IGNORED

Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ?

R80RTKen

So in addition to the BMW touring bikes I love, I have a ZRX1100 thats now 11 years old. It replaced my 25 year old KZ1000...

Kawi now has created the "Ninja 1000" which after sitting on at the NYC Motorcycle show, I realize is even more upright than the brochure lets on. Its somewhere between a R1100RS and an R1100R in terms of seating position.. It's got an adjustable windshield and a lot of wind protection well disguised in the fairing.. The seat was posh.

It looks like a kids bike :-) and it feels like a BMW...

Anyone actually ridden one? I know they're available in Europe in Green, and here in black and red.. Have they been at any demo days yet? For 10,900 its a lot of bike... The sales guy at the show told me it felt like it had all the torque of the ZRX.

Its got all the technology, Radial petal brakes, FI, liquid cooling, cat converter etc.. so it's definately gonna be the most complex machine Ive owned..

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2010/10/2011-kawasaki-ninja-1000-md-first-ride-2/

Got a serious case of new bike fever...

By the looks of the sitting position in the pics, looks like it will require really good knees. I'd need a peg lowering kit that would lower them a foot to be comfortable.

[quote= R80RTKen

]Got a serious case of new bike fever...

Lot of that going around! ;)

Some talk here on the bike. I saw the all black one at a dealership last week & have to say it didn't grab me like I thought it would. Not saying it's not a nice ride & truth be told, i've been sipping the Kool-Aid as of late. :grin:

Pat

If I could stand to ride a 916, a ZX-10, a GSX-R 1000 or any of the litre bikes, I'd own one. They're fashionable, theyre scalpels in corners, theyre fun to customize, and they are insanely high tech, more so than I think any of the BMW's except the S1000RR, which is not in fact, available for $1k more than an R1, despite their adverts. If I could actually get the 13k S1000RR, it would still be a torture rack. This Kawi looks, handles and goes like a REAL sportbike, and yet is more designed for comfort than anything European or Japanese in the Litre Sport Bike Class. The K-GT's and K-S's are overweight and have such a l o o o o o ng wheelbase they really don't corner at all like a sport bike as do the Busa and ZX-14.

For a rip through the twisties without sore arms, sore neck and crushed jubblie's... This seems to be the tool...

I almost feel bad for BMW, as they seem nowadays to have EITHER comfort OR performace and their styles are hit and miss..

I've got a ZRX1200 and I had to see it too. The new Ninja1000 feels seriously light compared to my ZRX even if it did not have gas in it I know there is a distinct difference. The power has got to be good. The pipes need to go. The price is right, though I wish it would have an ABS option and I have yet to see the bag option for it. Anyway I am seriously starting to look at an RT for a commuter as the ZRX is good but I think the BMW would be great at it. Let me know what you think of the Ninja 1000 if you get it. And why did they put Ninja in its name? Wonder what the insurance is going to be?

Heck, I'm only using the bottom half of my speedometer and the lower 2/3rds of my tachometer on my RT as it is. If I want to be uncomfortable, I can just buy a peg raising kit.

---

Chain drive?.....rest of it looks good but I am no fan of chains....

While not wanting to rehash the Chain vs Shaft debate. In 25 years of doing my own maintenence, I think chains are less work, and less cost to maintain than shaft drive.

An old bike can get a new driveline end to end if its a chain, for $250, installed in 45 minutes by a non mechanic. Ever replace a U-Joint or a final drive seal? Lube your splines? What a nightmare...

I love my BMW's and I'll always have at least one in the garage for touring.. but ripping it up on a Duc or a Kawi or sexy fast sport bike is the bomb... and one thats at least sorta comfy makes it even better :-)

Lubing a spline is time consuming but very rare (I have done it).....chains need regular lubing and adjustment and are generally much more likely to fail mid trip in my experience (been there done that).....

Not much of a debate in my mind really, but before I will consider that bike long distance trouring/travel ready they will need to get rid of the chain. Clearly not everyone agrees with that, and that is fine with me.

Lubing a spline is time consuming but very rare (I have done it).....chains need regular lubing and adjustment and are generally much more likely to fail mid trip in my experience (been there done that).....

Not much of a debate in my mind really, but before I will consider that bike long distance trouring/travel ready they will need to get rid of the chain. Clearly not everyone agrees with that, and that is fine with me.

Yeah.. I pretty much lube once a year, and just change pre-emptively every 10k miles..

What we need are quick release shafts! BMW, are you listening?

ShovelStrokeEd

My last chain was still good at 23K miles, I just needed tires anyway so had them throw a new chain and sprockets. Total maintenance consisted of a daily spritz with a mild chain lube every day when on the road (5 min out of 4-700 miles of riding). A once a month or so wipe down with a rag saturated in WD-40. An adjustment at the first 800 miles or so and another at around 15K miles. Over the life of the chain, I doubt I spent 3 hours on it. The current chain is at 10K and shows no signs of problems.

My Tuono, which runs a smaller chain, is now at the wear limit at 13K miles. I'll change it and the sprockets some time this month.

The modern chains ain't that old hardware store stuff that came on your BSA or Triumph. Big difference in a 40 HP bike weighing 350 lbs and a 140 HP bike weighing 440 lbs.

My last chain was on a modern sport bike (last few in fact).....I kept hearing about how great they were....no stretch, minimual adjustment etc etc.....sounds great, wasn't the case....

ShovelStrokeEd

Big difference in life between a 520 or 525 chain and a 530 chain like on my Sprint. Also, Sprint has large countershaft sprocket which helps a bunch.

Typical modern sport bike is running a 520 chain, OK for racing but won't hold up to typical sport bike stresses.

Back to the original topic, I think the new Ninja 1000 is a completely appealing machine. If the FJR was going to have a stablemate, the new Ninja 1K would definitely make the short-list.

Pushes my buttons!!

Wow those bags look like they would be like the turn signals on a KTM. The pipe looks like it will melt them just like my 530 excr does to rear turn signals.

Way too low of bars for my neck, but I guess I would have to ride it to know that for sure.

lIKE iT, lots.!

If I had the funds a Z1000 would already be in my TajMaGarage.

This scoot scratches where that one doesn't - ie better wind and windscreen adjust-ability.

Me Likey...

The shaft drive on my C14 is stupid simple to service. I spend a LOT of time cleaning and lubing sportbike chains, including the mess that accumulates on the rear wheels and swingarms.

"The K-GT's and K-S's are overweight and have such a l o o o o o ng wheelbase they really don't corner at all like a sport bike as do the Busa and ZX-14."

The K12S corner somewhat better than the Busa and I believe the later model K12S considerably better. As the Busa is generally regarded as a better handling bike than the Kawasaki most handling comparisons are between the Busa and K13S.

http://www.bmwk1200s.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15371&p=104142&hilit=review#p104142

http://www.bmwsuperbikes.com/BMSB_SR_K13SvsBusa.pdf

Yes I have a K1300S and I am prepared to play with a ZX-14 and a Hayabusa through corners anyday with riders of similar ability and am happy to wait for them to catch up ;). I would suggest that 6kg lighter weight of the K13S is much more manageable than the Busa and a K13S just plain handles better than both these bikes.

"I almost feel bad for BMW, as they seem nowadays to have EITHER comfort OR performace and their styles are hit and miss."

My S performs and I find it more comfortable than my 1150RT on my knees. I have comfort and performance and having ridden a K12GT find that it was also both comfortable and performing. :wave:

Archived