IGNORED

Frank Thomas in receivership

Boffin

Frank Thomas, the motorcycle clothing manufacturer, together with its subsidiary businesses have gone into receivership.

Linky

They were probably the biggest name in the UK. I wonder how many will follow and how long will it be before we see the end of this collapse.

Andy

I purchased an item or 2 from FT at CG. I haven't had good success with their stuff. I found their stuff to be of poor quality in the last few years. No experience with them before that, so I can't speak of their earlier products.

My local CG often had FT stuff that was returned out for discounted resale. It is usually a jacket or boots with a stitching coming undone or some part just falling apart.

Sad to see a once thriving company succome to economic woes to the point of making inferior products, which in the end becomes their demise.

It seems the receivers are trying to find a buyer:

Tom Lukic, Joint Administrator, said, "The difficult trading conditions experienced during 2010 combined with a number of issues which impacted on the Group over the same period created liquidity problems in the business. Despite actions taken to restructure the business and reduce the cost base, the Group was unable to continue to trade in a manner that enabled it to continue to meet its liabilities as they fell due. The directors as a result requested the appointment of Joint Administrators to the Group."

He added, "We are currently working with the Group's directors and management team to understand the current position in more detail and explore all options. Following the appointment of Joint Administrators to the Group, our initial strategy has been to seek a buyer for the business and assets of the Group as a going concern and we are already in dialogue with a number of potentially interested parties in this regard."

Read more: http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-industry/frank-thomas-goes-into-administration/16954.html#ixzz1Cc3n3iTL

Andy

I still have my pair of Frank Thomas 'Big Tall Nasty Boots' in the closet. After several reworks the shoe man told me they were DEAD and never bring them back again. Almost knee high real cow hide.

Got them from Pauls' Bum'W' in Gutherie Ok a zillion years ago. None of this ballet slipper racerboy boot.

What a shame to see it go, surprised it lasted long after the Engrish motorcycle market faded. The empire really is dead.

ShovelStrokeEd

When you compare their stuff to decent stuff you can easily see the difference. I don't believe in saving money when it comes to parts of my anatomy or hide. Quality just isn't there. Remember, Cycle Gear is not the place for top quality stuff either, at least not for street/roadrace Their primary client base is either dirt bikers or squids.

I really liked the FT glove designs, but I could never find a pair that seemed to fit without some irritating bit here or there.

But as to Ed's comment regards Cycle Gear: I did end up getting my gloves there, a nice pair of Dianese, now going on 3 years old and still just fine. I've bought several sets of tires from them, Michelin PR2's are Michelin PR2's, even at Cycle Gear. They are the only local source for 10w-50 (Castrol). They have a nice selection of helmets, including Shoei. My FrogToggs came from there.

I've found CG to have very attractive prices, quality products, and many of the things I need that are not otherwise available locally. They also have great store hours, which in the motorcycle market is a huge plus.

Mighty Manfred

I just recently bought some FT street riding boots and like them bunches. A bit of break-in required, but very comfortable for riding and walking about.

I like Cycle Gear. You just have to have some idea of what you want and what brands you like. Do that and it all works out sweet.

I found they were a very good place to compare different helmets.

I thought the White Sox traded him and then he retired. Didn't know he got into jacket making. But, he was known to resting his own glove from time to time.

I thought the White Sox traded him and then he retired. Didn't know he got into jacket making. But, he was known to resting his own glove from time to time.

Good one! Did a lot of whining too.

Good one! Did a lot of whining too.

I got a couple of his rooky cards and y'all ain't helping the value.

:mad:

:rofl:

Cycle gear is an OK company as a whole. They have a great return policy, if doesn't fit bring it back, no question. Very nice in that respect.

And they can order anything if they don't have it in stock. They will even take back special orders, if it isn't right.

They do tend to focus on the "bargain" shopper for the items they keep in stock, and not the highest quality stuff neccesarily. Not that they don't have some nice stuff in stock. It just seems that alot of their stuff is the lower end manufacturers overall.

Archived