IGNORED

Bug or feature?

dan cata

Does this happen on your bike?  

66 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi,

Here's the thing ('96 R1100RT)... If you turn off the engine, then you switch the key back on, signal to the R/H and when the R/H bulbs are lit, turn off the key.

Mine remain on at all time, untill I use the turn cancelation button. This does not happen on the L/H side.

Does this reproduce on your bikes?

Thanks,

Dan.

Clive Liddell

My 1996 R850R does this very occasionally. But it happens when I switch off (at the ignition). To switch off the indicator lamps I switch back on and then off.

96 R/RT ran it repeatedly through several key-on-light-on-key-off cycles and it remained lit (turning off with the cancel switch) until maybe the 5th or 6th cycle when it stopped.

My R1100RT will leave on which ever side of turn signal is left on when you turn off the key. Oddly enough this is random, not every time.

What I mean by this is, if I have my turn signal on , left or right, and I turn off the key, that signal light stays on.

The random part is my only concern. either it should stay on or not. weird.

But it's not only the signal light in the dash that stays on, it's both the front and rear turn lights, and that's 42W draining the battery in one overnight...

And I think it's wrong that it does so, because we already have parking lights on the bikes and they only take like 5 W or so when lit...

Dan.

ShovelStrokeEd

You mean the indicators continue to flash with the key off?

That is just plain wrong. The 4-ways, yes, that is correct but regular indicators should go off with the key. They may or may not "remember" they were on and flashing when the key is switched back on, my Triumph does, my Aprilia does not.

Someone needs to have a look at the various schematics.

You mean the indicators continue to flash with the key off?

That is just plain wrong. The 4-ways, yes, that is correct but regular indicators should go off with the key. They may or may not "remember" they were on and flashing when the key is switched back on, my Triumph does, my Aprilia does not.

Someone needs to have a look at the various schematics.

They do not flash, only the side that you previously turned them on, remains lit. Both fron, rear and indicator in the dash.

There's nothing wrong with my harness. The issue is inside the relay.

BTW, if anyone needs, I know how you can easyly convert your OEM turning relay from regular bulbs to LED lights and the flashing fraquency remains the same ;)

Dan.

On the 1100, there is a standing 12V (via fuse 3) to the signal relay.

So I would suggest the relay is sticking and should be replaced - but only because of the risk of inadvertantly flattening the battery if the flasher unit is latching on for a prolonged period without you noticing.

sounds to me like the park lite indicator that all cars have for germany etc., not sure if its even needed, but i'd say its a feature not a bug.

On the 1100, there is a standing 12V (via fuse 3) to the signal relay.

So I would suggest the relay is sticking and should be replaced - but only because of the risk of inadvertantly flattening the battery if the flasher unit is latching on for a prolonged period without you noticing.

How can it be sticking? :) It's not like a regular relay that most of the Japanese bikes have, it's electronic...

Dan.

I think that the OEM relay is electro-mechanical? But I have not opened one. Irrespective of whether or not the relay is stuck, you would think that key-off would cut the power to the relay.

Unless the bike is an RTP model, which may have the ability to run the flashers while keyed off. This always bugs me, that you can't run the 4-ways when the engine is not running (key-on).

The OEM relay is not a relay, it is a circuit board.

On my 1150RT the four-way flashers need the key on to start them, but continue to flash after you turn the bike off.

Andy

The OEM relay is not a relay, it is a circuit board.

True ;)

On my 1150RT the four-way flashers need the key on to start them, but continue to flash after you turn the bike off.

Same on my 1100 RT ;)

Andy

Good to know. So that's probably the answer to the OP's question. There is provision in the circuitry that allows the flasher to continue operating when the key is turned off. It may not have been intended for individual turn signals. Perhaps there is some kind of load sensor that decides whether the 4-ways are on and it gets confused by the turn signal.

My bike is not a P model just a standard RT and to clarify what it does.

If if stop riding with a turnsignal flashing and turn off the key, the light that was flashing stays lit, not flashing. Not the dash only, but both the front and rear signal lights just stay on until I hit the cancel button. The headlight has done it once or twice too. It is very random.

It stops if I turn the key back to handle bar lock position.

Seems like it may be in the key switch or a relay. I have just learned to check before walking away.

My bike is not a P model just a standard RT and to clarify what it does.

If if stop riding with a turnsignal flashing and turn off the key, the light that was flashing stays lit, not flashing. Not the dash only, but both the front and rear signal lights just stay on until I hit the cancel button. The headlight has done it once or twice too. It is very random.

It stops if I turn the key back to handle bar lock position.

Seems like it may be in the key switch or a relay. I have just learned to check before walking away.

Sounds like a previous thread about cancel/self cancel of turn signals.

Just turn them off before stopping as I would expect most of the time there was some non turn involved and plenty of opportunity to turn them off.

If your bulb remains lit that doesn't sound quite right.

You don't have any aftermarket mods like run-n-lites do you?

Archived