IGNORED

What a Storm

yabadabapal

Within the next 48 hours, more than 100 million people will

be affected by a storm that may make the history books.

From Chicago all the way to New England, including states that

have not seen a winter storm like this in a long time.

Anyone here getting ready, and what are you doing to prepare.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Snowlocaust?

Snowmageddon?

Depends who you talk to.

The worst is expected to hit SE Michigan just prior to/during the Wednesday morning rush hour. Storms like this are a bad thing if you drive/travel for a living, but that's not me. What am I doing to prepare? Meh. Putting the cell phone next to the bed so I can call in on Wednesday morning and see whether my workplace is open for business.

I'm looking forward to our first real snowstorm this year. Whether it actually happens this time remains to be seen. The Finger Lakes don't usually get clobbered like Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse.

I love shoveling my driveway. Nigel loves supervising.

I have no concern over this snowstorm, just another one that most folks that I know will take in stride. The radio news was reporting that folks were in stores stocking up as I pulled into the mostly empty grocery store parking lot this afternoon, no big rush for supplies there.

Tomorrow I'll be on my ATV or Kubota plowing snow.

60 days until the April Fools rides start.

Yep, golf is going to be on standby here in Houston for at least two whole days,that stinks. The swing was getting real sweet. This may set me back another week or two!

Around here, when snow is predicted, people stay home and make French toast. I mean, why else would they all rush to the store and buy milk, eggs and bread?

----

It's true. So silly. We're home for 1 freakin' day, at most, and people act like a nuclear war is breaking out and they need rations for 20 years in bunker storage. Sheesh....

-MKL

In Sarasota, going sailing tomorrow for the second day in a row.

Overnight: Patchy fog after 2am. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 56. East wind around 8 mph.

Tuesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 75. Southeast wind between 7 and 17 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph.

Glad I'm not home in the Midwurst right now.

It's during this time of year that folks don't ask me why I moved to Florida. Especially my friends on Long Island, where the snow accumulations are over 60 inches so far this year. (An old girl friend reminded me that I used to shovel out her driveway for her. Don't own a snow shovel anymore.) :Cool:

couple inches on the ground here overnight, chose to work remotely rather than spend all day on the road coming and going. They are now saying the heaviest snow from noon today to 3 am. Forecast is from 14-26 inches, depends on exact tracking. And just to make it interesting Thunder-snow, and 50mph winds are in the forecast for overnight and tomorrow. Local groceries reporting shortages and outages of bread and milk. Some schools already called it, and most are planning an early close. CHI schools which rarely close are saying it is likely for tomorrow. SWA has already canceled service in and out of MDW starting this afternoon.

Could be an interesting couple days.

Shoveled off the roof. Bought some frozen pizzas. Went to the library for some DVDs for the kids (since I was sure they'd be home), and some books, in case we lose power.

Pushed the wife's return flight from San Diego out to Friday. :(

I stay ready year round to be self sufficient in my home without electricity for several days.

Hey, just remember, the snow up north affects us floridians adversely also! Shipments cant get in, there is now a sunscreen shortage! rationing! the lines are horrible!

Nice n Easy Rider
It's true. So silly. We're home for 1 freakin' day, at most, and people act like a nuclear war is breaking out and they need rations for 20 years in bunker storage. Sheesh....

-MKL

They need all those rations because the schools are closed and the parents are stuck at home with the kids. All that food means they can keep stuffing their kids' mouths and keep them occupied. No wonder obesity is becoming endemic in this country :D .

I stay ready year round to be self sufficient in my home without electricity for several days.

You mean like the 50 or more inches of snow we Marylanders got last February? :grin:

You mean like the 50 or more inches of snow we Marylanders got last February? :grin:

Exactly...or hurricane, earthquake, political uprising, Antrax attack, Bubonic plague, etc. I'm a big believer in personal responsibility. Electricity is nice but no one owes it to me.

Hey, just remember, the snow up north affects us floridians adversely also! Shipments cant get in, there is now a sunscreen shortage! rationing! the lines are horrible!

Even worse than that, the @#$%@$@$%@ snowbirds can't get home and they are clogging the interstate in rental cars with the left turn signals stuck on!

Even worse than that, the @#$%@$@$%@ snowbirds can't get home and they are clogging the interstate in rental cars with the left turn signals stuck on!

as long as they go to Florida and not the southwest is fine with me :grin:

The cold has hit Denver area already. High of -1 tomorrow and the schools are closing for the day. Glad the snow dump missed us!

Mark is home for the day....and he isn't quite sure why all the schools closed. He has been in when the weather has been colder/snowier. But he is probably even more excited to have a snow/cold day than the kids. :> He is just hoping they are open tomorrow so that it doesn't throw of all his planning for the next two weeks as he tries to play catch-up.

As far as prep-we made sure that we have beer in the fridge. But that is a pretty normal prep for us at any time.

Just saw on the news that the public schools are cancelling the Winter vacation break; schools have closed so often due to snow that they figure the kids have already enjoyed Winter break even if it's come in pieces :smirk:

Why, it's so cold in the Los Angeles area I have to wait until 0900 for it to be warm enough for me to take my daily 6 mile walk in long pants and a TEE Shirt. Brrrr. I hate winter.

Just back from a week skiing in Vermont and heading up next week for another.

Wife and I took a gorgeous hike Sunday.

Evenings spent watching a good flick and cranking through the wood in our fireplace.

LOVE this stuff.

Exactly...or hurricane, earthquake, political uprising, Antrax attack, Bubonic plague, etc. I'm a big believer in personal responsibility. Electricity is nice but no one owes it to me.

I need your address so we can come and visit if things turn messy... :grin:

Any Farmers here ressiding in the plains states. Soybean stock prices are going up because of the storm. Slight set back in wheat, and grain. Oklahoma is getting hit with some freezing temps that could effect some 5 million head of cattle with

hypothermia. Its amazing how interdepndent everything is.

You could be vacationing or living in some nice temperate climate and be effected in a number of ways somewhere down the line.

Australia is getting a level 5 cyclone on the NE corner with winds that could reach 190 MPH once it hits land. 300,000 people have been warned in the area.

Attempted to head to the office this morning, so I backed up my car and took the recycle bins down for our Tuesday pick up. I was having a hard time walking up to the car so I stepped on the snow (OK, ice covered by now), and about half way up the driveway my car started to move, the next thing I know the car is now heading towards me.

Here I am trying to redirect it so it wont hit anything, but I have no traction, so I decided to just head into our road (direction it was heading)so I can stop whoever is coming (no one did). My car stopped finally half on the road and the other half on the driveway - sideways.

Yup - this was a clear sign from the good gods, "Stay home!" I got the car back in the garage ten minutes later (no traction or steering). I later tried to battle the ice on the driveway - it won, we are suppose to get an addition quarter inch of frozen rain, topped with some sleet, and snow to finish it off - tonight, what the heck.

Phil better not see his shadow tomorrow - this winter thing has got to go.

Done, all stay healthy, warm and safe.

Australia is getting a level 5 cyclone on the NE corner with winds that could reach 190 MPH once it hits land. 300,000 people have been warned in the area.

I bet kangaroo goes through the roof.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Radar is showing us currently getting blasted...but the reality is that it's just barely, barely beginning to snow here. :confused:

5422.jpg.074eac12d1bd4e43cff7edec61d4f0bc.jpg

Thank goodness I left Ann Arbor! Of course, 2 weeks ago, 4" of snow was enough to paralyze Atlanta for 5 days.

Yeah, but in 5 days it goes away by itself...

Thank goodness I left Ann Arbor! Of course, 2 weeks ago, 4" of snow was enough to paralyze Atlanta for 5 days.

Yeah, but in 5 days it goes away by itself...

Normally, that's true, but this time it was cold, and while the stuff melted a little during the daytime, by sundown it just refroze. No salt, no sand, no traction.

I must really suck living in the lower latitudes.

Canada will only get a glancing blow and where I live, just north of Toronto, it won't be more than a skiffel.

I'll think of you and all the riding you have to miss. :rofl:

Sorry, my bad!

Joe Frickin' Friday
Its coming Mitch. Hang in there. By the way, where did you get that nice looking radar map from?

It was a screen capture/crop from www.wunderground.com.

Thanks! great site.

Here is some interesting news.

The Chicago Fire Department has rented 50 snowmobiles to handle

emergencies that might not be accessible in the heavy snow.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Thanks! great site.

Here is some interesting news.

The Chicago Fire Department has rented 50 snowmobiles to handle

emergencies that might not be accessible in the heavy snow.

After the recent fiasco in NYC in which someone died because ambulances could not reach him (due to unplowed streets), I was surprised that emergency responders did not have a snowmobile available for exactly this reason. Are completely impassable streets really that rare?

Saw on the news that Chicago FD/EMS have snowmobiles assigned to each station. They were seen following the EMS vehicles down the streets early this a.m.

Smart idea....

Latest from Kerrville in the Texas Hill Country: 12F this a.m.

So far we've had two 20 minute blackouts. One at 05:18H and the other at 08:02H. Both of which were loudly announced by our house alarm :eek:!

Highs for the next two days are forecast to be 30F and they now say

snow forecast for Thursday night.....

This sucks.....although less sucky than the weather our rellies have in Chicago!

I must really suck living in the lower latitudes.

Canada will only get a glancing blow and where I live, just north of Toronto, it won't be more than a skiffel.

I'll think of you and all the riding you have to miss. :rofl:

Sorry, my bad!

Now this is a hearty soul: a Canadian motorcyclist who appreciates the fact that riding season is solely defined by whether the roads are dry and nothing else.

Nice :thumbsup:

It's during this time of year that folks don't ask me why I moved to Florida. Especially my friends on Long Island, where the snow accumulations are over 60 inches so far this year. (An old girl friend reminded me that I used to shovel out her driveway for her. Don't own a snow shovel anymore.) :Cool:

hEY oL' bUDDY Rich -

When can I move in, dewd..?

The cold has hit Denver area already. High of -1 tomorrow

:rofl: Cold?

Let me tell you about cold! My past Monday 06:30 AM walk to the bus stop was -36.4C (-33.7F). Not "wind chill"; actual temp.

At -1F (-18.2C) we don't hardly even bother with hat & gloves anymore! Wear a coat at -10C (14F) and you'll likely get snickered at! At +0.5C (+33F) and the bikes are out!

The cold has hit Denver area already. High of -1 tomorrow

:rofl: Cold?

Let me tell you about cold! My past Monday 06:30 AM walk to the bus stop was -36.4C (-33.7F). Not "wind chill"; actual temp.

At -1F (-18.2C) we don't hardly even bother with hat & gloves anymore! Wear a coat at -10C (14F) and you'll likely get snickered at! At +0.5C (+33F) and the bikes are out!

Ken, stop bragging how hardy you guys are, at the same time wait to above freezing to get the bike out! :grin: If the roads are OK at 20F (-7C) I'm on the bike for a nice long ride. :wave:

Weather forecasters....I've shat 'em :mad:!!

Pay me $250k a year and I'll do a better job....

Well, high forecast as 30F....high today (at moment!) is 20F!

No sun, cloud cover everywhere.....

We are 44 degrees below normal for this time of year :eek:!

Archived