IGNORED

R1150RT Screw Plug Question

bluesguitarboy

bluesguitarboy

I just bought a new (to me) 2002 R1150RT. There is a screw plug in the side of the oil sump. The side opposite the sight glass. Mine is weeping oil and my question is why is it there. What possible purpose could it serve. I looked it up on a micro fiche. Evidently there is a spring and piston underneath it but that's all the info I could find. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Blueguitarboy

Welcome to the forum I hope you find it as helpful as I have since I arrived.

From what you describe the weep appears to be from the oil pressure releif valve cover plug, there should be a copper washer under the head ( 07119963342 ) and should be tightened to 42 Nm.

You might find it usefull to fill in your profile as it can be helpful for others to be more accurate with specific information, with problems due to the changes between US and euro bikes

One thing to do if you have a torque wrench is to get the manual and check the torque settings FIRST!

Then go around your sump and bottom of cylinders and check the torque of the various bolts etc. You will prolly find a few of the sump fittings are loose...especially the (size from memory!) 5mm hex bolts at the front of the sump, below the alt belt cover:thumbsup:.

Hi Blueguitarboy

Philbytx is correct, just checked the BMW manual and that gives a torque of 35Nm not the 42Nm as given in the haynes Manual ..... so always doublecheck my slip up there.

Archived