IGNORED

Droid vs iPhone??

George Brown

I was ready to pull the cork and venture into the smart phone arena by purchasing a Droid throught Verizon because I am satisified with the Verizon network. Now that Verizon is offering iPhones I'm not sure which way to go. All my computing experience has been with PC's and MS and to date I am not so disatisfied with MS that I would switch to Apple for computing work.

So I need some opinions about interfacing the iPhone to a MS operating system.

TIA

Hey George, I just dumped my blackberry for a droid X and I am loving it. It's a great phone and I like the other features that I have gained it.

I would recommend going for it.

George,

If you read that link Jan shared you'll see I made the jump from Blackberry to Droid X. Everyone is right, once you have a really smart phone you can't imagine ever being without it.

I don't know anything about the iphone, other than is seems apple charges for many of its applications or Apps as they are called. Droid has a zillion great Apps and they are mostly free. I haven't paid for one yet and have more than I am using.

Two examples of the joy of this new fangled technology:

I'm sitting in my car in Rochester, having finished with a meeting. (I work now :D ) I decide I have a couple hours to kill before heading home. I want to go to look at eye glass frames. I click on an App called Places and type eye glasses. It pulls up stores in this area, with distance and web links to their pages. In a couple minutes I have picked one out and the directions. Found my new eye glasses too!

I have a book that is a 2nd edition and I want the 3rd edition. I go to an App called Google Goggles and take a photo of the book. Next thing, I'm shown a link to Amazon to both editions. I grab that link and email it to my client for them to order. They think I'm a technology wiz. Now, that is really funny.

Just wait until you see what you can do with the camera and sharing the photos. I can send them right to my Smugmug page or wherever I want.

I could go on and on and I'm still learning all that it can do!

I just bought a Mac Book Pro and this Droid X and it are best friends, communicating easily.

Good luck and get ready for a new relationship with technology, whichever way you go.

Droid, until the Iphone is the newest version, and then maybe still, Droid. Currently, the neat feature I am looking for on my next smart phone is the ability to turn on the hotspot feature. The Motorola Droids list this as an option. According to many threads, this is available on Verizon HTC phones now as well. Can not attest, as I am about 6 months out on my next cell. I really like Apple products, and have a desktop, laptop, iPad, and several iPods including a few touch models. Even with that, the Android based products are quite excellent and I like my Verizon HTC Android phone. Smart Phones Rock! I lived the summer's travel with just the phone!

I've had my Droid X for about a month and love it. Only two minor complaints: The way I would like to hold the phone as a camera puts my left pointing finger over the camera lens. Easy fix: hold it different. Second minor complaint is that the texting soft keyboard does not have a carriage return/line feed button. The email keyboard does and I'd like to also have it on texts. Pretty minor so I'm a happy camper.

I just bought a Mac Book Pro and this Droid X and it are best friends, communicating easily.

That's welcome news. Does anybody have any experience with a Droid phone and a Linux system? It seems like they should be copacetic, since both are built on Linux, but....

That's welcome news. Does anybody have any experience with a Droid phone and a Linux system? It seems like they should be copacetic, since both are built on Linux, but....

I misspoke.

I use Google mail and contact. I simply have both as my Go To on both the Mac and the Droid X.

I use Smugmug for photos.

I don't notice any problems because I've bypassed them.

However, as has been posted elsewhere, Steve says something is coming...

Something is always coming; it's the tyranny of the new.

Well, I guess that is one way to look at it. However, reality is that it will be good news.

I'm another recent convert to the Droid X. The best feature, the speech to text for e-mail and texts. Who cares about a keyboard when you can just speak what you want to send!

Kind of like when you could just speak into the phone to the person Hugh?

At the end of this year I think Verizon is coming out with a faster Droid. The one with the new LTE technology.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I have an iPhone, and there's no way in hell I'll own another.

Here are the problems associated with the iPhone.

1. Apple controls all of your information. If you update to a newer OS, apple erases the copies of your old OS backups off of your computer. Even if you find a way to hack your phone back to a decent OS, you cannot reload your information- Apple has taken it away from you. Nor will apple allow you to go back to a previously functional OS. Once you upgrade (usually a downgrade) you're stuck with it.

2. Any time a new OS is offered, you must not update but check all available forums on the topic to see if the update will actually be beneficial to your phone. Mind you, Apple will tell you it's the latest and greatest, but in reality it will probably ruin some of the functionality of your phone from which you cannot recover (read #1.)

3. You must use iTunes to manage your phone. iTunes is a massive memory hogging program that must be updated every time you want to update your phone (Read #2). While it is actually a pretty good program for music database management, it pretty much sucks at everything else.

4. Planned obsolescence. Apple expects you to buy a new phone every time a new phone comes out. They have no interest in keeping your old phone alive or helping you to continue to use it even though it works perfectly well and will continue to for many more years. If your iPhone is 2 years old, forget it. Apple will be doing it's best to make your phone incredibly frustrating to use at 2 years so that you'll go drop the cash on a new one. Gone are the days of using something until it breaks. This may be a good model for young hipsters who have nothing to do but follow Steve Jobs like little minions, but for anyone who has a sense of value, you'll begin to feel like you've thrown your money into a pit, or bought a boat, it's about the same.

5. iPhones cost $100 per year- just to own. And that's the subsidized price. Read #2 and #4.

On the other hand, if you buy a droid, you'll be able to find use and support (albeit aftermarket support most likely) until the cellular company stops offing service on the network that phone uses.

I have an iPhone, and there's no way in hell I'll own another.

Here are the problems associated with the iPhone. . . .

Not my experience. Maybe I'm less than a "power user," but my iPhone experience has been pretty much flawless, with the exception of a wi-fi reception problem with my first iPhone (more on that later). However, I haven't owned a Droid, so I can't fairly comment on the relative virtues.

What I do like, as someone who's drunk the Kool-Aid (Apple Juice?), is that it all works very easily. There are a huge number of apps, including those included with the iPhone, that are well-integrated; multi-tasking (or maybe more accurately, task-switching) is easy; and the iPhone is a marvel when combined with a Mac computer and other peripherals like the AirPort Extreme, Apple TV, etc. As a techno-Luddite, I've been able to do things with my iPhone, computer, and peripherals that I would have thought only a certified geek could accomplish.

Really, the genius of the iPhone lies not just in its integration of functions and easy interface, but in its level of interoperability with other Apple devices. I did have one problem with my first iPhone: the wi-fi antenna went belly up after a couple of months. The solution? I took it to an Apple Store, an employee ran a two-minute test on it, determined it was goofed up, and handed me a brand-new phone. I know that Apple's customer service may not be perfect, but it's as good as I've encountered anywhere.

Generally, I start looking to replace an item when I experience problems or find it lacking in some way. I'm several years into my iPhone experience, and haven't had that happen yet. However, I have upgraded to newer phones as they are introduced. It seems to me that this is something I'd do anyway, even if I weren't an iPhone user, to be able to get the benefit of the latest product advances.

The upgrades haven't cost me much. Before I upgraded to the iPhone 4, I promised my 3GS to Gazelle.com and got about $20 less than the cost of the iPhone 4.

I've never been much of a brand cheerleader. I'm just as happy for the guy who drives a Chevy and is pleased with it, as I am for the guy who drives a Ford. However, my experiences with the iPhone have been excellent.

I love my iPhone 4 and have experienced NONE of the listed problems. I think it's one of the best gadgets I have ever owned. It's especially useful if you have a Mac and an iPad. They all work as a team. :D

Something is always coming; it's the tyranny of the new.

True dat. CES and GSM World Congress are usually the non-Apple's announce points. Apple has their own schedule.

By paying some attention you can be sure to avoid regret 30 days after sale.

Well, as a Droid user let me say I'm looking forward to moving over to the iPhone when version 5 hits this summer.

I've used and supported both Droids and iPhones for two years now, and, now that the iPhone is offered by someone other than AT&T, I've decided the iPhone is the way to go.

I'm a multi-decade geek who's decided he's got plenty of gadgets to play with. I just want my core tools to work. I patch together servers and tweak networks all day. When it comes down to my personal devices, I want appliances that deliver what I need, when I need it, no questions asked. That's why I'm typing this on a Mac, and will upgrade to the iPhone5 when it's released.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Nonsense.

Considering you have said nothing, I'd say the nonsense is your post.

Unless you're trying to tell me that all the things I listed as being a problem didn't actually happen to me.

EDIT @ 18:58 PST:

and I just did a hard reset of my iPhone (about a once daily occurrence) because it crashed while in sleep mode. I wonder if anyone tried to call me? Good thing I didn't need to make a call in a hurry.

Considering you have said nothing, I'd say the nonsense is your post.

Unless you're trying to tell me that all the things I listed as being a problem didn't actually happen to me.

Let's see:

"1. Apple controls all of your information. " Patently false. Does Apple control OS revs? Sure. But so do the Android handset makers and the telecom companies.

"All of your information" is simply too broad. I've got lots of information on my iPhone that Apple in no way controls.

"2. Any time a new OS is offered, you must not update but check all available forums on the topic to see if the update will actually be beneficial to your phone. Mind you, Apple will tell you it's the latest and greatest, but in reality it will probably ruin some of the functionality of your phone from which you cannot recover (read #1.)"

Most updates aren't going to "ruin" any functionality.

"3. You must use iTunes to manage your phone. iTunes is a massive memory hogging program that must be updated every time you want to update your phone (Read #2)."

It doesn't have to be updated every time you want to update an iPhone. Why, I just upgraded an iPhone the other day and didn't have to update.

"4. Planned obsolescence. Apple expects you to buy a new phone every time a new phone comes out. They have no interest in keeping your old phone alive or helping you to continue to use it even though it works perfectly well and will continue to for many more years. If your iPhone is 2 years old, forget it. Apple will be doing it's best to make your phone incredibly frustrating to use at 2 years so that you'll go drop the cash on a new one."

Yet, somehow, I continue to exist with a 2.5-year old iPhone.

That new phones come out is hardly planned obsolescence. And unlike the carriers and handset manufacturers, Apple continues to support older iPhones with software updates. (Android? You're on your own. I still don't have access to the latest Android rev on my Droid. Thanks, Motorola and Verizon for being so "open" and not planning obsolescence on my < 2 yo phone!)

"5. iPhones cost $100 per year- just to own. And that's the subsidized price. Read #2 and #4."

If numbers 2 & 4 were accurate, that might be correct.

If comparable phones were any different, it might even be worthy of the rant.

and I just did a hard reset of my iPhone (about a once daily occurrence) because it crashed while in sleep mode. I wonder if anyone tried to call me? Good thing I didn't need to make a call in a hurry.

Not to downplay your problems, but I've never heard of anyone having to do a daily reset of their iPhone. You, sir, have a messed up phone. But, I'd caution against extrapolating your experience to the wide, wide world of iPhone owners. In the years I've had iPhones, I've had to do resets maybe a half dozen times, if that many. A couple of weeks ago, a friend of mine asked about how to do a reset . . . and she'd had her iPhone for over a year.

Any manufacturer can put out a lemon or two, but I've never run into anyone who's had an issue that they couldn't readily fix or get fixed (with the notable exception of data coverage, which is, for some, a serious problem, albeit with the network).

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Not to downplay your problems, but I've never heard of anyone having to do a daily reset of their iPhone. You, sir, have a messed up phone. But, I'd caution against extrapolating your experience to the wide, wide world of iPhone owners. In the years I've had iPhones, I've had to do resets maybe a half dozen times, if that many. A couple of weeks ago, a friend of mine asked about how to do a reset . . . and she'd had her iPhone for over a year.

Any manufacturer can put out a lemon or two, but I've never run into anyone who's had an issue that they couldn't readily fix or get fixed (with the notable exception of data coverage, which is, for some, a serious problem, albeit with the network).

Well that is very interesting. Considering that every person I know with the same model phone that I have experience practically the same issues, I'd have to wonder weather there was an entire batch of bad phones sent to the bay area.

Also, since you admittedly upgrade at practically every introduction of a new phone, you would hardly be the test case for someone who keeps one for more than 2 years.

Greg- if Apple erases the old backup copies of your phone off of your computer when you upgrade to a new iOS, they are most certainly controlling your information and invading your computer. They did mine. And you're right, I probably had one iOS upgrade that didn't require a new version of iTunes. I stand corrected.

Well that is very interesting. Considering that every person I know with the same model phone that I have experience practically the same issues, I'd have to wonder weather there was an entire batch of bad phones sent to the bay area.

One more thing that validates my decision to move away from California.

Also, since you admittedly upgrade at practically every introduction of a new phone, you would hardly be the test case for someone who keeps one for more than 2 years.

You're right. I had the iPhone 3, then the 3GS, then the 4. As I mentioned above, with the easily accessible market for used iPhones, it's pretty close to a no-cost option to upgrade. And, it's as easy as pie. Just plug into your 'puter and let it know that you're replacing the old one. Mother Apple takes care of the rest.

Most of the people I know have the 3GS or the 4, though one comes to mind who still has the original iPhone. Still, no one has mentioned these types of issues. Of course, maybe it's just too shameful to discuss with others. One thing that I'd note personally is that I just couldn't live with an ancient iPhone (like one that's a couple years old. :grin:), given the fact that I've come to rely on it more and more--I've got thousands of photos, songs, .pdfs and more on it, and have loaded scads of apps, including some that really make my life easier (or so I think).

Still, if it ain't workin' for you, it ain't workin' for you. I just haven't had anything like the problems you've had. On behalf of iPhone fanboys everywhere, I apologize. You should either get a Droid or upgrade your iPhone.

Boney--I'm getting a little off topic here, but if you haven't done so, try to "restore" your phone. I can PM you, if you need instructions.

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Boney--I'm getting a little off topic here, but if you haven't done so, try to "restore" your phone. I can PM you, if you need instructions.

Thanks for the offer. I've done just about everything suggested to try to make it as fast as it used to be. Short of hacking back to 3.2.x and starting all over, there's nothing.

Thanks for the offer. I've done just about everything suggested to try to make it as fast as it used to be. Short of hacking back to 3.2.x and starting all over, there's nothing.

Sure there is:

techrage2.jpg

Thanks, Motorola and Verizon for being so "open" and not planning obsolescence on my < 2 yo phone!)

To be fair, if you've got the original Droid, your love should be directed to Google. Droid, like the NexusOne and NexusS, has pure google software. Motorola, nor Verizon, really have much to say about release planning for it.

Having said that, Google was pretty fast with a FroYo upgrade, and I'm not seeing a huge reason to fall in love with Gingerbread.

And while Apple does release new software for old devices, new features may not be supported or perform well on older hardware. In essence they decide to end of life devices just like everyone else.

To be fair, if you've got the original Droid, your love should be directed to Google. Droid, like the NexusOne and NexusS, has pure google software. Motorola, nor Verizon, really have much to say about release planning for it.

You mean, other than the fact that I'm dependent upon them to make such releases available?

And while Apple does release new software for old devices, new features may not be supported or perform well on older hardware. In essence they decide to end of life devices just like everyone else.

Sure. But Tom's argument was that an iPhone is worthless after 2 years. And yet, I can freely upgrade my iPhone to the latest release. Can't do so with my Droid. Are some features not there? Sure. Such would also be the case with my Droid.

The subject is "Droid vs. iPhone". Tom seemed to be suggesting that one shouldn't consider the iPhone in such a comparison, based on the reasons he rattled off. I'm suggesting support for older Android-based devices is often much worse.

Since Google is set to announce Android 3.0, it must be something significant.

Black sync cables?

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Sure. But Tom's argument was that an iPhone is worthless after 2 years. And yet, I can freely upgrade my iPhone to the latest release. Can't do so with my Droid. Are some features not there? Sure. Such would also be the case with my Droid.

Let's be perfectly clear about what I was saying. My iPhone is practically worthless after 2 years because Apple releases upgrades for it that are not appropriate for my model. They tell you it's great- they insist that you upgrade if you want to run certain apps, but in the end what they do is leave you with a piece of equipment that is less than it was before the upgrade. On top of that, they give you no option to go back, and make it impossible to restore settings from a previous OS backup by deleting that information from my computer when I upgraded.

I would rather they tell me that the new OS is not appropriate for my phone and using it will harm it's performance (like just about every other company on the planet does.) To find this information, one must use a web forum not associated with Apple to discover other people's experiences.

I would gladly go back to using iOS 3.2.1, which was the last usable OS for my phone. In fact, if Apple gave me a way to do it AND save my information, I'd do so in a second and have little or nothing to complain about. Apple won't let me and they have done a very decent job of blocking my attempts to do it with second-hand software. Additionally, they have made it somewhat unattractive as I will loose EVERYTHING that is on my phone right now if I choose to do it.

CLEARLY there is a demand for this. You can Google just about anything "iphone 3g" and find thousands of threads about it. Why apple chooses to alienate those who would rather use their equipment until it needs to be replaced, nobody knows.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Sure there is:

techrage2.jpg

Don't get the idea for even a second that I haven't thought about it. In fact the only reason I haven't thrown it against the wall is that I've never had the guts to release my fingers at the end of the swing.

In fact the only reason I haven't thrown it against the wall is that I've never had the guts to release my fingers at the end of the swing.

Boney, why do you force us to guess between the lines to figure out how you really feel about your iPhone? ;)

Jay

Boney, do I dare ask what is actually going wrong with your iPhone that used to work so well?

I bought my iPhone before any of the Droids were available, so that wasn't an option at the time. I have had my iPhone 3Gs now for over a year and a half, have done every iTunes and iOS upgrade that has become available, and haven't had one issue with any of it. I'm also responsible for keeping my wife's iPhone 4 up to date and running smoothly for past ~6 months, and that has been issue free as well. The only time I have had to reset it in those 1.5 years has been after a iOS upgrade. One time after an update it was chewing through the battery in about 6 hours. After a quick internet search and a reset, everything was back to normal. Now I just reset it out of habit after each sync or update.

So far, the biggest PITA I've had was moving both phones and iTunes accounts from our old computer to the new one I just built over the holidays. I 100% agree that iTunes is horrible and the world would be a better place without it. With that being said, the rest of my iPhone ownership experience has been great. Just wondering what specific issues you are having that you think downgrading operating systems will fix?

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Keith,

Specific 3G phone issues are this:

1. Text program takes 20 to 30 seconds to load if it is not in memory already. Phone cannot do anything else until it has loaded.

2. To open, then search within the map app is a minimum of 1 minute. Phone cannot do anything else until it has loaded.

3. Text app freezes while device is in sleep mode, causing a total system jam and eventual forced reset. This is somewhat random, but happens pretty much on a daily basis. This is what irks me the most, as this pretty much kills the point of having a mobile phone in the first place. Not to mention the reset takes minutes. Let's hope I never have to make an emergency call.

4. Overall, the phone is, I don't know- maybe 30-40% slower in function (excepting the specifics above) than on any of the 3.x.x iOS.

These are known issues of iOS 4.x.x & 3G phone that have not been resolved. I would honestly say that I could deal with all of Apple's other crap if they would acknowledge and fix the problems they've created for 3G owners by allowing the 4.x upgrade. But they don't. Go to the Apple forum and they'll tell you everything is perfect. It's kind of like BMW telling us we don't know how to properly ride our motorcycles when we experience real rideability issues.

The worst part is that now I don't trust Apple to tell me the truth. How do I know that the latest iOS upgrade will resolve my problems? In the past they have actually worsened the performance of my phone, even though Apple says it will fix them. So basically, I'm stuck with a half-working phone because I'm not willing to take the chance of making it worse with the latest update.

Well, if it is any consolation, lot's of folk in the Android world are still waiting for Version 2.2 (froyo), which was released last June. Manufacturers and carriers are not updating a number of reasonably recent phone models at all. Where updates have been announced, they suffer from repeated delays. Then when updates are released the rest of the world gets them before we do. We are almost two revisions behind now. The first 2.2 updates are just now reaching Samsung phones in the US on t-mobile and verizon. Not ATT or Sprint yet.

This wouldn't be so much of an issue if the update wasn't supposed to fix actual faults, but in the case of my phone, it is, or so it is rumored.

It's also supposed to increase phone performance dramatically, and bring some new features.

Samsung is getting hammered throughout the techosphere for repeated delays.

So I'm not sure the grass is any greener over here.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Classic:

Just out of curiosity I checked to see what the new OS is for my phone. I got this message:

A new iPhone software version (4.2) is available, but requires iTunes 10.1.2. Would you like to download 10.1.2 now?

So yeah, pretty much what I said Greg, every iOS update needs an iTunes update too.

Classic:

Just out of curiosity I checked to see what the new OS is for my phone. I got this message:

A new iPhone software version (4.2) is available, but requires iTunes 10.1.2. Would you like to download 10.1.2 now?

So yeah, pretty much what I said Greg, every iOS update needs an iTunes update too.

That's not actually the case, though they do sometimes require it. Regardless, why don't you go ahead and do the updates? If your phone is currently messed up, it wouldn't seem that you could be any worse off.

There have been iPhone updates that didn't require an iTunes update.

But, you said:

iTunes is a massive memory hogging program that must be updated every time you want to update your phone (Read #2).

Which, again, is not true.

Not that I see how it matters. If every update only pushes you one step closer to Apple's planned obsolescence, why would you ever apply them?

Look, I get it. You're having iPhone problems. Lots of people aren't. Sometimes those things happen.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Perhaps I've already said it, but it's worth repeating.

If Apple were to provide me with a viable way to make my phone perform remotely as well as it did when new, or even better, at OS 3.x.x, then I'd really have nothing to complain about. However, they have done nothing but deliberately get in the way of any attempt to bring my phone back into a state that resembles what it was before they encouraged me to update to an OS that isn't appropriate.

And if you mean "there's a class action lawsuit over iOS 4.0 on the 3G" when you say "lots of people aren't" then we understand each other perfectly.

And if you mean "there's a class action lawsuit over iOS 4.0 on the 3G" when you say "lots of people aren't" then we understand each other perfectly.

Sure. I always use the existence of a class action lawsuit to gauge whether there's actually widespread harm to individuals.

Don't have an iPhone, but I got my wife an iPod Touch for Christmas. Christmas day was a nightmare. Her Macbook was running OS 10.4 and a version of iTunes earlier than what the iPod Touch required, which required OS 10.5+. The optical drive on her Macbook stopped reading DVDs about 6 months ago, so I couldn't upgrade the OS. She didn't have an iTunes account. Eventually, I realized that an external USB optical drive could be used to update OS X, which permitted updating iTunes, which allowed syncing with the Macbook.Then she forgot her password for iTunes store.

I received a Google Chrome OS Cr-48 on December 17. Since then, two (if I remember correctly) upgrades of Chrome OS required rebooting, otherwise, upgrading was a transparent process. The more I use Chrome OS, the more I dislike traditional operating systems.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Sure. I always use the existence of a class action lawsuit to gauge whether there's actually widespread harm to individuals.

Well perhaps the existence of one shows that there's a widespread issue whether or not there's been any actual harm.

The merit of the lawsuit may be in question, but the volume of people having it is not.

Pulled the plug and purchased a Motorola DroidX on Thursday. I like it so far - it seems easy to use. Haven't figured out how to move my MS Outlook Contacts into the gmail address book yet. Other than that everything else seems pretty simple.

A BIG THANKS for all your inputs. BMWST.com ROCKS!

Archived