-learn min and max.

Your onboard computer will lose it’s mileage data as well as fuel consumption data so that will be inaccurate for a short while after initial ride off.

The short term fuel trim learn will be gone so it might not run as smooth/even as before for a few minutes but will re- learn that quickly after starting and ride off.

The clock will off so you will have to re-set that.

Otherwise not a big issue. I remove my hexhead batteries every winter and no issues or dealer trip ever required.

SC-

There is little reason to remove the battery in the first place. Even the most generic sealed VRLA batteries are usually rated to store down to -15C, or about +5F ambient. Better batteries can store at -20C, or up to -40C for some of the premium brands. As such, just keeping a trickle charge on it is all you need to do here. Heat, not cold, is the enemy of prolonged battery life.

-MKL

smooth cruise

but the point is there is no electricity where I store my bike so I can't use a trickle charge....Unless your saying it wouldn't hurt to store bike for 3 months of winter with battery left in and no trickle charge?

No, I'm not saying that at all. Capacity is diminished greatly at cold temps and it will run down in no time from even the smallest housekeeping type load. In this case, bring it in.

-MKL

Archived